Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dustin

Options
  • 20-02-2008 1:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 28

Dustin for Eurovision. We have had turkeys singing for us the last couple of years why stop now.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭gucci

Fat Al wrote: »
    Dustin will win the Eurovision for us. We have had turkeys singing for us the last couple of years why stop now.

sorry as far as i can remember we havnt won in the last couple of years?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Donna and Joseph turkeys? How very dare you!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,452 ✭✭✭Rigsby

I have always thought the Eurovision was a farce, and not a contest in the true sense. By this I mean countries often vote for their neighbour (and for no other reason) and often politics ect playes a big part. Then there is the "you gave us a good vote last year so we'll repay you this year" syndrome :rolleyes:. It would be a real contest if we did n't know the country of origin for each song.

As for Dustin....... he'll make it even more farcical (if that's possible) so good luck to him. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

People are always on about it being a farce, and how politics come into play, but honestly, I think the best song more often than not wins out in the end. You might get uptight with the fact that Finland won with a bunch of guys dressed up as monsters, but the song was an absolutely cracking one. Ireland won before because we had great entries, The Voice was an absolutely fantastic song, and won because it deserved to.

We put on a fecking Turkey, and we'll get exactly what we deserve.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

at least we have the polish vote now :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

People are always on about it being a farce, and how politics come into play, but honestly, I think the best song more often than not wins out in the end. You might get uptight with the fact that Finland won with a bunch of guys dressed up as monsters, but the song was an absolutely cracking one. Ireland won before because we had great entries, The Voice was an absolutely fantastic song, and won because it deserved to.

I couldn't agree more.

The reason why we've been coming nowhere for the last few years is because we've been trying to second guess what'll work each year by looking at what won the previous year.

If a song is good enough it'll win regardless. It's the same reason why a good pop song (or any song for that matter) will generally hit the number one spot all across Europe when released.

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Bottleopener

The songs been revealed anyway
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1lIdd3VDBs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭slipss

Sorry my internet sarcodetector has been out of order lately so I have to ask, your taking the piss right?

slipss wrote: »
    Sorry my internet sarcodetector has been out of order lately so I have to ask, your taking the piss right?

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,519 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

BaZmO* wrote: »
    The reason why we've been coming nowhere for the last few years is because we've been trying to second guess what'll work each year by looking at what won the previous year.

Huh?!? Seriously?!

Lordi won in 2006, so we thought, hmmmm.... thats what we need to do to win.

So in 2007, we sent the Irish equivalent of Lordi - Dervish!

Just when poor Dervish thought coming in last place was as bad as it could get. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I for one will be voting for Dustin. The song is a bit mad but some of the others are pretty rubbish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Fat Al

:(;);););):confused::rolleyes::pThe song is so crap I think people will actually give us sum votes be it for the laugh or they might even feel sorry for us:):rolleyes::cool::mad::rolleyes::)

Mr E wrote: »
    Huh?!? Seriously?!

Lordi won in 2006, so we thought, hmmmm.... thats what we need to do to win.

So in 2007, we sent the Irish equivalent of Lordi - Dervish!

Just when poor Dervish thought coming in last place was as bad as it could get. ;)
    I just meant in the sense that each year they've tried to make an exaggerated performance out of each act that they've sent. Donna & Joe doing their spinning each other around dance and Dervish trying to be all diddly-i.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Hmm...well if a bunch of guys in monster outfits can win, then anything is possible.

I might enter next year. I can't sing, but that doesn't seem to be a issue in the Eurovision :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Hmm...well if a bunch of guys in monster outfits can win, then anything is possible.

What you forgot to include is guys in monster outfits with a great song.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

at least we have the polish vote now :D
    Not at all. They can't vote for Ireland from within Ireland, they will vote for Poland as will all Polish ex-pats everywhere. Watch for a landslide.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Mossy Monk wrote: »
    What you forgot to include is guys in monster outfits with a great song.
    I'm tired of people saying that it was a great song. Was it good to have a more rock orientated band in the Eurovision? Yes. Was it a good song? Not really. It was the gimmick that won it for Lordi.

Yes, it was a good song.

JC 2K3 wrote: »
    It was the gimmick that won it for Lordi.

It wasn't. It was the song, and a good one at that.

It was only a good song by Eurovision standards

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

With that crap voting system people tent to vote for the acts that are taking the piss! :D So guess what??? We should take the piss! And that's what they are doing, if you can't beat 'em - join 'em! Look at this, Lordi won it - takin' the piss, those Lithuanian guys that sang "We Are The Winners" who almost won it - takin' the piss, and that Serbian-Dwarf-Lesbian-Girl that looks like a guy won it - wasn't, but it would have made no difference! :D So we are too fecking right to be entering Dustin to take the most out of that rediculous points system.

EDIT: And to show how much of a joke it is ofcourse... ;)

You think Lordi dressed up like that to take the piss?

Yes, obviously!! That's how they were taking the piss along with the music, for the love of god, you can't take them seriously!!

Eh, they didn't dress up like that to take the piss, they've been going for many years dressed like that, had quite a career for themselves, and had 3 albums prior to their appearance on Eurovision.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,452 ✭✭✭Rigsby

Why cant we go the whole way, and have Podge and Rodge on backing vocals. :D:D :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Lordi are a metal band in the vein of GWAR - they were never a novelty act.
    They released 3 albums before entering the Eurovision. FAR more talented than Dervish/Joe/Donna/Mickey/Chris and Brian Kennedy. Because metal gets ignored by the media in this country people here didn't know what Lordi were about.

Eh, they didn't dress up like that to take the piss, they've been going for many years dressed like that, had quite a career for themselves, and had 3 albums prior to their appearance on Eurovision.
    They made 3 albums based on piss take?!? Well done! :D Despite your point I find it very VERY hard to take them seriously!!

Nailz wrote: »
    They made 3 albums based on piss take?!? Well done! :D Despite your point I find it very VERY hard to take them seriously!!

Honestly, do you even know what 'piss take' means? Who exactly are they taking the piss out of?

As Nolanger points out, they're a band like GWAR (Are Lordi taking the piss out of GWAR?) it's highly theatrical and very tongue-in-cheek. I'd hardly expect it's mean to be taken seriously, but that doesn't denote the idea to being a piss take.

Chill down Karl... Jeez! You described GWAR & Lordi "highly theatrical and very tongue-in-cheek", I agree with this point, but tongue-in-cheek isn't supposed to be serious, and taking the piss falls along the same lines. Hence my point, but to answer your questions, yes and, with that preformence, the Eurovision. But I love bands like GWAR, it's seriously funny and entertaining, and as I said (and you agreed) it's not meant to be taken seriously.

• Advertisement

Chill down Karl... Jeez!

I'm perfectly chill. :cool:
    You described GWAR & Lordi "highly theatrical and very tongue-in-cheek", I agree with this point, but tongue-in-cheek isn't supposed to be serious, and taking the piss falls along the same lines. Hence my point, but to answer your questions, yes and, with that preformence, the Eurovision. But I love bands like GWAR, it's seriously funny and entertaining, and as I said (and you agreed) it's not meant to be taken seriously.

Tongue in cheek is along the same lines as taking the piss? :confused:

Ok... Whatever you think man...

Advertisement