Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IP Addressed Cameras

• 20-02-2008 10:22am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭

I was reading the CCTV thread with interest. What I am interested in is installing IP adressed cameras that I can view online by logging on with a password. I am not interested in recording the images at all. I can hardwire all of the cameras no problem. I have a standard Eircom router at present.

1) What is the simplest way of doing this???
    2) Where should I buy the cameras???
    3) What sort of money do cameras like this start at??
    4) Any other advice??

I would like very small discreet cameras for indoor and outdoor use.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,411 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Hardwiring means that all cameras have to have their own IP address (€€). Having them go back to a 'server' means one public IP address.
    Have a look at these: http://www.komplett.ie/k/kl.aspx?bn=10668

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Jesus, those cameras aren't cheap.

On the network side, this is relatively easy with the hardware that you have, for one camera. You configure port forwarding on your router to pass all traffic on a certain port to that camera's web server allowing you to look at it wherever you are.

For multiple cameras, you'll probably need a server inside the firewall (i.e. inside the building), with software to capture the output from all of your cameras. Similarly, you configure port forwarding to forward requests that web server, which lets you view/configure all of the cameras from anywhere.

If you're using cameras to capture specific activity, some cameras are motion-sensitive. When hooked up to a machine which can record the output, the camera only kicks in when it detects motion, thus meaning that you don't have to trawl through hours of blank footage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭fishdog

Thanks for the input.

Maybe I need to rethink a bit.

I said I could hard wire, meaning that if it made things simpler I would.

The general idea is that if an alarm goes off it the owner is contacted and he/she simply goes online checking through the cameras if the alarm is genuine or not.

What is the simplest and cheapest way of doing this??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,411 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Fishdog, there are professional DVR (Digital Video Recorders) out there for years which will send you images of your premisses in the event of an alarm. They will even grab frames which show movement and send these via e-mail.

http://www2.panasonic.com/consumer-electronics/shop/Computers-Networking/Network-Cameras/Camera-Management-Systems/model.BL-MS103A_11002_7000000000000005702

Otherwise, look at open-source solutions, of which I'm sure exist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

the Eneo DTR-2009-500 seems nice, will run 8 cameras and hook up to the internet.

You can get a lot of cheaper uints on eBay, you can get a i/o card for a standard PC, if the PC can get on Line then you can run your cameras off it.

You should be able to pick up something with 4 cameras, a lan port and 250GB drive for in or around 400-500 euro on e bay

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭Jnealon

The easiest and cheapest would be either a standard day/night dome connected to a single port ip camera server or a cheap COP dvr and the same day/night dome.

Advertisement