Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lastest JNLR numbers

• 20-02-2008 2:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭

pdf clicky
    The reach figures for national stations were the same with the exception of RTÉ 2FM whose reach decreased slightly to 17% (-1). The figures for the other national stations were RTÉ Radio 1 at 23%, Today FM at 16%, Newstalk 106-108 at 6% and Lyric FM at 3%.
    With regard to market share, the figure for any regional/local station in the 7a.m.-7p.m. period was 47.6%, a drop of 0.4% from the last survey period. Again minor fluctuations in market share were recorded for RTÉ Radio One at 21.6% (+0.4), RTÉ 2FM with 12.8%(+0.1) and Newstalk 106-108FM at 3.4%(+0.1) Both Today FM and Lyric FM retained their respective market shares of 12.5% and 1.7%.

Little movement for the nationals.

Mike.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

I heard someone congratulating that toerag Mooney on an increase of rating, there's no accounting for taste.

Is it true Mary Wilson on drivetime took a big dip in listenership???

Entirely predictable one might say;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

Great to see Highland radio doing so well, it's a great example of what regional radio should be IMO. I had the misfortune to hear Mooney today, and the way he kept cutting across guests and - and this is the most appropriate use of this word ever - wittering actually made me angry. I mean it actually made me angry!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

Yeah Matt Cooper no1 at drive time:) A great acheivement when you think he lost around 60,000 in the first 2 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Does anyone have the links for actual programmes

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

Yeah,

for years and years I used to complain that I never got to take part in a survey and how would they know who listens. They must ask a few people and extrapolate for the whole population.

then I remembered.

back in the day when I listened to Radio Dublin, I was canvassed. Twice.

And I said I only listened to Radio Dublin. But get this, yer man had ticked off Radio2 already. So no wonder the figures for the likes of G Ryan are so high. It is my belief they are artificially inflated.

• Advertisement

Radio Dublin? The pirate Radio Dublin or was there another one?

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Big Balls

Mike for the individual time blocks you need access to the MRBI site with the data on it - same as the actual book but it's online. For that though you need passwords... (which I don't have!).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

mike65 wrote: »
    Radio Dublin? The pirate Radio Dublin or was there another one?

Mike.

The one and only. Inchicore Road.
    T-t-t-turn your radio onnnnn, 253, Radio Duuuuuublin!

My favourite vintage radio ad was for the Red Corner Shop.

Sirens blaring, fella shouting.
    "It ONLY happens once a year, the Red Corner Shop Dorset St....."
    never mind the only happening once a year, seemed to be a year long ad campaign!

How long is radio2 on the go, this is going back 25 years or so...I did get surveyed a couple of years ago, via phone. Very shifty. Nth American accented fella...Not sure if he identified himself as from JNLR

New listenership figures out today i haven't heard much about them, just Anton Savage mention that The Last Word has record breaking numbers.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

• Advertisement

Newstalk still bumping along near the bottom, but in Cork they are pulling away from Lyric at last!

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

tampopo wrote: »
    Yeah,

for years and years I used to complain that I never got to take part in a survey and how would they know who listens. They must ask a few people and extrapolate for the whole population.

Yes, that is correct - they ask a representative sample of the entire population. This is how all market research works.
    then I remembered.

back in the day when I listened to Radio Dublin, I was canvassed. Twice.

And I said I only listened to Radio Dublin. But get this, yer man had ticked off Radio2 already. So no wonder the figures for the likes of G Ryan are so high. It is my belief they are artificially inflated.

The research is carried out by an independent market research company TNS MRBI to a highest standard. They would have no vested interest in bumping up the figures for any station nor would any particual surveyer be able to influence the outcome of the survey.

The research collection form is quite extensive. It is quite possible that you were mistaken what the researcher wrote down or that survey was being conducted by another organisation. BTW, Radio Dublin would never have been a tickable option on a JNLR survey form. Finally, if it was the JNLR they would not have come back to you a second time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Irish Times had the Top 10...

Thinks to note from the article....

Drivetime regains the evening crown.
    Gerry Ryan further widens a sizable gap between himself and Ray D'arcy.
    Newstalk is bigger than Today FM in Dublin.
    Tubridy's audience has shrank for 3 surveys running, and has fallen 2 places in the Top 10.

And last but by no means least, Larry Gogan still does it, up 8,000 on Saturdays and 13,000 on Sundays. Just proves, stick him anywhere, and listenership goes up.
    Morning Ireland		Radio 1 	437,000	+  7,000
    Liveline		Radio 1		363,000	+  1,000
    Gerry Ryan		2FM		342,000	+ 14,000	
    Marian Finucane (Sat) 	Radio 1		309,000	+  7,000							
    News At One		Radio 1		307,000	+  8,000
    The Tubridy Show	Radio 1		306,000	-  4,000
    Today With Pat Kenny	Radio 1 	278,000	-  6,000
    Playback		Radio 1		255,000	-  2,000
    Marian Finucane (Sun) 	Radio 1		253,000	+ 18,000
    Ray D'arcy		Today FM	252,000	+  3,000

Selected Others

Eamon Dunphy		Radio 1		239,000	+-
    Drivetime		Radio 1		223,000	+ 16,000
    The Last Word		Today FM	220,000	+  5,000
    George Hook		Newstalk	 97,000	+  3,000

Hmmm RTE still needs to keep thinking about Drivetime, that its back above The Last Word by 3,000 is nothing to shout about (if they are shouting that is).

That Gerry Ryan is up by 14k is alarming frankly.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

mike65 wrote: »
    That Gerry Ryan is up by 14k is alarming frankly.

Mike.

Not really.. have found myself sticking to 2fm after Colm and Jimbo. Ray Darcy has become a bit of a PIA. With GR you know what your getting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Bondvillain

bbability wrote: »
    With GR you know what your getting.

Aye. In my case, I’ll be getting a couple of cds to put into the multichanger in the office. :D

Mid morning radio is, IMO, horrendous .

Between Darcy's daily pontificating live from his ringpiece pulpit, Ryan growling & groaning about models and periods and knickers like a scabby Alco slumped at a bus stop outside a Longford off-licence, Radio 1 and Newstalk reading the Irish Times out loud to me for 2 hours in a 'fingernails down blackboard' fashion, and sundry local stations yammering on about bin charges, lambing season, dysfunctional local headbangers, currany cakes, pedrophiles and any other ould shyte they can yap about for 3 hours in comedy accents, I’ve given up.

I'll take a couple of CD's over that selection any day, ta very much...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 340 ✭✭RadioCity

Mid morning radio is, IMO, horrendous

Very, very true, if like me you switch on national radio for music rather than inane wittering.

Outside Dublin, the local stations are all providing their obligatory local nonsense too. Its always pleasing to get near Dublin where one can listen to a selection of music stations on FM/DAB for a change. :)

Newstalks breakfast show although gaining 4,000 is still only 57,000 or so listenership that seems very very low for a national breakfast show, most other radio stations their breakfast shows have most listeners and are money makers and drive their stations output, this must be worrying for the newstalk management a personal change may be on the way.

RadioCity wrote: »
    Outside Dublin, the local stations are all providing their obligatory local nonsense too.

Those nonsense programmes are the most popular on local radio - if you want to know whats happening they are your only man!

Mike.

Advertisement