Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Query re MCSE and MCTS certs

Options
  • 20-02-2008 12:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭

Hi All

A colleague of mine is studying for his MCSE but plans to do the Sharepoint 70-630 exam as his elective. That exam awards the status "MCTS: Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007 – Configuration". When he is finished his exams, does that mean he will be an MCSE and MCTS Sharepoint ... ? i.e. are you still awarded the MCTS if you use it as an elective towards your MCSE?

McGintyMcGoo

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

Very short answer is yes

I have done that for my MCSA, I did the MCTS Vista so I have the MCSA and MCTS Vista as well

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

As Ginger said the answer is yes.

I had a look at the Sharepoint exam, personally I won't use it as an elective unless he is quite good with Sharepoint, its not an "easy" exam as they go

The 630 MOSS exam deals with the Enterprise features of MOSS and as such unless you are using them you will have a tough time.

Also you may need a bit of .NET 2.0 knowledge and a strong knowledge of STSADM commands.

I would look maybe at doing the MCSA with the XP as your client and then the Vista exam as your elective. Its one of the easiest electives out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭McGintyMcGoo

Thanks for that. He's been working with Sharepoint for the past couple of years so I guess he knows what he is letting himself in for.

McGintyMcGoo

Then tell him do the WSS exam instead, it will be a bit easier than the MOSS exam as it follows SPS2001/2003 ideas rather than needing to know more of the MOSS specific stuff

• Advertisement
Advertisement