Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fresh Fish

Options
  • 20-02-2008 1:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭

Hello

Can anyone tell me where I can get fresh fish (ie cheap as well) from? I used to go to Howth and bulk buy but it's just too far. Anything down Arklow way?

I can't afford the fishmongers prices. Buying from Howth was half the price.

Cheers

Cheeky

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 239 ✭✭wingding

I noticed the last two times I was in Wicklow that there was someone selling fish from a van in the carpark (on the left just before as you hit all the shops). It looked nice and very clean but by the time I'd done all my shopping they were gone. Both times I was there it was a Saturday so I don't know how often they are there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Lil' Smiler

Hey,

I don't know anywhere local to us in wicklow but I do know my dad gets fish from bullock harbour in dalkey and down at the ice house in Dun Laoghaire!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

There is a fishmongers in Bray, in the arcade on the main street and they are fairly reasonable

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭MuffinsDa

1. The Ice Box : at the end of Dun Laoghaire West Pier - cheap and fresh
    2. Cavsitons: Glasthule
    3. As supermarkets go, Marks and Spencers fish is usually really good.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭MegFi

The old original Morans Fish shop in Greystones!
    All fresh fish is expensive, as unfortunately fish is a luxury nowadays!Or wholesale, go into the wholesale trade fish market in town ar
    t about 5am latest (Smithfield, but moved I think) and you can buy very fresh fish wholesale (they sometimes allow small amounts). I studied hotel management and that was one of our tasks in first year...was fantastic!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Hammiepeters

The new Caviston emporium is very nice and has a nice selection of fish. But cheap it aint.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 538 ✭✭✭SickCert

Junction of Convent rd/ Georges st Dun laoghaire an old lady sells from an on the road shack! Opposite Penneys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Lil' Smiler

ahhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!

You mean Vera?? My Grandpa used to joke that she was my nana's sister.... used to be hilarious slagging her!!

Noooo do not buy from Vera, she smokes over the fish and the ash drops onto them...fair enough if you like smoked cod :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Welsh Wizard

Hello

Can anyone tell me where I can get fresh fish (ie cheap as well) from? I used to go to Howth and bulk buy but it's just too far. Anything down Arklow way?

I can't afford the fishmongers prices. Buying from Howth was half the price.

Cheers

Cheeky

Not at all helpful but I couldn't help myself....

I've a spare rod and reel in the shed if you wanna give it a go...
    :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Welsh Wizard

SickCert wrote: »
    Junction of Convent rd/ Georges st Dun laoghaire an old lady sells from an on the road shack! Opposite Penneys.

I've seen the lady there for many a year...
    Not being funny right but I think a professionally done, Black & white photo of the lady and her work would look some what trad..don't ya tink..?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Cheeky Chops

I've a spare rod and reel in the shed if you wanna give it a go...

:)

Thanks for all the replies. Morans and Cavistons are too expensive. I forgot about the Icebox.

Meg do you now where the fish market in town is? I thought it had been closed down.

Is there anywhere Arklow way?

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 21,465 ✭✭✭✭Alun

:)

Thanks for all the replies. Morans and Cavistons are too expensive. I forgot about the Icebox.

Meg do you now where the fish market in town is? I thought it had been closed down.

Is there anywhere Arklow way?

Cheers
    As someone already mentioned, try the fishmongers in the Village Gate Arcade in Bray, just off the main street. Run by a couple of Chinese guys. It's as cheap as you'll find it locally, and they often have some more unusual stuff in there as well.

The fish market in Dublin is AFAIK long gone and has moved out to some industrial estate in Blanchardstown or somewhere over that way. They probably wouldn't sell to private individuals anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Cheeky Chops

Cheers. Will try the one in Bray.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭MegFi

:) Meg do you now where the fish market in town is? I thought it had been closed down. Cheers
    It is yeeeeaaarrrsssss since I was there but I found this on-line!: -

"Part of the plan is to transform the former Dublin Wholesale Fishmarket site into a high level food emporium. All former fish market tenants have moved out to a purpose-built complex at Ballycoolin, Dublin 15."
    or check out:
    http://www.ireland.com/newspaper/commercialproperty/2005/0525/1116889036100.html

Advertisement