Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Model runs-late february to end of march

Options

Comments

fffffffffffffffffffffffffiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii
    darkman2 with all due respect.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

unlikely for much snow then it will be extremely marginal, its just gettin too late now, it'll be nearly April then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Paddy.1

Friday next looks a most interesting day according to both ECM and GFS:

ecm500_144.png

GFS:

GFSFriday.png

Could be the North and East that benefits most out of this, whatever it may bring; the west and south will depend on convective forcings. Either way, not looking overly spring like in medium term. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭CM21

Certainly looks good for snow from friday on.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,431 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

If only it was Dec, Jan or Feb, too late I fear for any real excitement.
    I'm on hols next week, any snow up by Sally Gap will be snapped!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

its kinda annoying that we mostly seem to get the perfect snow type charts mid to late march every year when its just about too late, yet these charts never seem to happen in January/February when they would work wonders.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Well well well it looks like March could deliver again?

And continue to illustrate that our seasons are definately changing.

But don't think that just because it's going to be mid-late March that it cannot snow.

Obviously snow will melt during the day and melt quite fast but we've been living with these type of snowfalls for a long time now because we have had crap synoptics.

These synoptics look great and a Northerly in March can actually bring really cold weather, better than a High over Scandy, the synoptics forecast would bring the coldest weather there could be at this stage of the year.

Infact it could even be more exciting with that added kick of convection into the cold spell.

Some places could see lots of snow :D

Long way off yet, even though there is almost total agreement on it.

Expected to last a long time too!

Recm1681.gif

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

It looks atm like we can expect fronts and active troughs to move south. We will need these at night in particular because shower activity will be restricted then to windward coasts. All models going for a potent, long, sharp cold snap.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,851 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Surely it's too good to be true? I refuse to get my hopes up until i see the snow falling outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭kerry1960

Surely it's too good to be true? I refuse to get my hopes up until i see the snow falling outside.

once again , completely and totally off topic as usual (sorry snowbie) , but i had been looking forward to a trip to castlebar for the kerry/mayo match , unfortunately my football trip is off , so i'd settle for the following :

1 mayo to have the snow.

2 kerry to win the march .

slightly back on topic but i can't see the SW getting much from this upcoming cold spell , a few frosty nights , and a few nice bright chilly days will suit me fine ,
    ;)

• Advertisement

kerry1960 wrote: »
    once again , completely and totally off topic as usual (sorry snowbie) , but i had been looking forward to a trip to castlebar for the kerry/mayo match , unfortunately my football trip is off , so i'd settle for the following :

1 mayo to have the snow.

2 kerry to win the march .

slightly back on topic but i can't see the SW getting much from this upcoming cold spell , a few frosty nights , and a few nice bright chilly days will suit me fine ,
    ;)

it's more likely we'd have the snow than beat Kerry:(

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭kerry1960

it's more likely we'd have the snow than beat Kerry:(

some time next week , headlines ,

all roads in kerry blocked with snow ,

mayo footballers hammer the kingdom ,

would you swop ?:)

kerry1960 wrote: »
    some time next week , headlines ,

all roads in kerry blocked with snow ,

mayo footballers hammer the kingdom ,

would you swop ?:)

Of course!! Snow is far more important to me than a Gaelic match - especially a league game.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Paddy.1

Snow is far more important to me than a Gaelic match

I agree;)

msl_uv850_z500!Wind%20850%20and%20mslp!144!Europe!pop!od!oper!public_plots!2008031600!!chart.gif

Great barbecue weather ahead if ECM to be believed, if thou art into that kind of thing. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

Interesting feature on the 06z GFS. Low forms off the North coast and comes down and runs across the Irish sea. Pointless to look at details that far ahead but that would give a very interesting night for the East coast, and for a lot of the country for that matter, if it came off!
    http://85.214.49.20/wz/pics/Rtavn1684.png
    http://85.214.49.20/wz/pics/Rtavn16817.png
    http://85.214.49.20/wz/pics/Rtavn1681.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I can't belive you saddos want snow during Easter! :pac:

For petes sake I'm waiting for the warm sun. :(

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

2dv4dwp.jpg

mike65 wrote: »
    I can't belive you saddos want snow during Easter! :pac:

For petes sake I'm waiting for the warm sun. :(

Mike.

