Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rude Awakenings

Options
  • 20-02-2008 11:24am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭

Well I tell ya, I got the fright of my life yesterday morning.

I didn't get to sleep til late, was half jarred getting into bed. But have this giant big teddy dog- like its life size. Its black and white.

Now I am a bad sleeper. I won't sleep the full night, not unless i'm blacked out from a night on the tiles... So I kinda sleepily woke up some part of the morning. Through a half open eye, I see a black blur on my pillow beside me.
    Sleepily think its the boyfriend. Sleepily throw my arm over that side and sleepily give it a hug.
    But it was all squishy. Dear Jesus I nearly had a stroke, and practically leapt out of the bed.

Turns out it wasn't the boyfriend, twas the dog.

Share your own stories here!

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I woke one night and looked at my hubby beside me, lying on his back with his eyes open and not moving. Turned out he'd just woken before me, but in that fraction of a second I was convinced he was dead!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,356 ✭✭✭Donegal Lass

I lived in Galway for a stint, but came home to Donegal for the weekend! Went out on the sat night and had a little *way* too much to drink and fell asleep with my face squished up against the wall (my bed at home was pushed up against one wall at the time)...

so anyways, I wake up on sunday morning feeling like ive been hit by a bus and my nose is touching the wall... and suddenly Im like "WHERE THE F**K AM I???" nearly started crying, too scared to move in case i didnt like what i'd see behind me and I knew they weren't my curtains.. never s**t myself more in my life...

Realisation slowly kicked in..

I had forgotten that I was in Donegal, safe in my own bed.... I was so used to waking up looking out a window in Galway that I completely crapped myself and didnt know where I was!

I felt soooo stupid!! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Weidii

When I was in school my mam used to open my room and my sisters room in the morning and the cats would come in and wake us up.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

Sunday morning I thought I was awake, in my dream I knew I was lying in my bed, felt something under me and at first thought it was someone elses arm but then realised I was lying on my arm weird and it was dead, so was content, then I hear someone whisper 'Dee' in my ear. Well by jaysus I jumped out of bed snappy, got the fright out of my life, I was sure I was awake but must have still been dreaming!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,038 ✭✭✭✭tk123

The other week I was having problems with my wrist like carpel tunnel so it was going numb etc when I was asleep. Anyhoos I woke up and felt a stone cold hand/arm lying across my tummy - it wasn't until i was sitting bolt upright freaked out that I copped it was my own arm :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Getting woken by your child whining at the side of you bed saying they are sick and as you open your eyes you get your face vomited on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭SarahSassy

One night I was particularily *ehem* puggled.. Went to bed and brought a glass of water with me for that emergency drunken middle of the night mouth drought... Got thirsty in the middle of the night so reached out for my water. Down the hatch but it was not water - I had picked up the lavender oil burner and thrown the contents (water and lavender drops) down my throat. I nearly lost my life..... If felt like I had swallowed sunflower oil (well I suppose it would..) I had serious tummy burn and was burping lavender for days - no joke....

Even now, if people mention flowers in food I feel like heaving....

• Registered Users Posts: 21 WildWood

I remember waking up one morning in the bed completely starkers (it was a really cold night & I had DEFINITELY gone to bed with my PJ's on!) Got out of bed wondering where the hell my pj's were.........after much searching i found them folded in the wardrobe with all my work clothes. Very odd:o

I was staying in a friends house one night. The bed was mounted on a raised platform. For effect.
    So early the next morning I hear my friend pottering around. I freak out convinced I'm at home and being burgled. I leap up out of the bed and tumble off the platform, with a sickening crunch.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭dewsbury

no alcohol involved in this one.

About 25 years ago there was a minor earthquake in Dublin (really!).

I was lying in bed at the time and felt the 'quake. I thought that the cat had jumped off the bed and went back to sleep!

(This earthquake story is real by the way. Shortly after there were t-shirts on sale with the slogan "I survived the Dublin earthquake").

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

dewsbury wrote: »
    no alcohol involved in this one.

About 25 years ago there was a minor earthquake in Dublin (really!).

I was lying in bed at the time and felt the 'quake. I thought that the cat had jumped off the bed and went back to sleep!

(This earthquake story is real by the way. Shortly after there were t-shirts on sale with the slogan "I survived the Dublin earthquake").

I remember that, though I didn't feel the quake myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

When I saw rude awakenings I thought you were going to mention the 4 o'clock in the morning horn...

