Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suns V Lakers (Shaq's Debut) - Wed 20th

Options
  • 20-02-2008 7:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭

Lot of trash talking going down stateside in the build up to this game. Even Phil Jackson has got involved.
    Shaq ready to take on LA Lakers and critics

20th February 2008, 12:00 WST

Shaquille O’Neal says he is ready to run with the Phoenix Suns. Really.

“I’m going to be looking to get out like (NFL receivers) Randy Moss and Terrell Owens,” he said on Tuesday after going through his final workout before making his debut with the Suns on Wednesday against his old NBA team, the Los Angeles Lakers.

The prospect of the 7-foot-1, 325-pound (2.16-meter, 148-kilogram) O’Neal, at age 35, fitting in with the high-octane Suns has been ridiculed across much of the NBA.

The Lakers’ Phil Jackson, O’Neal’s former coach, said Shaq’s role would be “taking the ball out of bounds and waiting for the other team to get back.”

“He’s a jokester, and that’s funny, very funny,” Shaq said without smiling. “Ha-ha. Very funny.”

Suns coach Mike D’Antoni says people will be surprised about how well a motivated O’Neal can move, and playmaker Steve Nash was elated with the trade that brought O’Neal from the Miami Heat for Shawn Marion and Marcus Banks.

“We’re going to have to adjust slightly to his strengths,” Nash said, “but you know where he’s strong we’ve been weak, and that’s having a big presence in the paint, taking up space and guarding the rim.”

O’Neal says he has no desire to be a star with his new team. Those roles belong to Nash and Amare Stoudemire, he said.

“I’m more like a senior adviser so I don’t like to come in here and try to take over,” O’Neal said. ... “Just like your basic karate movie where the young guys come to the old guys with beards who have them do weird stuff to get to the other side. That’s who I am, the old guy with a long beard.”

Long pause.

“You like that analogy?” he said, obviously pleased with himself. “That was pretty good?”

Nash was a willing sidekick.

“I think this is his 73rd Asian martial arts film,” he said. “We’re excited to learn from the great master.”

Shaq’s charisma and humor have energized the Suns franchise since last week’s trade, with the anticipation building toward Wednesday’s showdown with Jackson, Kobe Bryant, Spanish newcomer Pau Gasol and the rest of the Lakers. O’Neal insisted there is nothing special about the opponent being the Lakers, other than the fact that it’s a tough Pacific Division foe.

O’Neal helped the Lakers win their last three championships in 2000, ’01 and ’02, and was the finals MVP each time. He won a fourth NBA title with Miami in 2006.

“We had more great times than bad times together, but they’ve moved on, I’ve moved on,” O’Neal said. “I have a new team now and I have a new focus.”

Still, Jackson’s comments have not been brushed aside.

“I don’t take anything personal,” O’Neal said. “I just have a certain file in my head, so Earthlings must be careful with what they say.”

O’Neal has played in four games since injuring his left hip on Dec. 22. He returned on Jan. 16, but was sidelined again after a Jan. 24 game.

He said his hip feels good but will play only about 20 minutes against the Lakers, D’Antoni said. O’Neal will be in the starting lineup.

Personally I hope the Suns destroy them with Shaq getting a couple of points and answering some critics.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

Xavi6 wrote: »

Personally I hope the Suns destroy them with Shaq getting a couple of points and answering some critics.

I hear that... C'mon Shaq, take that mouthy punk Kobe down...

Disappointed in Jackson, he usually carries himself with more class than that...

Where can this game be seen online and what's tip-off Irish time?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Coming to the end of the first with the Lakers just in front. Shaq has been on the court and has had an assist.

EDIT: I'm watching the in-game here -

http://www.nba.com/games/20080220/LALPHX/gameinfo.html?nav=scoreboardhome

And he's off the mark!

Lakers 130 - 124 Suns

A close game all the way through, though I don't think the Suns ever really took the lead. Kobe top scored with a massive 41 points, Stoudemire was second with 36, Gasol had 29 and Nash 26.

As for Shaq? Well he had a lot of game time (29 minutes) and posted some good numbers all things considering -
    15 points
    9 rebounds
    3 assists
    2 blocks
    5 fouls

Pity they couldn't get the win.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Lakers 130 - 124 Suns

A close game all the way through, though I don't think the Suns ever really took the lead. Kobe top scored with a massive 41 points, Stoudemire was second with 36, Gasol had 29 and Nash 26.

As for Shaq? Well he had a lot of game time (29 minutes) and posted some good numbers all things considering -
    15 points
    9 rebounds
    3 assists
    2 blocks
    5 fouls

Pity they couldn't get the win.

Sounds like a decent game - high-scoring, close enough too... pity for Shaq but those are respectable numbers...

• Advertisement
Advertisement