Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UEFA U-21 Championship in Ireland in 2011?

• 20-02-2008 11:40am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭

Interesting to see a number of media are running the story that despite the IFA withdrawing from a joint bid the FAI plan on applying to hold the European U-21 Championships in 2011 here.

They need 4 10,000 seater stadia and the list of possible venues was Landsdowne Road, Tallaght, Thomond Park, The RDS and Donnybrook.

Thoughts? Would a competition like this get people off their barstools?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Interesting to see a number of media are running the story that despite the IFA withdrawing from a joint bid the FAI plan on applying to hold the European U-21 Championships in 2011 here.
    Fair play to them tbh.
    They need 4 10,000 seater stadia and the list of possible venues was Landsdowne Road, Tallaght, Thomond Park, The RDS and Donnybrook.
    What are Sporting Fingal planning? 10k? Could that be used?

I'd like to see it kept to "soccer" stadia, if at all possible. Is Turner's X being redeveloped in any meaningful way?
    Would a competition like this get people off their barstools?
    No.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

DesF wrote: »
    Fair play to them tbh..

Agreed, ambtious but do-able.
    What are Sporting Fingal planning? 10k? Could that be used?.

Morton for the moment and then probably Abbotstown. But ready by 2011?
    I'd like to see it kept to "soccer" stadia, if at all possible. Is Turner's X being redeveloped in any meaningful way?.

I was surprised to see Donnybrook and not Turnips Cross. They are still to finish the end opposite the shed and need to add 1,500 seats to fulfill the criteria. Do-able.

No.

Unfortuantly I agree

Agreed, ambtious but do-able.
    Certainly do-able, if they get the finger out.

I wonder who else would be in the running.
    Morton for the moment and then probably Abbotstown. But ready by 2011?
    Hmm, don't they have plans to build some form of Acadamy out in Donabate, including a stadium. Yeah, I knew Morton for the moment, but I'm sure that FCC have plans for a sports campus out near where Shels were looking at, between Swords and Skerries, somewhere along the M1 (which, fwiw, is a super road) and near the planned Metro.
    I was surprised to see Donnybrook and not Turnips Cross. They are still to finish the end opposite the shed and need to add 1,500 seats to fulfill the criteria. Do-able.
    Again, yeah, do-able, and I can see no reason why Cork won't do this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

Problem is, 4 of those stadiums are in Dublin. Maybe if they could include Turners Cross and possibly even Terryland Park, they'd have a better chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Oriel Park will do the job. Fair enough its not at 10000 capacity anymore but surely 6000 is more than enough.

• Advertisement

Pighead wrote: »
    Oriel Park will do the job. Fair enough its not at 10000 capacity anymore but surely 6000 is more than enough.
    Also, they might be looking for somewhere with real grass.

The football played on Oriel isn't real (Good enough for Boardeaux, not good enough for a "proper" football, imo).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,426 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

In football Manager Oriel Park hosts Champions League Finals. U21 in real life, why not!:D

Also, they might be looking for somewhere with real grass.

The football played on Oriel isn't real (Good enough for Boardeaux, not good enough for a "proper" football, imo).
    Des des des. The pitch in Oriel is way above the standard of the Astro Turf you lot are used to. It basically looks like and acts like natural grass - but it isn't.

FIFA have already stated that they have no problems with a major final being played on an artificial surface in the future. They actually had the U17's World Final played on an artificial pitch a couple of years back. And AC/Inter Milan were apparently looking into getting the exact same stuff as Dundalk got in due to the consistently crappy nature of their pitch.

There is no way Dundalk should be considered. The idea is to showcase Ireland, and that means not sending tourists or the worlds media to that hole.

Dublin, Cork and Galway only. Civilised places that wont set our fragile tourist industry back 20 years.

Has to be a 10,000 all seater. Oriel Park is neither. Whats hard to fathom?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Ah! Good to see traditional Irish soccer grounds getting nominated for hosting purposes.

Yet another example of this countries identity crisis.

There is no way Dundalk should be considered. The idea is to showcase Ireland, and that means not sending tourists or the worlds media to that hole.

