Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gravity Lamp - 200 Years with no recharge or power cords.

• 20-02-2008 3:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭

Linky... http://dvice.com/archives/2008/02/gravity_lamp_la.php

"A Virginia Tech student has won the Greener Gadget Award for a clever LED lamp that gets all of its power from gravity, which is a seriously renewable resource. Working kind of like a grandfather clock that needs to be wound in order to work, the lamp has a weight that's raised up every day. As the day goes on, it slowly lowers, with that movement powering the LEDs.
    Dubbed the Gravia, the lamp will stand about four feet tall. Encased in glass, the entire thing is lit with a soft, diffuse glow that comes from the 10 built-in LEDs. Because it's self sufficient, there are no cables or cords to worry about, so you can place it anywhere. The best part? It'll last for 200 years if used 8 hours a day, 365 days a year. You'll never buy another lamp again; it doesn't get much more green than that."

I thought that was pretty kool. I hope theys something that gets marketed soon but hopefully they mark up on them wont be too high. Definatly something i would love to get my hands on. Would be very popular for companys and building that are being renovated, even if it costs to install we are talking no lighting bills.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Sounds expensive, looks ridiculous.

How many 4 foot tall lamps do you need in your house to light the place?!
    It will last 200 years, but I won't, what good is that?!

:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

Read the comments, some of them are good.
    As one poster pointed out, it isn't gravity powered, it is powered by stored kinetic power.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

It's a grandfather clock except with LED's instead of a clock.
    Cool idea, dunno if it'd ever take off, mainly because people would whine about having to wind it up every day.

Still, fair play to the lad that came up with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

User45701 wrote: »
    Would be very popular for companys and building that are being renovated, even if it costs to install we are talking no lighting bills.
    Yeah, my building is fully installed with hundreds of grandfather clocks, saving a fortune.

There are millions of energy scam inventions out there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,182 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

If youre an Eco-warrior though its perfect. Still I'd just go ahead and use solar panels.

Lifehacker.com had a good one about a ventilated fridge - why spend ESB powering youre fridge when its this ****ing cold outside?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭Don1

If it's stored kinetic energy that means you provide the energy to power it by raising the weight to a height.
    By that thinking then the energy effectively comes from the food you eat.

It basically boils down at the end of the day to which is cheaper, electrically powered lighting or the food used to replace the energy you use lifting the damn weight every day.

When you factor in the inefficiency of the average human diet/energy system I reckon the electricity would just nudge it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭the dee

Don1 wrote: »
    If it's stored kinetic energy that means you provide the energy to power it by raising the weight to a height.

It basically boils down at the end of the day to which is cheaper, electrically powered lighting or the food used to replace the energy you use lifting the damn weight every day.

When you factor in the inefficiency of the average human diet/energy system I reckon the electricity would just nudge it!

Perhaps, but the human body releases far fewer greenhouse gases and chemicals into the atmosphere than a power plant does.

We're too depenant on electricity these days. And too lazy to accept alternatives.

Kinetic energy ftw!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭Don1

the dee wrote: »
    Perhaps, but the human body releases far fewer greenhouse gases and chemicals into the atmosphere than a power plant does.

We're too depenant on electricity these days. And too lazy to accept alternatives.

Kinetic energy ftw!

But we do produce a fair bit of ass gasses! :D

Electricity could be from solar or other renewable sources.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

If only someone could invent a way that you didn't have to lift the weight once a day. A rotating magnet perhaps?

seamus wrote: »
    If only someone could invent a way that you didn't have to lift the weight once a day. A rotating magnet perhaps?

Dear god! Are people really too lazy to lift a weight up once a day? It'd be good exercise at least. ;)

• Advertisement

Overheal wrote: »
    If youre an Eco-warrior though its perfect. Still I'd just go ahead and use solar panels.
    A true eco-warrior would live in the dark. A lot of energy is going to be used to manufacture this device.
    By that thinking then the energy effectively comes from the food you eat..
    Yep people in gyms are wasting energy. People who use the stairs while an escaltor is beside it are not wasting energy- the escalator will run regardless.

Dear god! Are people really too lazy to lift a weight up once a day? It'd be good exercise at least. ;)
    It just means that it's good as a conversation starter, but useless for practical purposes (except as a house lamp). You couldn't use it as a torch, for example.

rubadub wrote: »

Yep people in gyms are wasting energy. People who use the stairs while an escaltor is beside it are not wasting energy- the escalator will run regardless.

Saw some cool escalators in Gatwick airport recently. They go really really slow when no one's on them and speed up when you step on them! Mmmm energy saving....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭nmk

Overheal wrote: »
    Solar panels heat your water, they don't give light :) I think we'll have to get creative with our energy usage in order to preserve what resources the world has left. It's a great idea if it's commercially viable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

Saw some cool escalators in Gatwick airport recently. They go really really slow when no one's on them and speed up when you step on them! Mmmm energy saving....
    They have those in Dublin airport aswell.

