Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connection drops when i start to download

Options
  • 20-02-2008 1:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭

I have recently just set up our broadband. Its a wireless connection using the latest modem from Eircom.

I can surf the net no problem. As soon as i attempt to download anything the connection is dropped!!:mad: The DSL light is remains solid green. I have to restart the modem to reconnect.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.:confused:

Cheers:D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Update the driver on the computer and check for new firmware for the router if that doesn't work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Jor-El wrote: »
    As soon as i attempt to download anything the connection is dropped!!:mad:

What are you using to download? Is it P2P, nntp, ftp, or just web downloads? Does this happen for all websites, or for any size file? Can you watch video on Youtube (these can often be 1-10MB files that are downloaded in the background)?

It's very strange that a download would cause the connection to drop. The only thing I can think of would be your virus scanner or firewall is blocking whatever you're trying to download. When the connection "drops" can you still browse or is everything gone?

I'm feeling rather duplicated :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

I doubt it only happens when your downloading something. It must drop the rest of the time too. It might drop for a few minutes and then come up.

I know I had this problem with my wireless on an old laptop an it turned out to be a dodgy driver from Intel.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Jor-El

jor el wrote: »
    What are you using to download? Is it P2P, nntp, ftp, or just web downloads? Does this happen for all websites, or for any size file? Can you watch video on Youtube (these can often be 1-10MB files that are downloaded in the background)?

It's very strange that a download would cause the connection to drop. The only thing I can think of would be your virus scanner or firewall is blocking whatever you're trying to download. When the connection "drops" can you still browse or is everything gone?

I'm feeling rather duplicated :(

Hi guys thanks for the response,

I dont use anything to download..just web downloads. I can watch videos no problem. When the connection drops everything is gone!! I have to switch the reboot the laptop!!!

I tested the issue.

Browsed the web for 5 minutes and then went to download....connection GONE!!

Another 5 minutes on the net...attemp download...Connection GONE!!!

And so on... now the browsing time would differ. But as soon as i try to download connection is gone!

The connection will not come back unless i reboot the laptop!

Oh and i had to pick Jor-El as Kal-el was already taken!:rolleyes:

Advertisement