Dublin, Cork and Galway only. Civilised places that wont set our fragile tourist industry back 20 years.
    The worlds media went to 'that hole' a few years back when Bill Clinton spent a day in Dundalk, (when he was still president). He thought it was a wonderful town and told us all that we were the greatest people he'd ever met. Clinton doesn't lie.
    So basically you're full of shit buddy.

The worlds media went to 'that hole' a few years back when Bill Clinton spent a day in Dundalk, (when he was still president). He thought it was a wonderful town and told us all that we were the greatest people he'd ever met. Clinton doesn't lie.
    So basically you're full of shit buddy.

Thats a novel defence! Say that a president impeached for lying doesnt lie. :D Says a great deal about the lack of civic life of the town when the only defence you have was a state visit 12 years ago and the fact someone was polite. Greatest People indeed.

I have been an away fan in Oriel Park many times and there is no way the local Gardai and Dundalk FC could cope with an event of this magnitude. Every time one of the Dublin clubs is there the same heads attack at the same spot while the same Gardai hide and the same people involved in the club blame anyone other than their fans and their matchday setup. We should not subject tourists to that gauntlet.

That and the stadium too small and in no fit state.

Pigman II wrote: »
    Ah! Good to see traditional Irish soccer grounds getting nominated for hosting purposes.

Yet another example of this countries identity crisis.

Tallaght, Landsdowne Road and the RDS are football grounds.....

Whats your point caller?

Tallaght, Landsdowne Road and the RDS are football grounds.....

Whats your point caller?

Lansdowne = Rugby Ground.
    RDS = Showjumping arena.

Go back to sleep.

I have been an away fan in Oriel Park many times and there is no way the local Gardai and Dundalk FC could cope with an event of this magnitude. Every time one of the Dublin clubs is there the same heads attack at the same spot while the same Gardai hide and the same people involved in the club blame anyone other than their fans and their matchday setup. .
    Ha ha ha thats hilarious. I live in Phibsboro and you should be well aware of the pathetic efforts of the local Gardai in trying to stop the "local thugs"(aka 12 year old kids) causing carnage around the area after a Bohs-Rovers game.

The wee fcukers come storming down the street with scarfs over their faces while the Guards just stand in a line trying to look menacing. Me and a hundred others can usually be heard shouting "Kick the fcuk out of the little bastatds, they're braeking windows, don't be scared, THEY'RE 12 YEARS OLD"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

There would be plenty of decent stadiums to host this around the country. If the GAA were nice to football fans that is. The Gaelic Grounds in Limerick would be perfect for it aswell as the newly renovated Thomond Park. 4 or 5 stadiums in Dublin and a few others around the country.

RDS = Showjumping arena.

Go back to sleep.
    Pigman II 1 OhNoYouDidn't 0.

Quick decisive counter attack. The type of which hasn't been seen by Shamrock Rovers fans in years. Unlucky son.

Ha ha ha thats hilarious. I live in Phibsboro and you should be well aware of the pathetic efforts of the local Gardai in trying to stop the "local thugs"(aka 12 year old kids) causing carnage around the area after a Bohs-Rovers game.

The wee fcukers come storming down the street with scarfs over their faces while the Guards just stand in a line trying to look menacing. Me and a hundred others can usually be heard shouting "Kick the fcuk out of the little bastatds, they're braeking windows, don't be scared, THEY'RE 12 YEARS OLD"

And there are no northside Dublin venues either.

We can play this game all day. Dundalk is a town in decline and its football club and stadium reflect this.

Its not an option for this tournament, thank God.

RDS = Showjumping arena.

Go back to sleep.

LR is now 50% owned by the FAI.

The RDS was home to Rovers for 10 years and is where the FAI cup final is played.

To say they are not football venues is splitting hairs.

• Advertisement

Melion wrote: »
    There would be plenty of decent stadiums to host this around the country. If the GAA were nice to football fans that is. The Gaelic Grounds in Limerick would be perfect for it aswell as the newly renovated Thomond Park. 4 or 5 stadiums in Dublin and a few others around the country.

