Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

headshop in athlone

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Sorry for digging up an old thread but there is a place on Paynes Lane beside Charcoal Grill calling itself a 'Seed shop'
    Looks like a head shop rebrand. Is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭stapolinhosting

They better be ready for the mob of concerned locals... I know a few of the women involved in the protests last time round and they will stop at nothing to get those sort of shops out of the town.... lol.

I think the shop your thinking of is Au Naturel.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭tubos

Saw it the other day alright, its right beside charcoal grill, there have been a few different shops in that unit lately. Looks like it calls itself a 'grow shop' is that right? I thought it was a mini garden centre when I first caught a glimpse of it. But it sells bongs and ther 'paraphenalia'!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

They better be ready for the mob of concerned locals... I know a few of the women involved in the protests last time round and they will stop at nothing to get those sort of shops out of the town.... lol.

I think the shop your thinking of is Au Naturel.

Maybe these women should start to mind their own business and realise that in the modern day people should be allowed to have choice

Maybe these women should start to mind their own business and realise that in the modern day people should be allowed to have choice

The last thing I want my kids to see when I bring them into town is a bunch of stoners hanging around.

Maybe some of these people should stop spending the dole money we work hard to earn for them on ****e that can only do more harm than good to their bodies..... just sayin.

Most of these 'modern day' people (yes I know a few so don't say I don't know what I talking about), do nothing but sit around all day getting stoned and think how great it is to not have job when they can just collect their dole instead and then spend it on ****e. Well, those guys are spending my tax money on that ****e... so no, I don't think they should have a choice, not until they start earning their own money instead of spending mine and other peoples money on the stuff.... again, just sayin!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

I was wondering about that place but forgot about it until I saw this thread. Pretty sure they have/had a sign on the door saying "No School Uniforms".

The last thing I want my kids to see when I bring them into town is a bunch of stoners hanging around.

Maybe some of these people should stop spending the dole money we work hard to earn for them on ****e that can only do more harm than good to their bodies..... just sayin.

Most of these 'modern day' people (yes I know a few so don't say I don't know what I talking about), do nothing but sit around all day getting stoned and think how great it is to not have job when they can just collect their dole instead and then spend it on ****e. Well, those guys are spending my tax money on that ****e... so no, I don't think they should have a choice, not until they start earning their own money instead of spending mine and other peoples money on the stuff.... again, just sayin!
    Oh you know a "few" do you, you're post reeks of condensation and clearly you have no clue what you're talking about, you assume that all "stoners" are on the dole spending "your" money.
    If there was a title for pathetic post of the year this would win it hands down.
    Seriously, get off your high horse and bring your kids to a different town seeing as you hate this one so much

Oh you know a "few" do you, you're post reeks of condensation and clearly you have no clue what you're talking about, you assume that all "stoners" are on the dole spending "your" money.
    If there was a title for pathetic post of the year this would win it hands down.
    Seriously, get off your high horse and bring your kids to a different town seeing as you hate this one so much

I didn't say ALL, did I?

But the ones that can hang around all day are hardly out working, now are they?

Athlone is a great town, and I would never move my kids for the sake of a few stoners. I'm not on any high horse, its just sad to what hard times can do to people... some of the 'few' people I know were once very hard workers and loved working, but now they got nothing but dole money and all the time in the world to kill, usually smoking some sort of crap and hanging around town cause they have nothing better to do.

I didn't say ALL, did I?

Athlone is a great town, and I would never move my kids for the sake of a few stoners. I'm not on any high horse, its just sad to what hard times can do to people... some of the 'few' people I know were once very hard workers and loved working, but now they got nothing but dole money and all the time in the world to kill, usually smoking some sort of crap and hanging around town cause they have nothing better to do.

you clearly have some sort of agenda with your altered self thought up views on the life of someone on the dole

i wont be further dignifying your ignorance with a response

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

I didn't say ALL, did I?

Which would you rather your kids see, a bunch of stoners hanging around town or a bunch of drunkards? I know which I'd choose from my experiences with both. With the amount of pubs in Athlone I don't see what harm one single grow shop can do considering that cannabis has been proven to be a less harmful drug than alcohol.

I've never been in the shop myself and I probably won't need to, but I love the fact that it exists there in Irishtown. It's a like big middle finger to the small-minded, conservative folks of Athlone.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Offy

I didn't say ALL, did I?

