Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice wanted for how to lay a path/base for shed

Options
  • 20-02-2008 3:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭

I want to build a path to a new shed that I'm also planning to build (a prefabricated concrete one).

There is muck there at the moment so do I have to dig this up or do I lay a base of 804 or hardcore down on top of this earth.

Then do I get a delivery of concrete and try to barrow it in before it sets (the proposed path is round the back of the house) or is there another way to get a load of concrete on site without it going off - someone mentioned readymix

Help!!!!!!

Please:D

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 509 ✭✭✭bertie1

Concrete pump hired out for the morning

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

No offence Dave, but if you really are the novice you sound, then better to get someone to do it for you. You wouldn't necessarily need a hard core base for the path, unless you plan to drive buses on it, but you would for the shed, six inches should be enough, Then you would need to compact the foundation and lay formwork for the base and path. It can be a bit complicated to get levels, square and run off, right. If you are going to use readymix you will need a team there to spread, level and float the concrete. Much better, if you plan to do it yourself or with a mate, to buy the dry materials and hire a mixer, then you can tackle it at your leisure and learn as you go along. I'd suggest you borrow a good DIY book from the library which will explain how to lay formwork and obtain correct levels and run off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭stapeler

I purchased one of these in the US a few years back, simple and easy to create garden paths.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

We're fed up calling guys to come and do the job for us - guess there too busy elsewhere so I decided to try to do it myself - I'm fairly handy and usually get things right at DIY. I watched the builder laying paths around the house and he put down 804, compacted it and then put in the formwork and then poured the concrete. Seemed easy enough. My only problem is that I'll have a fairly large area to concrete between the paths and the base of the shed so I was wondering how I'd get the concrete delivered and poured before it started to set.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭John mac

have a look at this site. very informative http://www.pavingexpert.com/home.htm

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

PD: do u really need the concrete path or would a gravel path do you. in this case dig out about 4-6 inches of muck and put down the 804, by the time u have the shed built the 804 will be well compacted and then u can put down the finished gravel, about an inch or so on a layer of matching blinding on top of the 804.

Edged with pressure treated 4*2 on edge would look v well

Re working the concrete, the floor of the shed will be the bigger issue due to the width of the screed and the sheer volume: you could rent a mini-dumper or what they call a muck-truck
    http://www.cphire.ie/index.php?type=2&groupid=7

If using it for the readymix, dont overfill it...

In passing, extract from the roadstone website:
    http://www.roadstone.ie/Products/Stone/Aggregates.htm

Granular Sub-Base Material
    Roadstone produces these materials to meet the requirements of the DOE specifications for Roadwork's

Clause 803 - Granular Materials Type A
    This is used in Housing Development 75mm Down
    Clause 804 - Granular Materials Type B
    This is used as a sub base for all types of Road works 75mm Down

Anybody know the difference beween 803 and 804, both are 75mm down

Advertisement