We waste a huge amount of energy as human beings every day. I think some of this wasted energy could be used for the lamp instead. Yes, it does use your own energy to power it but I doubt you would notice.

Energy is never wasted, only changed into different forms.

Energy is never wasted, only changed into different forms.
    I think you mean Energy cannot be destroyed but only changed into different forms. Energy can be wasted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,460 ✭✭✭Blisterman

But the average person eats far more food, than they really need to. Why do you think there's an obesity epidemic.
    This light would just help shift some of that stored energy from their ass.

We need to invest in clean and renewable energy and we need to do it now. No more laziness and complacency! It will work out much cheaper in the long run, even if it is inconvenient for some.

axer wrote: »
    I think you mean Energy cannot be destroyed but only changed into different forms. Energy can be wasted.

Exactly. Like the lads who will drive 2 miles to a gym, do 4 miles on a treadmill and drive 2miles home again.

• Advertisement

axer wrote: »
    But "waste" would imply that it's destroyed or consumed. And as you point out, it can't be destroyed.

Actually I think that if we could work on using the energy as it changes into different forms, "chaining" each form as it were, we could dramatically reduce our need to generate it from stored energy types such as fossil fuel.

To take a stupid and pointless example - imagine a lamp. It converts the electirc energy into electromagnetic energy (light). If we could then convert this light into another form of energy (say back to electricity - solarish panels), we wouldn't necessarily be able to convert all of the light into another form, but perhaps enough to use in other respects, reducing our need.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

rubadub wrote: »
    Exactly. Like the lads who will drive 2 miles to a gym, do 4 miles on a treadmill and drive 2miles home again.
    And a bloody electric treadmill to boot :mad: Damn spandex wearing cnuts!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

We need to invest in clean and renewable energy and we need to do it now. No more laziness and complacency! It will work out much cheaper in the long run, even if it is inconvenient for some.

What we really need to do is reduce the amount of energy we use on pointless things. e.g. stand-by mode on tvs, completely pointless waste of energy and should be gotten rid of. Houses should also be designed to use energy alot better. Better insulation and things like that.

But "waste" would imply that it's destroyed or consumed. And as you point out, it can't be destroyed.
    Nope it means "spend thoughtlessly; throw away" or "Use inefficiently or inappropriately;".

Efficent use of energy is the most important thing to get right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

I'd like to see how much light it emits. Feck all I'd say.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

How do they work out the 200 years ?

are they just working from a derating of the 50,000 hour life of the LED's ?

For a real clock how about this http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,789165,00.html
    the needle on one dial, which records the precession (slow conical wobbling) of Earth's axis, will take 26.000 years to complete one revolution.
    it's the worlds slowest moving part

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Gravity Lamp - 200 Years with no recharge or power cords.
    To me, having to lift it is recharging it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

200 years @ 8 hours a day.

66 years in reality, which means all you health freaks will have to buy a new one.

There's not a hope in hell of me living to the grand old age of 98.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

why would you have it on ALL the time?
    Sounds pretty cool.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

How do you turn it off?

Goddamnit Tar, don't do that!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

snap!

I imagine you lower the weight.

I dunno, sounds like an awful lot of work just to save the planet. Next!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

I'd buy one if it costs less than a tenner

why would you have it on ALL the time?
    Sounds pretty cool.
    I sit in my sitting room all day with the curtains closed.
    It's bad for your eyes to watch tv or look at a monitor with no lights on.

• Advertisement

Open the curtains.

Just attach a rope and a ratchet system to the fridge door, it'll always be raised!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

fatties ftw

Earthhorse wrote: »
    Open the curtains.
    I'm not fond of natural light.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭ec18

Aren't clocks supposed to work 24 hours a day...not 8.....so it really only lasts 66 years

• Advertisement

ec18 wrote: »
    Aren't clocks supposed to work 24 hours a day...not 8.....so it really only lasts 66 years
    Yeah, but it's not a clock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭slipss

Coming up with all these new energy saving devices are a complete waste of time. Don't these university students read the news? Steorn have the whole energy problem wrapped up.

slipss wrote: »
    Steorn have the whole energy problem wrapped up.

In bubblewrap, and stored in the warehouse with all the other perpetual motion devices! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

Terry wrote: »
    200 years @ 8 hours a day.

66 years in reality, which means all you health freaks will have to buy a new one.

There's not a hope in hell of me living to the grand old age of 98.

You never know terry what with all the new medical tech that will be devised in the next few decades, and who knows they might be able to place your brain in the boards server! You could mod every single fourm/post in real time with 100% success rate. and you would have 1st post in ever new fourm!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

If it only gives light for 8 hours then use this, no weights or moving parts
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phosphor
    Calcium sulfide with strontium sulfide with bismuth as activator, (Ca,Sr)S:Bi, yields blue light with glow times up to 12 hours

Advertisement