Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Business lecturers

Options
  • 20-02-2008 2:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,404 ✭✭✭

What is it with giving the most difficult subjects to lecturer`s who can`t speak efficiently fluent English?
    Its so frustrating that for Aspects of Financial theory and other subjects that we have oriental lecturers.
    I have no doubts whatsoever of their credentials, and qualifications and they are indeed very able to teach, but their accents make them so hard to understand, it pretty much reneges their ability to teach!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Umaro

Yeah it's pretty ridiculous. I've had several Commerce lecturers that have had such poor English that most people ended up skipping their classes.

Also, in final year you'll get grouped up with exchange students who have incredibly poor English for class projects that will account for 30-40% of your final grade. So you have that to look forward to now as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭t_ucd

This came up in pretty much all of the consultative forums last semester - I think they're going to change it for next year but said they didn't have the time to do anything about it this time. I agree it's ridiculous though, surely they should have realised that some lecturers' English just isn't up to scratch before giving them the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

I never had lecturers with bad English but I had some woeful tutors. They could write English but they just couldn't pronounce it. It's awful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭redcar

Yeah it's pretty ridiculous. I've had several Commerce lecturers that have had such poor English that most people ended up skipping their classes.

Same thing happened me last semester. Didn't go for about 7 weeks because I couldn't understand her, so was a waste turning up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭Intel

What is it with giving the most difficult subjects to lecturer`s who can`t speak efficiently fluent English?
    Its so frustrating that for Aspects of Financial theory and other subjects that we have oriental lecturers.
    I have no doubts whatsoever of their credentials, and qualifications and they are indeed very able to teach, but their accents make them so hard to understand, it pretty much reneges their ability to teach!

Would you be able to do better job?

If yes, why not get a book from the library and teach yourself?

If no, why not stop complaining?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭t_ucd

Intel wrote: »

I don't think it's unreasonable to expect a lecturer to be able to communicate properly with his/her students. I don't necessarily think it's the lecturer's fault, but surely someone from the school should have realised that maybe the lecturer is a bit hard to understand, especially when they're lecturing in a subject like Finance.

Even if students could teach themselves a final year Finance course, the point is that maybe if the school paid more attention to their recruitment, students wouldn't have this problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

This is retarded. He attends this college for educational purposes and expects to be educated. This is obviously a widespread problem. A lecturers job is to help students understand the course content. If he/she can't speak the language we are using fluently surely this seriously hampers their ability to do the job they were hired for.

Don't be an idiot Intel.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,053 ✭✭✭BKtje

While i agree with you that you should be able to expect your lecturer to communicate with you in a clear and precise manor, what i dont agree with is
    ..most difficult? Says who? ;)

I got someone for a maths subject and i cant tell half the time what letter she just wrote!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭breadmonkey

This is retarded. He attends this college for educational purposes and expects to be educated. This is obviously a widespread problem. A lecturers job is to help students understand the course content. If he/she can't speak the language we are using fluently surely this seriously hampers their ability to do the job they were hired for.

Don't be an idiot Intel.

+1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Stepherunie

If a lecturer respects there position they would actually care about whether or not a student could hear or understand them.

I know in first year our class had a problem with hearing one of our lecturers and approached her about it and she was really nice. She got a mic and would stop every so often to make sure we all got what she said and would give us fortnightly questionnaires to make sure everything was okay.

Intel you say that person should just go off and learn it themselves, well that's not good enough, I mean that lecturer is getting paid a substantial salary to teach, not to stand there and have no one able to understand them.

Some people learn better from lectures than study too so that's disadvantaging them and don't even get me started on those who may actually have learning disabilities.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Gandalf23

Don't be an idiot Intel.

+2

My point is

1. Being a native speaker of English does not automatically mean that you will be a terrific lecturer.
    They of course need to have a certain level of English and obviously they passed that level. So I don't think it's fair to knock them down because their English is bad as some of my lecturers are not the best and their native language is English.

2. The lecturer can only do so much, they can't learn for you. You are the student and you are in control of your learning. So ask the lecturer to go into more detail for you or to expand.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭mloc

1. Being a native speaker of English does not automatically mean that you will be a terrific lecturer.
    They of course need to have a certain level of English and obviously they passed that level. So I don't think it's fair to knock them down because their English is bad as some of my lecturers are not the best and their native language is English.

What an absolutely stupid argument; its ok to be a poor lecturer if you have bad English because some of your lecturers have good English but aren't good lecturers?

By the same logic why don't we just accept the lowest common denominator in every lecturer, if one is **** then sure they should all just be ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

2. The lecturer can only do so much, they can't learn for you. You are the student and you are in control of your learning. So ask the lecturer to go into more detail for you or to expand.

I'm not sure getting the lecturer to expand on the topic will achieve much if no one can understand what they're saying to begin with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 950 ✭✭✭EamonnKeane

Don't sue a doctor for malpractice while you're at it; I mean, it's not as if you could do a better kidney transplant.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,404 ✭✭✭Goodluck2me

No.
    I paid enough money to go here, I expect an education to go with it. If I bought a cinema ticket I`d expect to be allowed to see the film...
    I lol`d. If i didnt complain about it, how would it be fixed?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

Its like sitting beside a donegal man for hours at a poker table - impossible to understand. Might be talking sense but impossible to understand.

meh...don't have the energy to argue with you all

But basically, People who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭breadmonkey

meh...don't have the energy to argue with you all

But basically, People who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

In fairness Intel, I don't think that proverb really holds here for reasons already outlined.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

Anyone whose been in commerce will have experienced at times the delights of a lecturer not fully versed in the subtleties of the English language. Or, to put it another way, people who don't know enough English to hold a meaningful conversation.

It's a fairly aggravating position to find oneself in as a student, given that we've got little recourse in terms of complaining, and any solutions will inevitably be introduced at a date to late to benefit us...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭redcar

Its very hard when it happens because your stuck between a rock and hard place really. On one side you cant understand what they are saying and on the other you cant go up and say "listen I cant understand you, could you do something about it?!".

It is very frustrating, but just have to make best of a bad situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Donald-Duck

Intel is surely just looking for a reaction, and is not actually that retarded.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

My point is

1. No one said anything about anyone being a terrific lecturer but it definitely holds true that if they can speak english and we can understand them they will be an infinitely better lecturer than a person with superb presence and ability to hold attention but cant speak a bloody word of english. Havin a "certain level" of english may cut it, but irt SHOULDN'T.

2. True they can only do so much, they should do what they were hired for. Teach us the course content. If they can't speak the language we are using well then they are not teaching us the course and not doing "so much".

But meh, people who live in retarded houses shouldnt throw retarded arguments.

Advertisement