Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Argos panniers,any use ?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

I got a set in argos myself ,they're cheap and not waterproof.
    They're not raleigh ones though ,argos own brand i think.

These are waterproof http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=13970

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Sean02

Argos Pro Action panniers and rack are excellent , don't know if there still in the catalogue. Pay particular attention when fitting rack. using insulation tape under fittings is essential and also I never used nuts and bolts that were supplied with rack. Better go to B&Q and get stronger stainless steel ones and for security add a locking nut. When touring I always cut a large gussetted plastic bag to size as liner for pannier. This makes it totaly waterproof and also very handy to remove your gear at your destination.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I used Argos panniers for a 3.5 month tour back in 1998 and they were fine. Not as nice as the Karrimor ones I have now, but completely fine. I expect they have only got better in the last 10 years. More than fine for commuting. Sean's tip about putting a plastic bag inside is a good idea.

Not sure what he's on about regarding the nuts and bolts with the rack though, the ones that come with it should be fine. People don't steal racks in my experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭RDM_83

Thanks very much, will probably pick some up this weekend (and thanks for pointing out there not water proof-there's nothing like the frustration of having your work soaked)

TBH I'd go for the CRC ones Brian mentioned, same price more or less and waterproof sounds like a better deal. CRC deliver free and quickly (1 or 2 days.)

• Advertisement

Noting to do with rack thief's. After a near disaster on a LE2JOG when a stay fitting came loose. Sometimes parts manufactures use one for all bolts with stotted or star heads. Hex heads in the largest size usable together with a locking nut, will guaranteed a solid fitting. Extra cost about €5.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

Nothing to do with argos panniers but I have a pair of Ortlieb clip on panniers, they'er for the front but the fit on the back of my bike perfectly. I was in Berlin last year and absolutely everybody on a bike was using them.

Ideal for the laptop and a few bits and bobs going to work. They are roll top like gear bags used for boating and are totally waterproof.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

Ortlieb gear is mighty expensive ,I've a small front ortlieb bag and it was €100:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭Ghost Rider

It ain't cheap but it's not too pricey. I got my pair of rear Ortlieb panniers for around 90 brick.
    _Brian_ wrote: »
    Ortlieb gear is mighty expensive ,I've a small front ortlieb bag and it was €100:eek:

Sean02 wrote: »
    Noting to do with rack thief's. After a near disaster on a LE2JOG when a stay fitting came loose. Sometimes parts manufactures use one for all bolts with stotted or star heads. Hex heads in the largest size usable together with a locking nut, will guaranteed a solid fitting. Extra cost about €5.
    This may be a good idea, mine were originally fitted with hex bolts (fitted in a bike shop) and I did have to donate one of them (have double bolts) to my GF on our recent Camino- so I take that back, check your bolts! Otherwise, my rack bolts have gone 9 years+ without adjudtment (and I have been 1 bolt on one side for 1 year or so now..)

• Advertisement

Hi Blorg, on a diffeerent subject, where did you start your Camino from ? . I'm interested in getting a report on the Anglet to St-Jean-Pied-de-Port road. If you took this route to the start your comments would be appreciated.
    regards
    Sean

Advertisement