I'm sure the Gaalibans contribution to this will be some form of nusiance legal action to try and prevent the tournament.

There is no need to include the bigots, so why do so?

Besides, do the GAA own any all seater stadiums?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

And there are no northside Dublin venues either.

We can play this game all day. Dundalk is a town in decline and its football club and stadium reflect this.

Its not an option for this tournament, thank God.

Ah... another mature debate on the soccer forum backed up by facts and figures....

Buddy.. Sounds like you really don't know what you are talking about. How is Dundalk a town in decline? What does this actually mean?

I could think of worse places to live to be honest...

I always thought Oriel Park was a nice LOI ground. Bit of work and there is no doubt that it could be used for the U21s championships.

The RDS was home to Rovers for 10 years and is where the FAI cup final is played.

Grand. So we can start calling Croker the "home of Irish soccer" now in that case. I'm sure the GAA will love that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

I'm sure the Gaalibans contribution to this will be some form of nusiance legal action to try and prevent the tournament.

There is no need to include the bigots, so why do so?

Besides, do the GAA own any all seater stadiums?

The Gaelic Grounds in Limerick is all seater IIRC

RDS is a show-jumping arena. Leinster currently play rugby there... Does that now make it a rugby stadium?

Grand. So we can start calling Croker the "home of Irish soccer" now in that case. I'm sure the GAA will love that.

I assume you are fishing? the FAI part own LR and a chunk of the funding for the revamp of the RDS was because it is used for football. Officially these venues are football grounds.

RDS is a show-jumping arena. Leinster currently play rugby there... Does that now make it a rugby stadium?

yes

I assume you are fishing? the FAI part own LR and a chunk of the funding for the revamp of the RDS was because it is used for football. Officially these venues are football grounds.
    yes

Your last 2 posts contradict each other...

Which is it? a football ground or a rugby ground or a show-jumping arena?

... or here's a thought... perhaps it can be all 3 :rolleyes:

Ah... another mature debate on the soccer forum backed up by facts and figures....

Buddy.. Sounds like you really don't know what you are talking about. How is Dundalk a town in decline? What does this actually mean?

I could think of worse places to live to be honest...

I always thought Oriel Park was a nice LOI ground. Bit of work and there is no doubt that it could be used for the U21s championships.

its population has declined over the past 20 years. its unemployment rate fell at much less than the national average over the past 20 years. drogheda is now a bigger town

dundalk have been in the 1st division for 9 straight seasons while Oriel Park must be the only LoI venue that no work at all has been done on recently.

It will take more than 'a bit of work' to find seating for an additional 8,000 seats on a site the club no longer own.

• Advertisement

Your last 2 posts contradict each other...

Which is it? a football ground or a rugby ground or a show-jumping arena?

... or here's a thought... perhaps it can be all 3 :rolleyes:

it is all 3. i thought that was clear to all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Santry was home to Rovers for a bit as well, is that a soccer stadium?

its population has declined over the past 20 years.
    What a load of cock! Its increased by 4 thousand over the past 6 years for a start. Jesus you really are a great one for spouting out nonsensical made up "facts"
    its unemployment rate fell at much less than the national average over the past 20 years.
    You made that up didn't you?
    dundalk have been in the 1st division for 9 straight seasons while Oriel Park must be the only LoI venue that no work at all has been done on recently.
    Eh We got relegated in 2002. Do you know what year it is at the moment? Plenty of work been done in Oriel recently. Brand new state of the art pitch for a start.

From Wikipedia "Youth Development/Coaching Centre. The general facilities include an underground car park, gymnasium, disabled training facilities, dressing rooms,. games rooms, media control centre, multipurpose hall and associated services at Oriel Park. Further plans are being made to upgrade the main stand, changing areas and bar facilities."

Plus Oriel Park attracts bigger attendences than most Premier League clubs.

It will take more than 'a bit of work' to find seating for an additional 8,000 seats on a site the club no longer own.
    They only need 4000 to bring it up to 10000.

Your post is the most nonsensical ill informed gibbersish i've seen on this site... ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

MrJoeSoap wrote: »
    Santry was home to Rovers for a bit as well, is that a soccer stadium?

