Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Final build - thoughts?

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Yea, go with a Box one cause you're getting fans inside the case too which'll help and if it's a thing that you're running too hot, it's easy enough (albeit an inconvenience) to pop another fan in or get a better cooler.

Edit: in my experience the stock fans are pretty quiet too, so that's +1 to keep it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77

Yea I think I'll just do it - here's the final final build ;)

FinalBuild.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

been following your posts joker and I need about the same PC as you. Need it for web development and don't play games but I'm planning on using two 24 inch dell monitors through dvi. Don't have a clue if any of the cards on hardware versand do that. Can anyone help?

The rest of the spec is basically a copy of yours!
    build1.jpg

I'm probably not best placed to answer this George - I'm a software developer also and use 2 monitors in work - but I've a 2nd graphics card in my machine here. I would have thought if you want 2 DVI monitors you'd need 2 graphics cards, but I could well be mistaken (and probably am!).

My machine at home will be used mainly for software development - C# + XAML stuff with MySQL. It will also be a media centre, hence the large hard disk space.

A lot of cards have 2 X DVI ports, so one card would do it. As to which one you want, I'm afraid I'm a gamer so only know stuff about the very high end cards and I don't think you'll need an 8800 series card :)

On a real quick look, this card might work well for you - 2 DVI ports and a HDMI which is always nice if you decide you need media centre options. Actually Joker, mightn't be a bad card for you either! :D

However, I'd wait and see what the other regulars have to say!

• Advertisement

Looks good, I wouldn't mind having 2 monitors at home, but unfortunately I don't really have the space at the moment (sharing a 1 bed apartment with my girlfriend, I'm doing well to get a desktop!). That said, we'll be moving into a 2 bed in the summer hopefully... hmm..........

The card I have has the HDMI interface

That card looks good, cheers Kanna. I'll be using xp with it, that hardly matters?

Ordered that build now, just going to the bank now to figure out how to pay em.

XP will make no real diff to the video card, but it's a Direct X 10 compatible one which only comes with Vista (but it will still work with DX9 on XP). Also, normal XP doesn't read more than 3.25 gigs of RAM, so you're wasting money getting the 4 Gigs unless you get a 64 bit OS (64bit Vista Home Premium would be the one I'd recommend - I have XP 64 myself and it's caused no end of incompatibility issues with various software and hardware).

Ultimately, we're all gonna have to bite the bullet and move to Vista within the next 12 months anyway (at a guess), so you may as well get it over and done with :)

Kharn wrote: »
    Ultimately, we're all gonna have to bite the bullet and move to Vista within the next 12 months anyway (at a guess), so you may as well get it over and done with :)
    Interesting - are you saying this from a gamer's point of view? i.e. are the new games being made for DX10 which means gamers will all have to move to Vista?

The reason I'm asking is that from a software development point of view - I'm still seeing a slow take-up with Vista. I use it myself and think it's great, but it appears it's being semi-shelved by Microsoft - they've realised that people just aren't going for it.
    For example, initially Dell would only ship with Vista (I think?). Now - they have 'Also available with XP' emblazoned everywhere.

I'm just curious as to what the gaming community will go with

I'm not moving to Vista, I'll be installing Ubuntu on this as well. Most of my coding is done in Linux anyway. I'm pretty sure the linux kernel can recognise 4gigs so happy out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭requiem1

the gaming community aren't necessarily too hung up on what os right now, direct x 10 was a huge dissapointment and a pain in the ass to develop on. Alot of focus has now changed over to direct x 10.1 and integrating that with vista. The reason you'll probably want to change over to vista is that developers are especially for hardware are not going to develop drivers and the likes for older os's like xp. Sure creative are or were charging for x-fi xp 64bit drivers. I've never had that much of an issue with vista and most of my issues have been solved with the beta of sp1.

If you want to cover yourself dual boot vista and xp, or vista and ubuntu. You know you can use virtual pc to run xp in vista?:D

Advertisement