Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lion Bar = €1.05

124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Johnnio13

Centra/Spar = Robbin' bast&rds, but they provide a convienence for us fast-paced people and hence charge for it.

Also, I know 3 people that own Spar's and not one of them is destitute and struggling...in fact two of them clear over 6 figures a year.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭Dizzyblabla

Here, a Lion Bar costs about 15NOK at it's cheapest, if not 19NOK, so between €1.90 and €2.40 for ONE Lion Bar... count yourselves lucky...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,722 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Here, a Lion Bar costs about 15NOK at it's cheapest, if not 19NOK, so between €1.90 and €2.40 for ONE Lion Bar... count yourselves lucky...

Ah, the joys of Scandinavia. Dont even mention the price of cars or beer there. They make Cafe en seine and BMW Ireland look like registered charities

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

and this folks, is the reason shops are getting away with the prices they charge. There will always be someone who will pay the prices. For those prices I would expect my lunch to sing to me, seriously €4.50 for a ham and cheese sambo!! daylight robbery. How long does it take to make a sandwich the night before, shove it in the fridge and grab it as you are heading to work. People who are lazy like that deserve to be ripped off.

too true. you can buy a joint of ham that'd get ya 4 days worth of sandwiges for 4.50 (well you could in tescos, feckers seemed to have changed farmers. came in real handy when the SSIA started to bite)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

kawaii wrote: »
    Lol, there are about 20 londis shops on Dame Street.

Fish and chips in my local Beshoff's is over E10! The chips are muck aswell and the fish rather small. It's actually ridiculous. You'd do better going to a restaurant!

So much for "cheap as chips"...

ya see this is another thing. WTF happened to all the chippers?!

seriously theres fecking fast food restaurents and proper restaurents everywhere but if your on dames st where the hell can you go for a snack box/curry and chips/smoked cod and batter sausege/ quater pounder and onion rings. etc

as far as i know the ONLY chipper within walking distance of college green is del rios opposite the abbey theater!

and as mentioned the price! im going to caverys now in the pubs as its better food for only a little more cash. who ever thought a roast beef feed would be near the same price as a extra large bacon double cheeseburger meal in BK :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

Johnnio13 wrote: »
    Centra/Spar = Robbin' bast&rds, but they provide a convienence for us fast-paced people and hence charge for it.

Also, I know 3 people that own Spar's and not one of them is destitute and struggling...in fact two of them clear over 6 figures a year.....

bloody right !! i wil never go in to one!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

I remember i used to go into the shop with a pound and come out with Wham bars, roy of the rover bars, blackjack bars, bags of popcorn, hotlips and bikers and a few 10p bags.
    Now a euro wont even get you a lion bar:(

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 68,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Grid.

Is nothing sacred anymore:( , they've finally broken the last bastion of pleasure for the average joe:mad: I've a roaring sweet tooth to feed and it ails me to see such inhumanity!! I know i'm still stuck in the late 70's when it comes to prices(someone mentioned Tayto's at 12p), I use to buy broken kit-kat in a brown bag for 10p and a shop down the road used to sell halfpenny sweets!!

Those were very,very happy days! I used to chomp to my hearts delight!! Texan bars, teethbreakers, chocolate mice, space cadets, liquorice string, fizz-bombs, macaroon bars , fizzle sticks, all found a home in my belly!
    My dentist is givin me a hard time now, but i don't care!! :D

What can we do folks to stop this corruption and continue happy chomping??:confused:

Gridlock wrote: »
    Is nothing sacred anymore:( , they've finally broken the last bastion of pleasure for the average joe:mad: I've a roaring sweet tooth to feed and it ails me to see such inhumanity!! I know i'm still stuck in the late 70's when it comes to prices(someone mentioned Tayto's at 12p), I use to buy broken kit-kat in a brown bag for 10p and a shop down the road used to sell halfpenny sweets!!

Those were very,very happy days! I used to chomp to my hearts delight!! Texan bars, teethbreakers, chocolate mice, space cadets, liquorice string, fizz-bombs, macaroon bars , fizzle sticks, all found a home in my belly!
    My dentist is givin me a hard time now, but i don't care!! :D

What can we do folks to stop this corruption and continue happy chomping??:confused:

go to lidl/aldi?

Ah it's not the same, stuff there leaves a waxy after-taste in yer mouth!:(

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Rip off Ireland?? How about "price indiscriminate" Ireland? Not as catchy I guess.

I was charged 2.70 for a 750ml bottle of lucozade in TF:Castleknock last week. I nearly vomited in digust.

Double Deckers are 99c in Centra in the IFSC.

I buy the above items because I care more about having them than I do the extra 20c I might have in my pocket by getting something else.

However I draw the line at paying 1.79 for a 750ml bottle of water in Centra when I can walk out the door and turn left into M&S instead of right to Centra and get it for €1.

Wheres the Stay-Puft Marshmellow Man when ya need 'im???
    He'd kick their arse!!!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭billstraighten

Multipack Tayto bags are always smaller than individually sold ones, so by paying €1.15 you were doubly shafted.

My pet peeve is still the price of still water. Deep River Rock (perhaps the biggest misnomer of a name on the bottled water scene) is a scandalous €1.50 for a 500ml bottle. At least with Ballygowan or Volvic, you know it's somewhat natural. River Rock on the otherhand desn't come from a well, spring or river at all! It's simply tap water with a bit of filtering!

And what will annoy you even more is the fact that its the cheapes price (case wise) roughly, 8 euro before vat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 171 ✭✭Seonad

Why didn't you just get one in college? They're only ~80c in there...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭The Chessplayer

I was charged €1.05 for a Lion Bar today. I was shocked at the price, I can remember them at 50p or less.
    I was so surprised that I even asked the staff member sering me about it.
    I am never buying another Lion Bar.

That's madness, should only be 85 cent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 367 ✭✭Marz66

Was charged €1.05 for a Dairy Milk in Spar in Ballsbridge, should have expected it there really!

Didn't pay the €1.75 being demanded by Irish Rail for a Kit Kat though, not joking!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭pebbles21

to get good entertainment value from your overpriced lion bar !!!!

discreetly throw it into a swimming pool whilst on holidays and wait for the fun to begin:cool::D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Was ripped off at a new Centra branch at the former Barnhill Stores near Dalkey for 85c for a packet of Tatyo. I say Name and Shame.

From now on its going to be party packs from Dunnes & Tesco. The week after Easter I bought 20 Easter eggs for 90c each. Two bars in each, snickers, Yorky and Lion. They are all gone now :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

This is weird.

I had to buy a bar today (had exam and needed the energy) in the same Centra, and I thought of this thread. Even thought of resurrecting it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

When they up their prices for a bar from say 90cent to 105cent they look at the amount of sales and if sales dont drop much they leave the prices high. If people were as price sensitive here as in other countries prices would'nt rise as much. Yes prices have risen across world for chocolate,milk,wheat etc but this is the same in all countries yet prices are not rising by same amount in other countries.

Buy in bulk and throw snacks into your rucksack on way to work/town/college like we did in years gone by, that will learn them. It's the high cost of renting premises and doing business in this country that feeds into cost of goods. Now that times are tougher prices should fall or at least not rise much over next few years as customers will be watching the pennies more.

Advertisement