Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stag hunt vs. Gormley - Pat Kenny, Radio 1, today (20/02/2008)

• 20-02-2008 11:06am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭

Just heard Pat announce that he'll be doing an item on "the stag hunt's victory over Minister Gormley" later in today's show.
    Anyone know what that's about?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

On RIGHT NOW!

(Very) rough summary-
    A man from the hunt (Brian Munn?) was on, and it would appear that the courts (High Court?) have set aside the conditions of the licence that compel the hunt to recapture the stag before releasing the hounds.
    This effectively converts the licence into the 'standard' licence as has been issued over the years, and 'normal service' can now be resumed.

No sign of any of this on any of the news sites, I'll post a link to the interview when it appears on the RTE site.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 628 ✭✭✭thelurcher

Thanks for the update - that's great news.

Hopefully I'll get up to them for a day out if not this season then later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭BryanL

thanks Rovi,
    not my thing but still great news
    Bryan

BryanL wrote: »
    thanks Rovi,
    not my thing but still great news
    Bryan
    Nor mine.
    I've said in the past and I'll say it again: I have no interest in stag hunting whatsoever and I wouldn't shed a single tear if the Ward Union announced today that they were closing up shop and calling it a day.
    I'm deeply concerned though, about the 'usual suspects' who are making the most shrill noises over this; they have made no secret of their ultimate aim of the banning of all 'blood sports' (their words, and including all types of hunting), and a total ban on all types of firearm would indeed be nirvana as far as they're concerned.

Better to tackle these people on someone else's issue than wait until they arrive at your own doorstep, in my opinion. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭tiny-nioclas

i think all this hunting on horseback is a load of crap, there are way more practical ways of dealing with vermin, deer problems etc, its not an irish tradition to do this its and introduced bloodsport, i wouldnt care if it was outlawed, chances are if it was outlawed REAL HUNTERS and shooters would be next to bite the bullet (excuse the pun) though, this is just my opinion so i dont want any crap :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Folks, whether yo deem it to be an Irish tradition or not. Fact is that hunting with all sorts of dogs is probably as old as domestication of dogs and civilisation itself in Ireland. As for the introduction of horses it only makes sense that they were used as soon as people saw their benefits. So I wouldn't be too quick to pull the traditional card. Fact is of course that the indigenous population of Ireland at one stage had lost nearly all ownership of the land, including the right to hunt and as a consequence of that were left only one option : hunting on the sly i.e. poaching while big organised hunting parties were the privilege of the ruling classes. In my opinion this might just be the explanation why people who would have an interest in hunting otherwise resent the big hunting party and associate it with the visible trappings of colonial power/feudal rule.

Anyway, a bit of track but I couldn't stop the brainwave ( sometimes I'm able to convince myself I have a brain, sweet illusion ) :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 628 ✭✭✭thelurcher

I've never went out with them before so can't say whether it would be my thing or not - that's why I'd like to give it a go - although it would have to be on foot - haven't been on a horse for 15 years at least ;)

Here's the show on the RTE website, go to 23:50 and go from there (it lasts about 10 minutes)-
    http://www.rte.ie/radio1/player_av.html?0,null,200,http://dynamic.rte.ie/quickaxs/209-rte-todaywithpatkenny-Wednesday.smil

<bump>
    Minister Gormley is going to be on with Pat Kenny during today's show (29-02-2008), to talk about the various goings on in his department.
    Listen to it live here-
    http://www.rte.ie/radio/index.html

I'm sure it'll be mostly/all about 'nice' ecomentalist subjects, but you never know, the kick up the arse he got from the courts over the stag hunt license might get a mention.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

What time?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

Now

Advertisement