Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rate my new bike (well I haven't bought it yet)

Options
  • 20-02-2008 1:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭

Hiya, I was in Cycle Superstore at the weekend and saw this

I liked it because it was light - but the one I tried was a smidgen too small.

Anyway, the price is good for me since I'll only be using this for commuting, and possibly the odd cycle at the weekend.

But I've never heard of the brand Lapierre before - does anyone have any feedback? Alternatively, if you can suggest something else for around the same price, it'd be much appreciated.

P.S I don't like any of those girlie dropped cross bar things ...!

Thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Glowing wrote: »
    But I've never heard of the brand Lapierre before - does anyone have any feedback?

They're a pretty respectable French brand. You won't see that many of them around because only the Cyclesuperstore sell them in Ireland.
    P.S I don't like any of those girlie dropped cross bar things ...!

Drops rule

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Johnnio13

Was going to buy that also, but they only had a small frame, 19" I think...Lapierre have some decent bikes, look up the website.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭beans

That's not a girlie crossbar, more a standard compact-geometry crossbar and pretty standard on a lot of hybrids. You'll experience quite an upright riding position I'd imagine.

I don't have any experience with LaPierre bikes but it looks ok for the money, and most of the chatter around shows them in a positive light.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

beans wrote: »
    That's not a girlie crossbar, more a standard compact-geometry crossbar and pretty standard on a lot of hybrids. You'll experience quite an upright riding position I'd imagine.

Actually, thats why I thought the frame was too small - i felt like I was sitting too upright, like the horizontal bar was too short if you get my drift? Although the height was pretty spot on ....

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭Limestone1

I bought the same model last september and use it for commuting approx 6 miles each way 4/5 days a week.
    Can't remember exactly what I paid for it (it was around that price) but they did throw in a set of mudguards so worth pushing for that or a few bob off.
    Apart from a slight buckle on the rear wheel the bike is in top nick. I had to "tune up " a few things after about a month , the rear gear shifting in particular but I guess that is probably normal with a new bike that isn't used to being knocked around our unsmoothened streets. Also I went from commuting on a mountain bike to this and probably treated it a bit rough at the start ..but I avoid jumping up and down off the footpaths now ....

I don't like the adjustment thingy on the deraillaur (rear) and the shifter (front) as they are easily moved and don't lock into place but apart from that I have no complaints.

Oh , almost forgot - I swapped the pedals for my mountain bike ones as the ones that come with it were flimsy and the straps (a poor imitation of toe clips) were pathetic. Then again I don't use toe clips or SPDs on the commute ,just ordinary shoes

• Advertisement

Actually they even admitted in the store that the pedals were crap, and they offered to change them for me if I bought the bike.

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,501 ✭✭✭daymobrew

But I've never heard of the brand Lapierre before - does anyone have any feedback? Alternatively, if you can suggest something else for around the same price, it'd be much appreciated.
    I have a Lapierre road bike for 2.5 yrs. Serves me well.
    I see more and more Lapierre bikes around these days, especially in duathlons and triathlons.

Limestone1 - Cycle Superstore should have told you to bring the bike back in after 6-8 weeks for a tune up. Cables stretch and bolts settle. Quite normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,634 ✭✭✭Enduro

You see a huge amount of LaPierre mountain bikes these days, especially the higher end ones. I was out MTBing with 2 other people this evening and we were all on various different kinds of LaPierres. I love mine.

Thanks for all your comments! I finally went out and bought this shiny new LaPierre RC100 '08 in Cycle Superstore.

Isn't she lovely!

Now, there still remains the ultimate test - the commute to work tomorrow, BRRRRRR.

Thanks again. :D

Advertisement