Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hosting my own website. what do i need?

Options
  • 20-02-2008 2:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭

as the title says.
    I'm setting up a buisness at the moment and want to have a website. I want to have a domain name so www.example.com kind of thing.
    Is there any way i can do this my self? like use my computer as a server or what do i need?
    i have some basic knowledge but not enough.
    A quick google came up with websites offering domains etc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

While you *could* do it, it doesn't sound like you have the technical skills to manage it.

You can get hosting for under 50 euro a year, so why bother trying to do it yourself when you could devote your energies to your business?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭CoNfOuNd

It would be cheaper to use a webhost than start your own server, when you take into consideration all the time spent and costs involved in getting a server setup and running.

As Blacknight says, dedicate the time to your business.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

Running a server yourself is of course an option ...

1 Cost of the machine ...
    (you could probably get away with a maching costing 100 - 200 quid)

2 Cost of the electricity to have it on 24 x 7 x 365
    (an online site said 520 kilowatt/hours used per year ... on a machine left on 4 hours per day ... thats already 52 quid ??? and only on 4 hours)

3 Broadband cost .. and does your broadband provider allow you to run a server ? If not you're in breach of contract.

Time to figure out Apache / IIS ... get it secure ... and so on ... install ASP / PHP / Mysql / MSSQL ... and so on ... performing backups ... and so on

Or as Blacknight said .. you could spend less than 50 quid and have practically 100% uptime.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭congo_90

cheers to all.
    I think i will allow somebody else do all the hosting. I was just seeing is it cheaper/more efficient to run on my own. I got a PM from somebody mentioning blacknight solutions. seems a pretty sound company. I may be getting in contact with them over this. I will keep you posted.
    thanks for all the feedback

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

You'd be barking mad to do it yourself - Blacknight or Hosting 365 are fantastic value for money - pick whichever are more suited to your individual needs

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 rizwan

i wont suggest you dedicate server. first you need to find out the traffic... better go for share hosting services. ... try this.. very cheap [link removed] let me know if you need help in developing and designing site.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,569 ✭✭✭harringtonp

There was a time when hosting something yourself would have made sense, but hosting providers have become so competitive and cheap, it is the way to go.

I develop locally on a Ubuntu Server Linux laptop (got a static address from broadband provider) and then upload to hosting365. But there is no reason not to develop/test on the provider's server itself (its just a little slower)

[Hosting talk snipped]

Paul.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Guys, please read the charter regarding hosting recommendations. I don't want to have to go deleting any one elses threads.

Advertisement