Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tyres

Options
  • 20-02-2008 3:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭

Hi,

I was hoping someone can shed some light on this....

I got new tyres for my '00 seat ibiza in November and while I was at it, i got the tracking and balancing done. I noticed this morning that both my front tyres are worn on the outside and have localised wear (pretty bald in places). I have done a fair amount of mileage on them, but I would have thought they'd last a bit longer. Is it just cheap tyres or could it be a bigger problem??

Any advice appreciated. Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

What tyres and how many miles?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭domania

Front or back tyre wear?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

The guys are probably about to tell you to get new front tyres again mainly because we're still not over the rough weather.

Even if there was a tracking problem related to hitting potholes or problems with suspension geometry due to wear in bushings you should confirm this by having the tracking checked with the new tyres.

If the tracking is ok, there's something else at fault- the tyre place should be able to advise you of the next steps. Don't dilly dally- there's no point in waiting until the tyres are down to the canvas to decide to pursue fixing a problem like this. You could end up shiny side down as a result of procrastination over changing tyres.

In a nutshell- nows the time to fix this one way or another. In for a penny, in for a pound- though it still might just be tracking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭domania

Seat's and VW's need Cambre ajustment. This can be around €130 to get done and only a few places can do it. I had to get it done after I replaced the shocks on the front of an Ibiza that I had. It's a pain in the arse as it too, along with tracking causes uneven tyre wear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭SMM

Thanks for the replies. I think I've put up about 5/6k miles on them and they cos about €60 each (I think!). Will probably get it checked out during the weekend just in case

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,502 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

5/6K miles on €60 tyres?

Not a huge amount of mileage, but depends on the tyres. What were they? Was the wear just on the front?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,357 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

they might have made a mistake with the alignment. A well known tyre company did 4 wheel alignment on a car I used to own and got it so wrong, it immediately chewed the rear tyres.

Advertisement