Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can anyone recommend a good book or short course??

Options
  • 20-02-2008 2:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

:rolleyes: I'm totally new to Home recording and was lucky enough to get a zoom h4 from Santa.(The Zoom h4 is a little 4 track field recorder) The zoom h4 is easy enough (although fiddly to use) and Ive got some nice results with it.

However I havn't a clue when it comes to putting it on the computer and spiceing it up a bit. It comes with Cubase and i also have access to cooledit.

I just want to record some MP3 to put on myspace nothing too ambitous.

Can anyone recommend a short course (not too expensive) or good book that gives you step by step easy instructions?

Thanks! Denise

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 smurfrockstar

Denise?? You wouldn't happen to be a jazz singer would you??

Anyway when I started off my whole recording thing I searched through a lot of stuff on mixing and stuff on the net. I never took a course or read a book on it. There's some excellent forums out there (including this one) and some excellent articles that you can find on all of the above!!! Give google a search and you should come up with a hell of a lot of info or ask questions on forums like this. Usually on recording forums everyone is extremely helpful!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

The Very Handsome and Talented StudioRat (Dave) is a Teacher/Producer/Engineer par excellence, having worked with Bob Dylan, Bryan Adams and Aslan for example. Catch him here or at http://www.virtustudios.ie/ .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Welcome to the forum (and to the world of recording).

I could be wrong but I doubt there are any courses around which would focus on Cubase LE (which is what is included with your Zoom, its a cut down version of Cubase). Edit: Paul might have just proven me wrong Cubase is powerful application but has a steep learning curve and it can take a while to get your head around all the features.

As well as being a field recorder your Zoom H4 doubles as an audio interface. This basically means that it functions as a soundcard when plugged into your computer via USB, so you can record directly to Cubase with the in-build mics or via other mics plugged into the Zoom.

I'd suggest that you start off by learning how the audio interface aspect of the Zoom works. Install all the drivers etc that are included on your computer and plug it in via USB. Fire up Cubase LE, open an empty project and add an audio track. From the Inputs menu to the left of the screen, select one of the Zoom inputs. Arm the track (by clicking the record icon associated with the track so it turns red), hit Record and see if you are getting any sounds. Maybe my explanation is flawed/rushed but your hardware probably includes some sort of "getting started" guide.

Some questions:
    - What sort of instruments will you be recording? (eg voice, voice and guitar, a full band)
    - Do you have a budget to buy additional equipment? You will probably want to buy another mic soon, plus associated leads/stands etc.

Good luck with getting to grips with Cubase, stick with it and once you have the basics down you'll be flying. Feel free to come back with any questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Ladysingsdablus

Thank you Corn BB for your welcome!;)

I have recorded on the 4 track mode (using a backing track and vocals only) but not using the device as a sound card direct to the computer so I'll try that out and also maybe buy a book on Cubase??

I will have vocals, guitar and piano maybe. I play ok but not at performance level but I may just about pull off a recording!! I havn't got another mike but would buy one if it's better then what I have (the internal mike on the Zoom).

Paul, Studiorat looks very good and i'll look into the courses.

smurfrockstar I try to sing Jazz!..My name is more a tribute to the great Billie H rather then a statement of my ability:D

I really want to sing with other (and better )musicians but want to get some voice samples together so I don't waste anyones time.

Thanks for the response guys
    Denise

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

I once had a book on Cubase, it was quite good but its in my parents' attic now so I'm wracking my brains trying to think of what it was called...

Anyway... your first steps will need to be to learn how to set up your equipment (Zoom and PC running cubase) and get something recorded.

After that you'll be learning all the techniques of the process (i.e. how to make a good recording, as opposed to any old recording).

I'll get back to you if I think of the name of that book...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭ICN

Obviously its a bit away from your style - but the Dance Music Bible by Rick Snoman is fantastic. Its a in-depth (but not too techy) guide to everything to with Recording Vocals / Instruments / Making beats / Mastering / EQ'ing etc..

I found it really good - just as a reference. It has a lot of good advice no matter what style of music you are making. It just explains the fundamentals really well.. That's all I was looking for.

I used to use Cubase.. but have Logic now.

Think I have a couple of books.. I'll never use them again.. You can have them if you want.

However - They're not about the art of home recording. They are more like a user manual.. Quite technical and certainly didn't help to demystify anything for me at the time.

If its all new to you, you should try and get a quck run through with someone. You'll learn more that way I think at the beginning.. But if you're interested in the theory or whatever, there are some good books with reviews (new & 2nd hand) to be found on Amazon.

The basics of Cubase will be the same - cant remember what version they are for.. Maybe SX. But let me know if you are interested - I can post them to you.

I'd rather someone get some use out of them. Have to recycle!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Ladysingsdablus

ICN Thank you so much for your information and kind offer of the books!!

ICN Thank you so much for your information and kind offer of the books!!

Its got aan alright glossary section in it which explains a lot of basic terms etc..

But you might be better off with something a bit more up to date, or something which takes in a little bit of theory.

If you want it PM me your details.. No probs.

Advertisement