Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Mazda 3

Options
  • 20-02-2008 3:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭

I was thinking of getting a Mazda 3 for the girlfriend. Have about 15 k to spend. Probably 2005 model. And would prefer the saloon over the HB.

Any advice on this car...good points/bad points appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Depends on her requirements. What's her usage/ annual mileage? Does it really suit her needs or is it something that must feel cheap to run??

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭steps_3314

cantdecide wrote: »
    Depends on her requirements. What's her usage/ annual mileage? Does it really suit her needs or is it something that must feel cheap to run??

She does a fair bit of mileage going to work and other destinations i suppose. At the moment she has a 1.6 focus which is heavy on fuel. but i suppose these days fuel is expensive anyway so are there any cars out there that are more economical. cant seem to find any diesels out there for that kind of money

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

You know the Mazda is based on the Focus; built on the same chassis; shares the same driving dynamics. Not sure which engines are shared but if you're in the market for a 1.6 I doubt you'll see a real change in running costs.

I had one as a long term hire in the states a few years ago & couldn't fault it. Though I suspect that that was a 2.0L

cjt156 wrote: »
    You know the Mazda is based on the Focus; built on the same chassis; shares the same driving dynamics. Not sure which engines are shared but if you're in the market for a 1.6 I doubt you'll see a real change in running costs.

I had one as a long term hire in the states a few years ago & couldn't fault it. Though I suspect that that was a 2.0L

I think the most important aspect of buying a new car now for us is the style and appearance and we really like the shape of the mazda. Fule wise, well i reckon most 1.6 cars will be in and around the same.I have heard some good reviews about.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

steps_3314 wrote: »
    cant seem to find any diesels out there for that kind of money

At the moment, diesels are not really viable for anyone doing less than 15k a year unless you belong to the 'I'd pay an arm and a leg for an economical car' brigade. If your has a car that does 35mpg and does 15k a year, her fuel bill is approximately €1950. If she got a car that does 40mpg she'll pay €1700.

That's a saving of €250 per year, for maybe 3 years thats a saving of €750 in 3 years for cars that a lot of people would say are on either edge of what would be 'economical' petrol cars that are still 'proper' cars.

My point- unless you're going from a supermini to a barge- fuel cost is fuel cost and in your case, if it makes that much difference- spend €14k on a 35mpg car and spend the rest down the pub. If she is in the car quite a bit, she'll need something more comfortable than a Mazda 3.

Assuming she has no specific needs or wishes, here's a 35mpg saloon car for €14k that not only looks cheap, it IS cheap and probably has a decent warranty http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=912054

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Mazda 3 also came in 1.6 turbo diesel but they are rare enough. The 1.6 diesel is made by PSA (Peugeot/Citroen) and is also found in the Ford Focus, Volvo S40 and various Peugeot/Citroen cars. I've a 05 Focus with this engine for the last six months and cannot fault it.

If going for a Mazda 3 try and get the Touring model, it has alot of nice toys such as air con, multi-function steering wheel, etc that the basic Comfort model doesn't have.

cantdecide wrote: »
    At the moment, diesels are not really viable for anyone doing less than 15k a year unless you belong to the 'I'd pay an arm and a leg for an economical car' brigade. If your has a car that does 35mpg and does 15k a year, her fuel bill is approximately €1950. If she got a car that does 40mpg she'll pay €1700.

That's a saving of €250 per year, for maybe 3 years thats a saving of €750 in 3 years for cars that a lot of people would say are on either edge of what would be 'economical' petrol cars that are still 'proper' cars.

My point- unless you're going from a supermini to a barge- fuel cost is fuel cost and in your case, if it makes that much difference- spend €14k on a 35mpg car and spend the rest down the pub. If she is in the car quite a bit, she'll need something more comfortable than a Mazda 3.

Assuming she has no specific needs or wishes, here's a 35mpg saloon car for €14k that not only looks cheap, it IS cheap and probably has a decent warranty http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=912054

funny that cause she likes the focus also. was trying to keep engine as low as possible for tax reasons but i suppose theres not much of a difference between two. that car you linked is beautiful and mondeos have a great reputation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

The 1.6 diesel in the 3 only came out in late 2005. One of my mates got one new and the insurance company tried to tell him they didn't exist!
    The diesel would be a better bet than the petrol if you can get one for a good price, otherwise as cantdecide said the petrol will be the best deal.
    I'd sooner a 3 saloon over a Mondeo though, unless space is a must. By a long way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭bogman

Had one, lovely car, best I ever had but 30-35mpg max

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭keitht

I have a mazda 3 saloon 08. and my bro has 06 hb.
    we think they are great cars cant fault them at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

I've a hatch, think it's great. My only issue would be that the 1.4 engine is too small, but I reckon the 1.6 would be fine. Ideally the 1.6 hdci.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

Have driven a couple of thousand miles in a 1.4 hb 3. Great to drive - Mazdas, even bread-and-butter ones, are really nice to drive - handling, roadholding etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,563 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

The wife has one - really nice car to drive. Only thing - get the 1.6 (in Touring or higher spec) as the 1.4 is a bit too underpowered.

The wife has one - really nice car to drive. Only thing - get the 1.6 (in Touring or higher spec) as the 1.4 is a bit too underpowered.

great help there people.

mind is pretty much made up.

Mazda 3 1.6 Touring

there seems to be quite a few on the net

The saloon (nicer looking than the hatchback imo) is only available in 1.6 litre petrol and diesel. The hatchback is only available in 1.4 litre.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

bazz26 wrote: »
    The saloon (nicer looking than the hatchback imo)
    as a hatch owner I agree.
    The hatchback is only available in 1.4 litre.
    no - it's available in 1.4, 1.6 and 2.3 petrol, and 1.6 diesel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

deRanged wrote: »
    as a hatch owner I agree.

no - it's available in 1.4, 1.6 and 2.3 petrol, and 1.6 diesel.

He may have meant that the 1.4 is only available in the hatch I'm thinking!

Biro wrote: »
    He may have meant that the 1.4 is only available in the hatch I'm thinking!

Yes that is what I really meant to say.

Advertisement