Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

REMINDER - Total Lunar Eclipse Tonight (Wed)

Options
  • 20-02-2008 10:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

A total lunar eclipse will be occurring tonight (Wed 20th Feb), peaking at about 3:30am :eek: I almost forgot about this one so I thought I'd post up a quick reminder about it. An excellent summary of the event by Dave Grennan can be found here:

http://www.astronomy.ie/eclipse08.html

Get out there and take a few photos and show them off here tomorrow!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 heliguy

Any idea what the weather is supposed to be like tonight.
    recommendations for good local weather.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Is this going to be like last years one? I hope to be awake for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

weather is perfect in cork, full visibility of the moon so far. looking forward to this!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭Jen Pigs Fly

It's too cloudy over here (west dublin) won't see a thing unless the clouds clear!!
    Pity I wanted to see it!

just got very cloudy in the past half hour, hopefully it will pass..

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

big bright moon in the sky here, resisting the urge to go to sleep

might take a nap and wake up again around three

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

Hey everybody, first time in this forum.

Overcast here in S. Dublin at the moment.

Bright moon can be seen through it now, but I imagine once the moon starts dimming the clouds will ruin everything:(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Just had a look there, can't see anything.

Not a star in the sky... :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

...just caught a glimpse of it there through the clouds (I'm in Naas, by the way). It's very bright but I couldn't see any shadow over it yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭the GALL

in wexford ...ready and waiting, cloud about 40%

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Can vaguely see it now, a bit of a shadow on the left hand side? Right?

cloud city here in cork, cant see a feckin thing :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

Same here in Tallaght, went out a few times throughout the night hoping it would clear up but can't see a thing :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

The eclipse was in the early hours of the morning, and as I was working on Thursday, I wasn't going to stay up. However, at about 3:30am I woke up. Without even having to get out of my bed, I could see the moon and part of it was eclipsed. Still lying in my bed, I looked for a moment, and then went back to sleep. Still, it was good to see that much, given that I didn't expect to see anything due to the time the eclipse would be at its peak.

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭Dr Pepper

You certainly lived up to your name there Flukey! I got up for a minute at 3:30 but it was raining and cloudy. Ah well, I'll be ready for the next one in 2010 with my Decloudinator (TM). At least Saturn is still putting on a great show as usual..

Advertisement