Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Running nutrition

• 20-02-2008 11:35am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭

I was just wondering has anybody ever visited a sports nutritionist / dietician ?
    And if so how did you get on ?

I have gone to a couple of sports nutritionists myself and didn't find them much help. I have a decent enough diet and am close to my ideal weight and had hoped I could make some magical gains, but these failed to materialise.

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 16,600 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

possibly you weren't the right person to actually need their help road runner? I haven't been but know some people who have. I was put off my the over the top (imo) attitude of some of them. eg giving up weetabix because it is bad for you! I don't intend on eating brown rice and tuna with no sauce or oil for the rest of my life!

What kind of advice do you get?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 872 ✭✭✭doke

I

I have gone to a couple of sports nutritionists myself and didn't find them much help. I have a decent enough diet and am close to my ideal weight and had hoped I could make some magical gains, but these failed to materialise.

Given that last sentence, there are no magical gains to be made, I venture. The people who benefit most would be the ones eating crap.

My coach places a huge emphasis on nutrition and when we hooked up he asked me to send him details of everything I eat in a typical week. Then he just came back and said "That's all fine, nothing we really need to change there". One of the many benefits of marrying a Frenchwoman: the French know how to eat better than anyone else.

In my opinion nutrition beyond "eating well" is really only a major consideration if you're doing long distance stuff (marathon and beyond). Then you have to put some thought into your carb/fat/protein ratios, when you eat what and what to eat during a run. The last two assuming particular importance in ultras (distances longer than the standard marathon).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

doke wrote: »
    Given that last sentence, there are no magical gains to be made, I venture. The people who benefit most would be the ones eating crap.

I'd agree with you there. I was only joking about the magical gains btw

Advertisement