Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dock Leaves

Options
  • 20-02-2008 2:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Does anyone know a good spray to get rid of Dock leaves?? I have quite a large area to cover. Also, when would the best time be to spray them?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Irish Gardener

In a lawn or in a piece of wild ground?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭John mac

roundup. (as long as its not on a new lawn.)
    that nukes almost everything.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

Roundup or any other glyphosate weed killer will zap them all right, deep rooted fe*kers.
    Leave it for another few weeks though, best to spray during growing season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

get some BANDOC from an agri suppliers. Good stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

If the dock leaves are in the lawn then either use Verdone (you may need more than one application) or use Round Up - but don't spray the Round Up onto the weed as it will nuke the grass around it - it's better to 'paint' the Round Up directly onto the leaves to avoid destroying the surrounding grass.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

Don't expect to be free of docks overnight, dock seed can survive in the soil for 75 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,168 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Doc's - ugh - bain of my life in my previous abode.

We had so many that I used to 'cut the doc's' instead of 'cut the grass'.....

In the summer of 2005, it was so dry that I managed to pull a complete doc root out of the ground. I'm not joking in anyway when I say that the tap-root was 4.5 foot deep.

As mentioned above, treat them in the growing season. Try painting the leaves with glyphosate instead of spraying them - means that the adsorption is better.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 sligo01

Thanks for all your replies. Their in our lawn so Roundup is out of the question. Will try the Verdone. Just want to be prepared for when i get a good day during growing season!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

get some BANDOC from an agri suppliers. Good stuff.

Bandoc is the job.

Roundup will kill everything, where bandoc will target broad leaf weeds only.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Irish Gardener

sligo01 wrote: »
    Thanks for all your replies. Their in our lawn so Roundup is out of the question. Will try the Verdone. Just want to be prepared for when i get a good day during growing season!

Apply your verdone in May, then again a month later to knock out the vast majority of your existing docks.
    Any stragglers that reappear over the coming months and years can be spot treated with verdone or glphosate in a wax stick or swab form.
    Two other tips.....
    Mow the lawn regularly to constantly weaken the docks (but not 7 days either side of weedkilller application).
    Consider liming your soil to raise the PH above acid, as docks tend to thrive best in acid soils.

Good luck.

• Advertisement
Advertisement