My husband has a habit of waking in the middle of the night for a quick ride and back to sleep...

now that is what I call rude!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Lauragoesmad

When I lived in Liverpool with my boyfriend the 2 of us kept on having dreams that there were spiders in our bed. I actually on one occasion (according to himself) tried to find the thing, looking under the pillows and lifting the sheet. This went on for 4 months and the day we were finally moving out we moved the bed and we found the biggest nastiest looking spider lurking. To this day whenever I talk about it, My boyfriend goes mad and says "WE WERE DREAMING! I CAN'T THINK THAT SPIDER WAS ON US WHILE WE WERE ASLEEP!!
    We never did find out if we were mad or the spider shared our bed for 4 months!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Lauragoesmad

Quality wrote: »
    When I saw rude awakenings I thought you were going to mention the 4 o'clock in the morning horn...

My husband has a habit of waking in the middle of the night for a quick ride and back to sleep...

now that is what I call rude!!

The aul "unwanted surprize sex"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Rattlehead_ie

Quality wrote: »

Great Minds think a like! I remember waking up one night randomly just as the picture above my bed fell off the wall, scared the **** out of me as I roared and punched it :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

Think the worst I've had is simply falling asleep early in the evening, waking up later that evening, looking at the watch and then thinking I'm late for work and having a mad rush to get ready until I realise "oh poop, it's still the evening"*. Then heading back to bed and feeling rather stupid.:o

*usually far less polite language involved to be honest.:o

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Jules

This thread has given me such a laugh!

My oh has a habit of snoring and breathing fairly heavy, just remember one night listening to him snoring and i couldnt sleep and thinking would ya ever shut up and stop snoring, when all of a sudden he stopped and for about 30 seconds there was not a sound out of him, then thinking **** he was dead, when then he jumped up and gasped for breath, i crapped myself, jumped up and thought **** he is dying.. i nearly lot my life, after he settled down he tells me he suffers from a touch of apnoea, basically he stops breathing in his sleep.

Now everytime he stops breathing i freak out, but he is ok after a few seconds!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭thedizzler

Last summer, a friend and I were staying in this huge hostel in Denmark for a night. We'd read loads about it being the most amazing hostel ever, but when we got there they were full and had mixed up our booking, so we were now in an 8 person mixed dorm. Fine, you'd think, we're made of pretty stern stuff, until this 40 year old man comes in and strips down to his Y fronts(yes.Yfronts.) and proceeds to lie on his bed staring at us. I mean really staring, which is actually quite disturbing, even when you're doing normal stuff like brushing your hair or reading a book. Took ages to fall asleep as I could see him staring over. Then in the middle of the night I woke to a shadow standing over me. I lept up and started screaming like a woman possessed.
    I woke the entrie room. Yeah, the "shadow" had ,in fact, been a towel hanging off the the end of the bed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭ashisback

my bf woke me up one night hit me in the face i though i was dreamin but he had to wake me up becuase my nose was bleeding and he was trin to wake me up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭rain on

Was up in Dublin visiting the boyfriend there a few weeks ago, missed my last bus home on the Sunday and couldn't stay with him due to family situations (his ma worked from home and was fine with me staying on weekends but didn't want me there on Monday mornings), so I stayed with a male friend of mine who bears a bit of a resemblance around the face to the boyfriend (though different height, build, hair, etc). Woke up the next morning going 'where the hell am I?', looked over to the next bed, saw my friend's face and thought 'ah deadly, i'm at the boyfriend's house' and then after a few seconds realised 'good grief no, it's not him'.

Nothing happened like but it was such a weird feeling to have this sudden rush of affection and sexual desire for someone who turned out to be my mate. (And to make things worse we went out with each other for about a year when we were younger and had a terrible sex life.)

Was so glad that we weren't sleeping closer together because I probably would have thrown the arm over or thrown the head in before I realised who it was. Ugh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

Jules wrote: »
    This thread has given me such a laugh!

My oh has a habit of snoring and breathing fairly heavy, just remember one night listening to him snoring and i couldnt sleep and thinking would ya ever shut up and stop snoring, when all of a sudden he stopped and for about 30 seconds there was not a sound out of him, then thinking **** he was dead, when then he jumped up and gasped for breath, i crapped myself, jumped up and thought **** he is dying.. i nearly lot my life, after he settled down he tells me he suffers from a touch of apnoea, basically he stops breathing in his sleep.

