Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New radar system at Dublin airport???

• 20-02-2008 12:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,319 ✭✭✭

Hi, does anyone know if there has been a new radar system installed recently at Dublin airport? I've heard that there are currently customers having problems receiving their digital TV service over the MMDS service Chorus/ntl provide in the Dublin area from their transmitter at Naul. I thought I heard from someone that their was a new radar system recently installed at the airport and I was wondering if this was causing these problems. If there is a new system, does anyone know what frequency the radar operates at? I was going to post in the cable, mmds and IPTV sections but as my question is more specific to requesting information about the radar system at the airport, I thought this location was more appropriate. Mods, feel free to move it if you think this is the wrong place for this thread. Thanks :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,470 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Radars do not operate at a specific frequency.

there was a new VOR installed near the runway 10 threshold not so long ago however....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 668 ✭✭✭ch252

there was a new VOR installed near the runway 10 threshold not so long ago however....

True....and they operate at about 108.0 to 115.0khz....! no more than 118.00 and no less that 108.00
    Maybe someone can specify as to the exact frequency of the vor as I dont really fly there anymore.

Darragh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,319 ✭✭✭highdef

Many thanks Darragh-K and NeonCircles. With regards to the new VOR which was installed recently, do you know if this operates at a particular frequency or just in the 108.0 - 115 KHz band? Is their anything that transmits at approx 2.75 GHz, by any chance?

highdef wrote: »
    Many thanks Darragh-K and NeonCircles. With regards to the new VOR which was installed recently, do you know if this operates at a particular frequency or just in the 108.0 - 115 KHz band? Is their anything that transmits at approx 2.75 GHz, by any chance?

It operates on frequency 111.200khz
    I wouldn't know of anything on 2.75ghz, maybe someone else does though, I only have a limited knowledge of the airport.

Darragh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,470 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Possibly digital radios of the gardai or something? The airband only operates from 118 to 136mhz and NAV aids on 108-115khz. Dont think anything in aviation operates on the ghz band

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,319 ✭✭✭highdef

OK, no worries. After I had posted, I found out some information that there is some new radar system which was installed recently that operates at 2.75 GHz. That's all I know about it at the moment, I'm afraid. Thanks anyway though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭pbirney

darragh-k wrote: »
    It operates on frequency 111.200khz
    I wouldn't know of anything on 2.75ghz, maybe someone else does though, I only have a limited knowledge of the airport.

Darragh
    Just a small correction Daragh. That freq. should read 111.200 MHz.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭pbirney

AFAIK radars do operate on specific frequencies.

Secondary Surveillance Radar transmits pulses from the ground station on 1030MHz and the reply from the aircraft is on 1090MHz.

pbirney wrote: »
    Just a small correction Daragh. That freq. should read 111.200 MHz.

Jays! I just realised I did that with all my posts on this thread!, thanks dude

Advertisement