Athlone is a great town??? In my opinion Athlone is a kip. I pay enough tax to keep two people on the dole each week and I dont mind if people on the dole smoke dope every day of the week. Im not on a high horse - see the difference? See the way you point your finger at others? Thats exactly what makes Athlone a kip!!!

Offy wrote: »
    Athlone is a great town??? In my opinion Athlone is a kip. I pay enough tax to keep two people on the dole each week and I dont mind if people on the dole smoke dope every day of the week. Im not on a high horse - see the difference? See the way you point your finger at others? Thats exactly what makes Athlone a kip!!!

Right, let me give you a little background check...

I used to run a homeless unit in Dublin, many of the people I took in were either straight off the streets or straight out of prison, 99% of them hooked on something or other. I have put my time and energy into helping these guys for years, and many have done very well, gone clean, got good jobs and are picking up from where they left off before their 'bad turn', The other lot would have no problem robbing you, robbing anyone else in the house (their own kids sometimes), or even holding a knife to your neck to get what they need, which is usually money to buy more sh1t. So when I say I know a few.. its that type of few im talking about.. the ones who look like they couldn't hurt a fly but would have no problem steeling from their own kids to get a bit of smoke (and much more) for themselves...

I have had to pull these guys off their girlfriends and wives to stop them from beating the crap out of them, just cause they refused to give them money for drugs.. all because they had spent all their DOLE on sh1t and need more. So if you have no problem with people like that, then I feel sorry for you, because their are the people who laugh at people like you cause they know that no matter what, every week they will be paid and every week that (your) money will be spent on drugs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

I used to run a homeless unit in Dublin, many of the people I took in were either straight off the streets or straight out of prison, 99% of them hooked on something or other. I have put my time and energy into helping these guys for years, and many have done very well, gone clean, got good jobs and are picking up from where they left off before their 'bad turn', The other lot would have no problem robbing you, robbing anyone else in the house (their own kids sometimes), or even holding a knife to your neck to get what they need, which is usually money to buy more sh1t. So when I say I know a few.. its that type of few im talking about.. the ones who look like they couldn't hurt a fly but would have no problem steeling from their own kids to get a bit of smoke (and much more) for themselves...

I have had to pull these guys off their girlfriends and wives to stop them from beating the crap out of them, just cause they refused to give them money for drugs.. all because they had spent all their DOLE on sh1t and need more. So if you have no problem with people like that, then I feel sorry for you, because their are the people who laugh at people like you cause they know that no matter what, every week they will be paid and every week that (your) money will be spent on drugs.
    You're blowing this completely out of proportion, making a mountain out of a mole-hill. What you've just done is painted the life of a heroin addict, a far cry from an average dope smoker. If you're going to jump to the conclusion that everyone who lights a joint is a junkie on the dole then there is no way that anyone is going to take you seriously. It's funny that you are moaning about people spending all their dole money on drugs when there are more people spending their dole money on alcohol. Why are you targeting headshops? Why not target pubs and off-licences as well? I also find it ironic that you're complaining about people on the dole where if you were to get your wish, and that all headshops or growshops in the country close overnight, more people would find themselves out of a job and onto the dole.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭SimonLynch

Can you get dehumidifiers in these shops? :)

Allow me to educate you. If they didnt get the dole they would simply rob, loot and riot to get what they want. So by giving a little we get to keep a lot. I say Athlone is a kip because those that give a little, like you, do it and look down their nose at those they are giving a little to. Your post proves my point. Athlone has to many people that like to wear a halo when they want the public to think they are helping others but in reality they think they are better than those they claim to help. Condescending, snobbish, patronizing and belittling.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭flazio

flazio wrote: »
    Sorry for digging up an old thread
    No, really. I am.

Allow me to educate you. If they didnt get the dole they would simply rob, loot and riot to get what they want. So by giving a little we get to keep a lot. I say Athlone is a kip because those that give a little, like you, do it and look down their nose at those they are giving a little to. Your post proves my point. Athlone has to many people that like to wear a halo when they want the public to think they are helping others but in reality they think they are better than those they claim to help. Condescending, snobbish, patronizing and belittling.

True enough, but you got me all wrong... im not snobbish, patronizing or belittling.. far from it. I know plenty who are, and just help people to make themselves look good.. those sort of people I don't really have much time for.

Personally, I will help someone who wants to be helped, someone who needs it and someone who is willing to put in the effort and not just take a handout and I wont ask for anything in return except that whoever I help doesn't let themselves down. Ive been at the bottom, but i'm far from the top.