The chances of any sort of international in Mortan Stadium is crazy talk.:eek:

The chances of any sort of international in Mortan Stadium is crazy talk.:eek:

I wasn't even close to suggesting that. If you read back through the thread you'll get the context of my post. I was suggesting that just because soccer might be played in a stadium, doesn't neccesarily mean it is a "soccer stadium".

What a load of cock! Its increased by 4 thousand over the past 6 years for a start. Jesus you really are a great one for spouting out nonsensical made up "facts"

You made that up didn't you?

Eh We got relegated in 2002. Do you know what year it is at the moment? Plenty of work been done in Oriel recently. Brand new state of the art pitch for a start.

From Wikipedia "Youth Development/Coaching Centre. The general facilities include an underground car park, gymnasium, disabled training facilities, dressing rooms,. games rooms, media control centre, multipurpose hall and associated services at Oriel Park. Further plans are being made to upgrade the main stand, changing areas and bar facilities."

Plus Oriel Park attracts bigger attendences than most Premier League clubs.

They only need 4000 to bring it up to 10000.

Your post is the most nonsensical ill informed gibbersish i've seen on this site... ever.

I really ament all that bothered debating this. I think Dundalk is the town that the Celtic Tiger forgot and that it would be unwise to 'showcase it' ahead of tourist centres like Galway or Cork. You don't, and you have Bill Clinton on your side. :D

But it is clear you don't understand the difference between 10,000 seats and 10,000 capacity. There is seating in Oriel Park for how many? Where are you going to put the other 9,000 seats?

• Advertisement

I wasn't even close to suggesting that. If you read back through the thread you'll get the context of my post. I was suggesting that just because soccer might be played in a stadium, doesn't neccesarily mean it is a "soccer stadium".

It is capable of hosting football and is a LoI venue.

For the purposes of this debate, it can be classed as a football venue even if its primary use is athletics.

Are you saying the Della Alpi and Olympico in Rome are not football venues?

Are you saying the Della Alpi and Olympico in Rome are not football venues?

Well the Delle Alpi was built for soccer. The Olympic stadium does exactly what it says on the tin, it was built for the Olympics.

My local green is capable of hosting soccer games, doesn't make it a soccer stadium.

But it is clear you don't understand the difference between 10,000 seats and 10,000 capacity. There is seating in Oriel Park for how many? Where are you going to put the other 9,000 seats?
    So you admit the other 3 points you spouted were rubbish? Fair enough then 3/4 is good enough for me.:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Again, yeah, do-able, and I can see no reason why Cork won't do this.

Firstly, it aint our stadium. It belongs to the Munster FA, who are so inbred and backward, they will not allow CCFC to even paint the outside of the venue at their own expense, so I cannot see them allowing dastardly foreigners from new countries besmerch their lovely grass.

Secondly I dont think planning will be granted to put anymore seats into the ground. In fact, the planning that has been given to roof the St Annes End is about to expire very soon.

Thirdly, CCFC are looking at moving to a new stadium, so there is no good reaosn to spend any money in The Cross from which only the MFA will benefit from it.

As a side note, just to show how backward, petty and ignorant the MFA are - when the U21s played their English counterparts a few months back, the Sky commenator opened with something along the lines of "Hello and welcome from Turners Cross, home of Cork City FC"". An MFA representative immediately rang the CCFC media guy to tell him to ring Sky Sports and tell them to retract the statement, that it is not the home of CCFC, it is the home of the MFA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

I'm aware of that, but just highlighted that the Mortan Stadium couldn't hold an international match of any standard. Have you seen the stadium lately? It's a joke, how Torpedo Fingal got the go ahead to play there is beyond me.

• Advertisement

I'm aware of that, but just highlighted that the Mortan Stadium couldn't hold an international match of any standard. Have you seen the stadium lately? It's a joke, how Torpedo Fingal got the go ahead to play there is beyond me.

Torpedo Fingal???

Is there a cluster of migrant Russians who formed a team or something? :rolleyes:

Advertisement