Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you spit your gum on the ground

• 20-02-2008 1:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭

I have to say if I was in charge I'd ban gum, a few minutes chewing isn't worth having every street in the country destroyed by the stuff

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭mental07

The worst is when you find chewed gum under your desk, or on the seat in front of you on the bus

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

*Somebody* over the summer (I have a pretty good idea who) stuck gum to the back of my bedframe, and on the skirting board beside their bed. WHO is that bloody lazy and disgusting?

I think chewing gum should be banned - it's just horrible. You sound disgusting eating it and look like a gobshíte. The worst is people who chew it loudly or snap it. It's honestly capable of making me homicidal.

There's tic-tacs or mints if you want it to freshen your breath. Otherwise, it has absolutely no benefit.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Beerlao

MooseJam wrote: »
    I have to say if I was in charge I'd ban gum, a few minutes chewing isn't worth having every street in the country destroyed by the stuff
    you wanna move to Singapore then.

Gum doesn't destroy streets, people do :p

i use bins

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

Ew, no I don't spit it on the ground. I usually have a million bus tickets in my bag so put it in one of those if I'm not near a bin.

Have to admit to being an obsessive gum chewer though, I always have some with me and probably chew around 3 a day. But it annoys me so much when people chew it loudly or with their mouths open, just UGH.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,998 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Faith wrote: »
    Otherwise, it has absolutely no benefit.
    If it wasn't for chewing gum, I'd probably be back on 60 cigarettes a day (10 years off them :)). I chew it discreetly though and (nearly) always dispose of it properly.

• Advertisement

What is so difficult about just swallowing.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Beerlao

Moonbaby wrote: »
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

oh hang on, were you being serious?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

Um, no. I'd rather not put anything in my body that's not actually food.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

If it wasn't for chewing gum, I'd probably be back on 60 cigarettes a day (10 years off them :)). I chew it discreetly though and (nearly) always dispose of it properly.

Oh fine, ruin my nice moralistic post, why don't you! :p

Eh, it's like rubber? Anything you can chew for over a minute without it being completely dissolved should never be swallowed! What do you think your insides will do with it? It'll just sit there for a while.

Faith wrote: »
    Eh, it's like rubber? Anything you can chew for over a minute without it being completely dissolved should never be swallowed! What do you think your insides will do with it? It'll just sit there for a while.

It is fibre it will pass through.

If chewing completely dissolved everything then we wouldn't need stomach acid, enzemyes or a pooper shooter.

Bin....toilet bowl....I suppose it is all the same at the end of the day.
    Better to not bother with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

I used to, but then one day, I found some inside my jacket, stuck to the inside of my sleeve, so i said feck that, and now use a bin where possible except in cases where it's an urban area and there's not a bin to be had, so then I just throw it wherever because they haven't bothered to provide a bin. I'm from westport btw :D

Your breath stinks more, after you spit out chewing gum. The minty breath only stays for a while, but after the wiff of mint leaves, then ur breath just smells worse. ...and thats FACT. Hence the reason, I've turned into a Mint Man, or else a Mouthwash Man...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭forkassed

Step 1. spit gum high into the air
    2. volley as far as possible-extra points for clearing nearest car!
    3.pat self on back if successful
    4.out of sight out of mind-unless successful in step 3 in which case dwell
    on previous glory.
    5.Get out the wrigleys

• Registered Users Posts: 987 ✭✭✭ekevosu

It is fibre it will pass through.

If chewing completely dissolved everything then we wouldn't need stomach acid, enzemyes or a pooper shooter.

Bin....toilet bowl....I suppose it is all the same at the end of the day.
    Better to not bother with it.

Most people don't swallow gum because of the old wives tales that it takes seven years to digest (at least that's what I was told growing up). Your stomach can't digest it but it does pass through allright same as normal.

Its not too hard to find a piece of paper to wrap it in (use the gum wrapper) before you find a bin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

I hate to litter, I think chewing gum ads should be made to make anti chewing gum spitting ads, like the warnings on fag packs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

My sister used to swallow other people's chewing gum for them when she was in school and a teacher was coming. Gross, I know.

I never have chewing gum these days but when I was younger I was terrified of swallowing it because I was told that it would stick to your heart and eventually stop it beating. (My parents were so mean!)

I'd NEVER throw anything on the ground. My dad spends hours every week out litter picking with Tidy Towns and I have way too much respect for the amount of work he puts in to litter. Anyway, I don't see why people cant just find a bin!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

forkassed wrote: »
    Step 1. spit gum high into the air
    2. volley as far as possible-extra points for clearing nearest car!
    3.pat self on back if successful
    4.out of sight out of mind-unless successful in step 3 in which case dwell
    on previous glory.
    5.Get out the wrigleys
    Ha-ha :D

Yes indeed, I have been known to partake of this particular past-time, it has to be said.
    janeybabe wrote: »
    My sister used to swallow other people's chewing gum for them when she was in school and a teacher was coming. Gross, I know.
    Ew.
    janeybabe wrote: »
    I never have chewing gum these days but when I was younger I was terrified of swallowing it because I was told that it would stick to your heart and eventually stop it beating. (My parents were so mean!)

This is actually true. A cousin of a dude I was in primary school with had it happen to his friend. Ended up in hospital after years of gum-swallowing, they opened him up and found eight kilos of gum around his heart. He was so lucky he didn't die.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,998 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

ekevosu wrote: »
    Its not too hard to find a piece of paper to wrap it in (use the gum wrapper) before you find a bin.
    It's handy enough if one is using the 'stick' type but not for the 'tablet' type as they aren't individually wrapped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭dellas1979

How do you get a quote to appear when you are replying to a post?

dellas1979 wrote: »
    How do you get a quote to appear when you are replying to a post?

click on the quote button on the post

I should add that this acts the same as clicking on post reply but adds the quote.

DesF wrote: »
    This is actually true. A cousin of a dude I was in primary school with had it happen to his friend. Ended up in hospital after years of gum-swallowing, they opened him up and found eight kilos of gum around his heart. He was so lucky he didn't die.

I don't get it. Where is the punchline?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,119 ✭✭✭Wagon

I don't get it. Where is the punchline?

Well, at least he didn't spit in on the ground so i guess his heart was in the right place. There's your punchline and aren't you bloody happy?! :p

There's always those bastards who stuck them under the desk in school and inevitably one day, you'd out your hand on it and then you go around thinking you have AIDS for the next 3 years and avoid girls because you're being noble and then you hit college and your 21 and you realise that your hand knows you best and it's ironic because that's the one you touched the chewing gum with in the first place...

Yeah. Ban gum. nothing good can possibly come of chewing gum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

Wagon wrote: »

Yeah. Ban gum. nothing good can possibly come of chewing gum.

minty fresh breath?

the legend of macgyver probably would never have come about without gum

Advertisement