Now everytime he stops breathing i freak out, but he is ok after a few seconds!

that has a name?!

i have that! it runs in my family, my dad, his brothers, my nana...
    so at this stage, it would really take a while for someone to start worrying... though it did freak my dad out when i was a new babba in the cot, and stopped breathing...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭eyeball kid

I'd nearly see a doctor about the apnoea Crumble Froo. Its not supposed to be good for you. Its puts pressue on the heart apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭whatsgoinon

i sleep with my eyes half open, so that people think i am still awake and carry on conversations with me, until they get no response and realise i am in actual fact out for the count. exboyf thought i was awake and tried to 'surprise' me.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Kiya

When I lived in Liverpool with my boyfriend the 2 of us kept on having dreams that there were spiders in our bed. I actually on one occasion (according to himself) tried to find the thing, looking under the pillows and lifting the sheet. This went on for 4 months and the day we were finally moving out we moved the bed and we found the biggest nastiest looking spider lurking. To this day whenever I talk about it, My boyfriend goes mad and says "WE WERE DREAMING! I CAN'T THINK THAT SPIDER WAS ON US WHILE WE WERE ASLEEP!!
    We never did find out if we were mad or the spider shared our bed for 4 months!!

oh MY GOD.
    that happend to me the other night.

but im generally paranoid about spiders & always check the bed before i get in & move the pillows about to make sure theyre not lurking.
    (when i was little, i was yawning and a spider fell off my ceiling into my mouth. i slept in a sleeping bag for a year afterwards... yeuuuucccch)

But the other night i got into bed, did the usual check while my boyf was laughing at me from the doorway. :rolleyes:

i lay down and turn my head on the pillow towards the boyf to tell him to get lost, our luvly nightly routine :p

and there was the BIGGEST fckn HAIRIEST spider you have ever seen in ur life, sitting on my fckn pillow, all casual looking at me...
    eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeekkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk :eek:

the neighbours musta thought i was being murdered, the screams outa me!!

i lept out of bed, the boyf almost wetting himself laughing at me.
    and wot does the spider do?
    starts legging it accross the bed towards me....

oh my god. if my boyf hadnt been there to capture it it would have chased me into the loo...
    it used to be that spiders were scared of people.. whats going on? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

I shouted at someone in a dream once. It turns out I did the same in real life and woke myself and my brother up. That was majorly weird.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 mitzy666

Kiya wrote: »
    oh MY GOD.
    that happend to me the other night.

but im generally paranoid about spiders & always check the bed before i get in & move the pillows about to make sure theyre not lurking.
    (when i was little, i was yawning and a spider fell off my ceiling into my mouth. i slept in a sleeping bag for a year afterwards... yeuuuucccch)

But the other night i got into bed, did the usual check while my boyf was laughing at me from the doorway. :rolleyes:

i lay down and turn my head on the pillow towards the boyf to tell him to get lost, our luvly nightly routine :p

and there was the BIGGEST fckn HAIRIEST spider you have ever seen in ur life, sitting on my fckn pillow, all casual looking at me...
    eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeekkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk :eek:

the neighbours musta thought i was being murdered, the screams outa me!!

i lept out of bed, the boyf almost wetting himself laughing at me.
    and wot does the spider do?
    starts legging it accross the bed towards me....

oh my god. if my boyf hadnt been there to capture it it would have chased me into the loo...
    it used to be that spiders were scared of people.. whats going on? :confused:
    lmao - u actually made me cry with the laughter ! hilarious

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭King of Kings

i thought the baby had was falling out of the bed and tried to grab him. unfortunately for my ex he wasn't even in out bed and I punched her in the back with gusto before i was fully awake.

the kid wee'd on me twice while i was asleep and had the the cheek to say i wet the bed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Lil' Smiler

Hmm.. i once woke up with my face feeling wet from the pillow, I was like eurgh I drooled or then thought my bf drooled... realised he was all wet too... he'd had a nose bleed in his sleep all over my pillow and it' gotten all over me :(

Up until about 2 years ago I used to occasionally still fall out of bed in my sleep, that wasn't fun :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

I'd nearly see a doctor about the apnoea Crumble Froo. Its not supposed to be good for you. Its puts pressue on the heart apparently.

meh, im not too bothered, really, like i said, runs in the family, and it's more like just forgetting to breathe than not being able to. i'd imagine my years of trying to swim underwater for as long as possilbe without coming up for a breath did infinitely more damage than this ever will.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭jezza

My very lovely but very drunk big brother brought up after eights to me one night, gave them to me but i was pretty much asleep.
    Woke up the next morning, came down the stairs and my mother nearly had a stroke.
    It was everywhere, face, hair, jammies... bed was destroyed.
    Looked like i had **** myself.

Advertisement