Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCD gets €13.7m SIF allocation

Options
  • 20-02-2008 1:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭

According to the UCD homepage, €13.7m has been allocated by the Department of Education to UCD. What would you spend it on (in UCD)?

I say, subsidise good food. Lots of it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭Richie15

Parking. They should build a multi-story. Some days it can take up to an hour to find a spot, and that's only the days I manage to! Unless they do something about that, I'll have to start using *shudders* public transportation.

By the way, what's SIF?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Swimming pool!!! And free drink.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

Richie15 wrote: »
    Parking. They should build a multi-story. Some days it can take up to an hour to find a spot, and that's only the days I manage to! Unless they do something about that, I'll have to start using *shudders* public transportation.

By the way, what's SIF?

Strategic Innovation Fund, according to ucd.ie. I don't know anything about it further than they give out lots of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

It will probably go into marketing the college and making the place look nice. A multistory or underground car park is deserately needed.

1) Dig a big hole
    2)Build a car park
    3)Cover car park with dirt
    4)Plant trees.

13m well spent.

Either that or buy some books for the damn library

• Closed Accounts Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Ernie Ball

Funny, I'd guess €13.7 million is almost exactly the deficit that Hughy and co. have racked up since they got here.

So I imagine they'll be using it to improve nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,404 ✭✭✭Goodluck2me

love the idea of an underground car-park as it should alleviate some of the congestion around the place, if its spent on marketing then surely we will just attract MORE people with more cars and the problem worsens.

Something to brighten the place up would be good too, that new area outside the arts block is very nice, and the new astro pitches are infinitely useful too.
    I see they are planting tree`s up by centra now too.

Some more green areas/social areas please!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

heated smoking sections ! or our own dedicated Luas line into town !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭PennyLane

That's probably not enough to expand housing, is it? Because then maybe we wouldn't need more parking. If only they could use it to make the buses more reliable...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

A multi-storey carpark is already planned, I think as part of the new development by the N11 (subject to planning permission). Of course, they also plan to put in a hotel...

Swimming pool is also planned and currently being paid for by students.

I think more on-campus accommodation wouldn't go amiss. May not be enough but at least it could go towards it. With the dip in the housing market I know a lot of people who were either very lucky to find or didn't manage to find accommodation this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭stolenwine

Here's a genial idea how about they give the money to ailing academic departments who need it and to the library. Let's not forget why we are attending a university.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 388 ✭✭Blut

"How come in 1st year we used to have a tutorial every week but now in final year only have two tutorials a semester?"
    "One simple reason: lack of funding to the department"

Real conversation we had in one of my History tutorials with a lecturer. So yeah, more parking would be lovely but realistically the actual academic departments probably need it most. Knowing Brady though I imagine it'll go towards funding a giant fountain at the N11 gate or some such.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭imp

How about spending it on a colossal golden statue of Hugh Brady? Anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

heard that trinity got something around 30million?

that would be sooooo lose compare to that.....better use them well..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭redcar

According to the paper Trinity got a bit less than UCD.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭breadmonkey

imp wrote: »
    How about spending it on a colossal golden statue of Hugh Brady? Anyone?
    +1

Also, I'd be very surprised if they built an underground car park since digging massive holes in the ground costs a lot of money. A hideous multi storey will have to do!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

seraphimvc wrote: »
    heard that trinity got something around 30million?

that would be sooooo lose compare to that.....better use them well..

I think that's DCU you're thinking of. Not sure though.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭Richie15

I'd be very surprised if they built an underground car park since digging massive holes in the ground costs a lot of money.
    I know a Polish lad who'll do it for a tenner. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 950 ✭✭✭EamonnKeane

More "art" like that piece of crap outside Quinn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭ucd_guy

A multistorey'll be fine but they will without doubt start charging students a hefty fee, and then everyone'll be complaining too!

Ernie Ball wrote: »
    Funny, I'd guess €13.7 million is almost exactly the deficit that Hughy and co. have racked up since they got here.

So I imagine they'll be using it to improve nothing.

You probably thought I was kidding when I wrote this. See the front page of today's Observer?

Headline: UCD Finances €15 million in the red.

Little did I know that the €15 million was for 2007-2008 alone.

This has been a problem since Hughy took over. In past years, it has been masked by real estate deals (selling Earlsfort Terrace) and the like. Now it's out in the open.

Basically, Brady blew a wad on extra administrators and Vice Presidents ("for Innovation!" and the like because everyone knows that nothing can happen unless it's administered) and now the bill is coming due. The result will be that, despite having a woeful infrastructure (cough library cough), UCD will become an even worse place in which to study and research.

Thanks, Hugh!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 950 ✭✭✭EamonnKeane

We should all get 13,700,000 games of Pocket Money to share (the pool game under the library)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭maxi-twist

No point in a car park as with the charging coming in next year a lot less people are going to drive. A simming pool would be handy!

maxi-twist wrote: »
    No point in a car park as with the charging coming in next year a lot less people are going to drive. A simming pool would be handy!

Where'd you get the information that charging was coming in? So far, this hasn't been negotiated.

Advertisement