I feel exactly the same way, Its mid to late March and T-Shirt weather should just be around the corner. There is something wrong about cold snaps in late March/early April just as there is something wrong about warm sunny days in January/February. I love snow but not when its this late heading towards summer. Its around now I expect the start of the buildup to hopefully a much better summer than we had last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

I agree, its almost April and snow at this time of year is useless- it melts easily in the strong sunshine and cold weather will stunt the growth of plants. I just want warm sunny days now- a repeat of last years April would be excellent.

Great 6z run this morning. It does look like the North and West will bare the brunt of the snow as is usual in a Northerly but given the time of year everywhere is at risk from Friday on. Get a disturbance in the flow the winds could shift Northeasterly at times and there is also a good chance of active troughs moving south which would bring the prospect of more prolonged sleet and snow at times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Quite chill:D:D

Rtavn1501.png

Expect alot of snow Saturday night if this comes off........note the trough that has moved through

ECM1-168.GIF?16-0

Nice chart. If that chart proves to be correct i hope it's cold enough on the ground for the snow to stick. A few of hours of lying snow Saturday night would be grand. I don't care if it's gone by midday on Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Very quite in here after the 18z
    FI 18z indicates a downgrade on the prospects for a significant cold shot over Easter.
    24hr snap(toppler) followed by a pressure rise from the west with maritime air in the mix. -12 850s over the east on the 12z to -6c 850's on this run(18z) for same peroid.

Again always the danger of judging FI charts for a significant cold shot this far out.
    One run but could swing back?
    Interesting model watching over the next runs and see where it goes from there.

Snowbie wrote: »
    Very quite in here after the 18z
    FI 18z indicates a downgrade on the prospects for a significant cold shot over Easter.
    24hr snap(toppler) followed by a pressure rise from the west with maritime air in the mix. -12 850s over the east on the 12z to -6c 850's on this run(18z) for same peroid.

Again always the danger of judging FI charts for a significant cold shot this far out.
    One run but could swing back?
    Interesting model watching over the next runs and see where it goes from there.
    Yeah that was an injection of reality wasn't it.
    I guess you can't blame people this time for being optimistic as there is so much ensemble agreement.
    If we had that in january it would be exciting.

Right about now, it's not.

Incidently,this mornings GFS has changed things back again.
    TBH I wish it hadn't-because if its going to get cold,I'd wish it got cold and snowed significantly rather than just got cold and sleety wet.

I'd rather a heatwave over that at this time of the year anytime.
    Both have similar probabilities in general at this time of the year I think ie slim.

Yup, i concur that the ensemble agreement is consistent for awhile now.
    6z has swung back in favour of a lengthy snap covering the Easter weekend again with added troughs moving down from the north.

Although i would not call for this untill much closer the time.
    6z does indicate cold to very cold conditions compared to yesterdays 18z.
    Also we are getting close to the reliable time frame.

Madonna wasn't it?
    Paraphrasing..

We've seen it all before,we've seen it all before , we've seen it all before...

Better synoptics earlier in winters gone by have been raved about on this forum and no snow fall (other than local flukes)of any significance yet in the nearly 5 years people have been posting about them.

I don't share darkman2's enthusiasm this time,I'd have thought experience would be telling this time and the huge number of times similar or better synoptics have delivered nothing but a damp sleety squib would be showing at this stage but they are not.
    Realism needs to bite.
    This is march almost april which is worse.
    Another thing thats missing by the way is an unmodified cold surface air feed in any of the runs.
    It's a thing thats you do definitely need.Experience tells us this in the last 5 years of posting about -5 to -10 850 temps.
    Without the un modified/barely modified cold surface feed ESPECIALLY at this time of the year,I'm not getting excited.

Doubtless I'll hear from they who should have learned a bit more by now that all is rosy and we are soon to be snowed in.

Nonsense.

I'll save my own analysis of the upcoming cool spell for later in the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Don't sugar coat you're thoughts, tell us exactly how you feel.;)

The only thing going against your thoughts is the change in the weather. Sooner or later we will have snow, then I will be right to get excited about nothing.

The 18z is rolling out atm and comparing this to the 12z which transfered the moreof potential to the eastern UK, we shall see.
    12z had a reload of a northerly through the easter weekend, what will the 18z bring now?

• Advertisement

Posted this on NW
    Certainly looks good for SE England for some snow showers on Saturday with maxima around two or three degrees and a nice dose of Artic air. Those further west dont despair just yet and keep your eyes on this feature to the west of Ireland

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rtavn1144.png

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rtavn1142.png

Over the past couple of runs its been getting closer and is coming up against very cold air on its Eastern flank. Southeast England will do well out of this but others may have the last laugh on Saturday

Advertisement