I still don't like to see people hanging around with nothing better to do than smoke sh1te and worse, and use the money I worked for to do it. Ok, I agree that if they didnt have the dole they would find other ways, but they only have themselves to blame for not trying to do more for themselves and their families. I support the ones who try, even if they fail, at least they tried.. but their are many who could not give a crap and are happy to live like that without a second thought for anyone else, and even those guys who get the dole still rob because the dole will only pay for a bit of their habbit, the rest fo the money has to come from somewhere else, and if they got no job, then there is only one other way to get it if its not handed to them.

Maybe Athlone and other towns need to be more aware of the growing drug problems and provide services to help people. I know of a few places around Ireland, but the waiting lists can be very long to get into them which is not really helpful to anyone. The will power it can take to come off something is only strong for a short while, and by the time someone gets a place, they don't want it any more. Its a bad situation, but their are solutions, and head shops are definitely not one of them.

I still don't like to see people hanging around with nothing better to do than smoke sh1te and worse, and use the money I worked for to do it.

Does this mean we can solely blame you for the drug problems in Athlone?
    Come on now, Get off your
    high%2Bhorse.jpg

Does this mean we can solely blame you for the drug problems in Athlone?
    Come on now, Get off your..

Eh, yeah... that doesn't even make sense. But if you makes you feel better, fire away :)

What high horse? Am I not allowed an opinion like everyone else?

All I said was I didn't like my kids seeing that sort of thing, some do, some don't.. im one of the ones who don't... and I think I have explained my reasons why pretty clear.

I think some people just don't like to hear the reality of things.. maybe its easier for them to just ignore it and let someone else deal with it while they post laughable comments online and hide behind the safety of their computer... whatever make ye happy :)

Eh, yeah... that doesn't even make sense. But if you makes you feel better, fire away :)

What high horse? Am I not allowed an opinion like everyone else?

All I said was I didn't like my kids seeing that sort of thing, some do, some don't.. im one of the ones who don't... and I think I have explained my reasons why pretty clear.

I think some people just don't like to hear the reality of things.. maybe its easier for them to just ignore it and let someone else deal with it while they post laughable comments online and hide behind the safety of their computer... whatever make ye happy :)

The reality of things is that the war on drugs is a complete failure and a waste of taxpayers money. Trying to stop people taking drugs is like trying to stop people eating. Get over it, accept it and move on. Holding people in contempt because they choose not to work and smoke dope everyday is stupid. Perhaps you would be happier if you let the hate go?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

Holding people in contempt because they choose not to work and smoke dope everyday is stupid.

ehh... where does the money for "dope" come from? I'd sure as hell hold them in contempt if they choose not to work and get wasted instead and not just with drugs, but with alcohol too.

Are you saying you have no problem with people using your tax money to get wasted and lay around all day?

The reality of things is that the war on drugs is a complete failure and a waste of taxpayers money.

Bit of a contradiction there don't you think.... you say that's a waste of tax payers money... so is paying them to take drugs somehow NOT a waste of taxpayers money?

I wouldn't give my best friend money for drugs, so why should I give it to complete strangers.

BoB_BoT wrote: »
    Are you saying you have no problem with people using your tax money to get wasted and lay around all day?

Correct.

Bit of a contradiction there don't you think.... you say that's a waste of tax payers money... so is paying them to take drugs somehow NOT a waste of taxpayers money?

I wouldn't give my best friend money for drugs, so why should I give it to complete strangers.

Stop trying to change the conversation, wow what a sad effort to twist the conversation around to suit yourself. You really have this debating thing off to a tee!!!
    As it happens I would give an addict money to buy drugs and have done so in the past. I, however, wouldnt sit on a high horse looking down at them ranting on about all the help I give to adicts, I'll leave that up to you to do......

Stop trying to change the conversation, wow what a sad effort to twist the conversation around to suit yourself. You really have this debating thing off to a tee!!!
    As it happens I would give an addict money to buy drugs and have done so in the past. I, however, wouldnt sit on a high horse looking down at them ranting on about all the help I give to adicts, I'll leave that up to you to do......

I didnt change the conversation.. I replied to your comment..

And whos looking down on anyone? not me. If you want to feed habbits, fire away, no body stopping you.

I only helped people who wanted help, no one else. I know what its like first hand, and how hard it can be to turn your sh1t around, so best to leave it at that yeah..

Drugs are bad, simple as that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

What's the ratio of pubs to headshops in Athlone?

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭athlonelad

Who cares. This is getting old now and petty

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Dmartin22196

Is myth and magic still open?

Advertisement