Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hypnosis?

• 20-02-2008 11:46am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭

Hi all!

Not sure if I'm in the right area to ask this question, but here goes anyway!
    I'm currerntly researching the effects of hypnosis at the moment...I was thinking of going and getting a few sessions to try to get rid of my life-long anxiety problems. I've gone to doctors about this and all they have suggested is medication, something I'm not so keen about. Has anyone any advice for me (for or against) I'm just looking to get an idea of whether it's a good idea or not really. I've heard some of the usual bad stories we all hear about, "guy starts clucking like a chicken days later", etc.
    If anyone here has tried hypnosis it'd be great to hear what you thought of it!
    Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Dickburn

Hey Sugarbear,

Might I suggest some thing called Human Givens. It is a new approach to mental health and emotional wellbeing and one that I have found really works. It explains how anxiety works and how to solve it. Just give it a google ;0)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

Hypnosis is not a therapy in itself. It can be used as a technique in part of a therapy eg CBT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

Hypnosis is not a therapy in itself. It can be used as a technique in part of a therapy eg CBT.

Most hypnotherapists use it along with meditation and NLP in my understanding. I never heard of it being use as part of CBT, would this be common?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

Depends on the therapist & their training. Some will have done training in hypnosis, most wont'. Some trainings in hypnosis are dubious as they seem to believe that hypnosis is a stand-alone treatment.
    Hypnosis has been shown to be an effective adjunct to CBT (Kirsch
    et al,1995)

The clinical hypnosis training provided by the Hypnosis Unit in the
    Psychology Department at UCL (now named the Hypnosis Unit UK) has always stressed
    the adjunctive use of hypnosis. I don't know the state of Hypnosis training in Ireland. The underlying therapy should be central to the
    application of hypnosis. Hypnosis should never be considered *instead* of
    other therapies. If you are interested in hypnosis research you can look up
    www.hypnosisunituk.com which has a good bit of info. Hope that helps.

Meditation in terms of mindfulness is now often used in CBT especially in ACT (Acceptance & Committment Therapy).

Don't forget that CBT is an umbrella term for a lot of connected evidence based therapies, that share the same understanding of how emotions work.

As you can see from my other post, I'm a bit dubious about the evidence base for NLP. I'd like to see a fair body of good research on this first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

Cheers thank for that. I'll check out that link later. I concur about the adjunctive use of hypnosis, often I find that this things, hypnosis, NLP seem to offering quick fix answers, which may work for smaller issues but not for everthing. As noted on the similar thread there is a strong marketing element to it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement