Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New Citroen C5 - would you?

Options
  • 20-02-2008 11:42am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭

OK, so we all nearly agree that it a smashing looking car, its getting good reviews and with diesels dropping in price this year could be a very attractive package.

BUT....

do you trust that the car will not nosedive in value, and do you trust Citroen reliability, and more to the point, do you trust Citroen dealers to be able to sort it out if all goes wrong?

I am tempted by the car, but am worried about what happens after the fact.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭domania

Yes it will nosedive in value, Yes I do trust Citroen reliability, have one myself, and no I don't trust Citroen dealers as they are expensive and most of the ones are new to Citroen so don't have the years of experience behind them.

They can be quirky with niggly faults but mine has never let me down. So only go to a dealer that has the francise for a number of years as experience is key.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I'd buy one (I want a c6 tho:)) and tbh decreciation doent bother me in the slightest when I'm buying a car I buy the car I want and like.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭GERMAN ROCKS

Stekelly wrote: »
    I'd buy one (I want a c6 tho:)) and tbh decreciation doent bother me in the slightest when I'm buying a car I buy the car I want and like.

+1 smashing car in my opinion and there diesel engine is bullet proof

• Closed Accounts Posts: 683 ✭✭✭leincar

I would have bought one but the May launch date was to late for me. I went and bought a Passat instead. I hope I don't regret it.

The C5 looks a great car. At least Citroen's design team are on the ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

I was thinking about that myself lately when I saw pics of the new car.

Going on the list price of the old C5 as a guide (new model prices not out yet AFAIK) I think the answer is no...

A 1.6HDI is a similar price currently to a Mazda 6 2.0 140 bhp diesel and a comparable 2.0 HDI Citroen a lot more expensive (€ 37,895!!). The Mazda has a way better brand name for reliability, resale etc.

Plus I'm pretty sure the Citroen won't meet the CO2 figures of the Mazda...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 683 ✭✭✭leincar

I e-mailed Citroen Ireland at the end of November asking if they had any ideas on the prices and specs for the C5. I got a reply which was an e-mailed version of a Gallic shrug informing me I would just have to wait and if I wished to buy a different car that was entirely up to me.

The e-mail also stated early March as the launch date so thats gone by the wayside already.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

Probably no better, I'm afraid - still down to pot luck rolling off the factory chain.

New engine and tranny required at 75,000 kms on a late 07 HDi (bought as ex-demo with a 1000 kms or so on), after 5 trips to the dealer to sort this-that-the other major (on top of regular servicing). Dealer is offering the transplants completely free of charge, btw - that'll tell you the scale of the problem.

And the dealers are still getting the 'cloack and dagger factory fixers' doing the rounds (at least in France).

Btw, that's "first-and-a-half hand" (my Dad) with about 30 years of Citroën TurboD ownerhsip, encompassing everything from the first CX Turbo D to the latest C5 HDi (and plenty of BXs and XMs inbetween).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Sandwich

I certainly would. In fact probably will.

Hoping its value drops like a stone - making it a great value 3 or 4 year old purchase.

Advertisement