Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

will this work, looks to good to be true..???

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Don't know, don't believe it.

Most of these use compression and I doubt its compression is as good as the reviews make out.

Maybe it does work, it has a free trial but I'll let someone else be the test subject.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

http://www.getfullspeed.com/

does anybody know if the above link will make ur broadabd speed faster.

Nothing can make your broadband speed faster than it actually is. These kinds of software use compression to give the appearance of faster downloads. Everyting you do goes through one of their proxys (giving rise to privacy concerns) which fetches the link, compresses it and sends it to your PC. The software on your PC then decompresses it and displays, all this is done on the fly so you shouldn't notice any delay.

It will only work on something that's not already compressed though. So for mp3, divx avi, jpeg, flv, zip, rar, mpeg, etc which are already compressed there'll be no difference. It will only work on plain text, html, uncompressed bitmaps and whatever little else is still uncompressed by default.

In the end, keep your money, these things aren't worth a damn.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Vote++ on what jor_el says.

These only speed up the bits that don't make much difference.

And even then Firefox, Opera and MS IE support on the fly compression as do most webservers, (LZW?) The "sellby" date of these things was 10 years ago when few webservers did on-the-fly realtime web page compression, MP3 & MPEG4 a dream and connection was 28k dialup.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,489 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Don't waste your time or money on such a pipe dream,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

If you're a techy... set up your own squid server and use ACLs to block ads. That gives a massive increase in browsing speeds (as less graphics are loaded) and is fine privacy wise. As said above, nothing will increase your speed but you can reduce the amount you download. Odds are this program is something similar to what I suggested resold.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,518 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

jor el wrote: »
    Nothing can make your broadband speed faster than it actually is....In the end, keep your money, these things aren't worth a damn.
    That's simply not true. I've been using this for years and have noticed huge speed gains.
    sprayer.gif

The numbers don't lie:
    speedproof.gif
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Zoney

paulm17781 wrote: »
    If you're a techy... set up your own squid server and use ACLs to block ads. That gives a massive increase in browsing speeds (as less graphics are loaded) and is fine privacy wise. As said above, nothing will increase your speed but you can reduce the amount you download. Odds are this program is something similar to what I suggested resold.

You can get faster page loading even on a decent connection just by using NoScript in Firefox (Javascript, Flash, etc. blocked by default, you click an icon to whitelist a site if necessary). It speeds up rendering, and also you aren't waiting on slow third-party ad servers. Simpler and more sensible than "Adblock" or the like IMO, and fairer to the sites you are visiting (any "sane" ads they use load up fine, and you're not specifically blocking ads, just browsing with some features disabled).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

I stand humbly corrected. Those numbers look good to me, though I wouldn't be sure that the last isn't proving the non-existence of God.

If you use Firefox, install Adblock to help cut down on a bit of the excess. You can also use a firewall to block non-essential updates from applications, this might help a bit. A decent firewall (not Windows Firewall) can also help prevent spyware/adware hogging your connection if you're having slow down issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

Use no script for Firefox, i recommend it to anyone, I dont see any adds and the internet looks like it should, I am not distracted by anything I dont want.............and its a lot safer!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Bros123

That's simply not true. I've been using this for years and have noticed huge speed gains.
    sprayer.gif

The numbers don't lie:
    speedproof.gif
    :)

Thats what Irish Broadband support told me to use!!It's a magical product all right,torrents nearly set my pc on fire with the speed!

• Advertisement
Advertisement