Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

want to change my credit card,how to avoid stampy duty charged twice

Options
  • 20-02-2008 11:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭

hi
    i have a ulster bank credit card
    i want to move to AIB now
    i know if i change the cards, i will be charged by ulster bank - stamp duty of 40 euros
    and AIB will also charge 40 euros
    how do we avoid this?

pls suggest

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

when you cancel your current credit card request confirmation that you have paid your stamp duty. Then send this to your new provider and you will avoid having to pay again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭bittihuduga

i am planning to cancel my ulster bank credit card now (in march)
    i will be charged the govt duty of 40 euros by ulster bank
    is this for 2007-08?

then i will be without card for 1 month in march

in april i will apply for a AIB click card..
    will AIB charge me govt duty when i join?

pls help

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

Credit card stamp duty is paid once a year (pretty sure its on 1 April)

Ulster Bank will deduct €40 stamp duty when you cancel the card if this happens before 1 April (as you say this is for the year 07-08). If you open the AIB credit card account after 1 April you will not be charged stamp duty again until 1 April 2009 (for the year 08-09).

Give AIB a call if you need any more info, I'm sure they'll have no bother helping you out.

Advertisement