Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Witcher to be re-released

Options
  • 20-02-2008 10:02am
    Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭

CD Project plan to re-release RPG The Witcher for the PC in May. The highly sucessful game sold over a million copies in Europe probably to do with its massive fan base in Poland.

Anyway the game got good reviews but was noted as being quite buggy. It has numerous stability issues (XP and Vista) and long loading times. Other negative comments where the repetitive look of NPCs, difficult to use inventory. The English version lso had much less text the other versions. The combat system was noted as difficult to use. Some dialogue was noted as lost in translation from its Polish origins.

The release is suppose to see 80% improvements in load times, much improved stability. 50 new NPC characters, redesigned inventory and game screen. Fixes to the combat system, much more text added to English version. Lip-synching will be redone as well 100 new aminations added to Geralt and NPCs.

The game will cost the same as a standard edition but people who buy it in May will get an enhanced version which includes a game editor and two new mini-adventures, a making-of DVD, a CD of game music, a CD of music inspired by the game, an enormous instruction booklet, an official guide and a 50-page story by Andrzej Sapkowksi - author of the inspirational Witcher novels.

Finally the update will be made available free to people who already bought the game so they won't miss out on the improvements to the game.

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=92986

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I was planning on picking it up anyway, this seals it for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

It's great to see a software company make amends for a poor release..helll I might even pick it up too now.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

The thing is, I didn't even think it was a poor release. Thank god they're releasing a patch for those who already got it though. It'd just piss me off if I missed out on the extras.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

:(

seems like another chance for the escapist to rip the piss outa it

i didnt like it at all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

I enjoyed it, but unfortunately started on a high difficulty and can't change it during the game, and got too far to consider starting from the beginning:o
    Might give it another lash when this patch comes out.

The saving times were the most annoying thing for an F5 whore such as me, load times were all that bad tbh...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Fair play to them. I've actually been thinking of getting this for a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭chamlis

I actually stopped playing after the second level or so. This might persuade me to start again...

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

Fair play to them. I've actually been thinking of getting this for a while.

Ditto. Other games just kept getting in the way of me getting this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Installed it, killed the first few guys, read Yahtzees review..uninstalled. :-/

Might give it another bash when the patch comes out :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

That's your problem. yahtzees reviews are meant to be scathing. Once you start into the main game, it's fantastic.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

humanji wrote: »
    That's your problem. yahtzees reviews are meant to be scathing. Once you start into the main game, it's fantastic.
    I know, I got it on a friends recommendation and he rarely recommends stuff so it had to be worth it.

Didn't have time to devote to an rpg at the time.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

I'm literally half way through it now. Loving it. As for bugs I've had it crash about twice - both were at the main menu - doesn't seem to like two loads in one PC session - ie, reboot between plays if you exit to windows.

The load times are however appalling. I've it installed on a raptor drive and it still takes an age. It doesn't cache the previous area for quick-reload, so if you enter a house from the main area to pick up 6 gold or something trvial you have to wait about 1:30/2 mins for the main area to load.

Other than that its a good game, storyline is decent and you get to screw loads of women and see their titties and there's cussin and fightin. What more could an average geek ask for. :D

Worth a look.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭Hitman Actual

I'm literally half way through it now. Loving it. As for bugs I've had it crash about twice - both were at the main menu - doesn't seem to like two loads in one PC session - ie, reboot between plays if you exit to windows.

The load times are however appalling. I've it installed on a raptor drive and it still takes an age. It doesn't cache the previous area for quick-reload, so if you enter a house from the main area to pick up 6 gold or something trvial you have to wait about 1:30/2 mins for the main area to load.

Other than that its a good game, storyline is decent and you get to screw loads of women and see their titties and there's cussin and fightin. What more could an average geek ask for. :D

Worth a look.

Did you download the 1.2 patch? Load times are radically improved with that (I have it installed on a Raptor as well).

I think it's a very under-rated game as well, but it takes a while to get into. Definitely don't judge it on the prologue, which is the poorest part of the game, imo.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

I think I have the 1.2 patch but not sure. Must check. I remember the download was about 130megs when I did update it.

Advertisement