Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ladies, I need your assistance - Upcoming Anniversary

Options
  • 20-02-2008 3:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭

Ladies,

Forgive me intruding on your space, but I need some assistance.

It's my fifth wedding anniversary coming up & I have no clue what to do. In previous years I've raised the bar somewhat, (organised with her boss for her to have time off, then picked up from work & off to 5* restaurant for lunch followed by shopping or off to NYC for a week, jewelery etc.), however, this year I'm somewhat at a loss. My circumstances are also changed this year, I have a lot of personal debt, which I'm hoping to clear, but realistically won't be able to.

I was considering an overnight in London & a show (maybe Dirty Dancing), but that's coming in at around €500 which is very much over what I can currently afford.

Any and all suggestions would be appreciated greatly

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Weekend away down the country in a nice little place?

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

If you end up in London, I recommend the London eye, at dusk. I think they can organise champagne etc as well. Hugely romantic! And it wont put too much more of a dent in your budget.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,356 ✭✭✭Donegal Lass

you dont have to spend over the odds to make something special. Why dont you cook her a nice meal or completely dedicate a night at home to things that she loves? decorate your bedroom with roses and candles, have her favourie drinks, chocolates, food, dvd or cds all at hand. She will love you for the thought and probably appreciate it more because you put more effort into it than booking a flight here or there?

If she is the type that like to be wined and dined then book some cheap flights, book dinner and a hotel for one night and back the next day, just so she can say "oh my husband flew me to rome/paris/prague/liverpool/london etc for dinner last night for our anniversary"..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

you dont have to spend over the odds to make something special. Why dont you cook her a nice meal or completely dedicate a night at home to things that she loves? decorate your bedroom with roses and candles, have her favourie drinks, chocolates, food, dvd or cds all at hand. She will love you for the thought and probably appreciate it more because you put more effort into it than booking a flight here or there?

If she is the type that like to be wined and dined then book some cheap flights, book dinner and a hotel for one night and back the next day, just so she can say "oh my husband flew me to rome/paris/prague/liverpool/london etc for dinner last night for our anniversary"..

Would have to agree with this, while you can't afford extravagence make up for it with effort and attention to detail (her favourite music, her favourite foods, etc...). As your wife I would hope that she is aware of your financial situation and will appreciate that you can't blow the bank on her at this moment in time. Making her feel appreciated doesn't necessarily require buying her expensive things.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

Hey, why don't you plan a quiet weekend at home? On Friday, pick up all her favourite movies, dinners, wine e.t.c maybe some lingerie and perfume and oils... Basically a weekend at home alone (assuming you have kids) and pamper her (massages, wait on her)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭cuckoo

MIN2511 wrote: »
    Hey, why don't you plan a quiet weekend at home? On Friday, pick up all her favourite movies, dinners, wine e.t.c maybe some lingerie and perfume and oils... Basically a weekend at home alone (assuming you have kids) and pamper her (massages, wait on her)

+1.

And, if you're in Dublin you could go to the zoo. If she has a favourite animal you could see if you could 'adopt' one for her.

I think the 5th anniversary traditional gift is wood, maybe plant a tree together/sponsor some rainforest?

Tbh, airports are so stressful these days with the security stuff, and the air traffic controllers' industrial problems at the moment mean that booking flights somewhere could be less than relaxing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭iMax

Thanks for the input so far ladies, to be honest, if we were going to go away it would be out of the country. I'm not the most romantic guy in the world (don't do flowers much), so on Birthdays/Anniversaries/Christmas I love to make the grand gesture.

Only want to be away on an overnight though as we have a three year old who we hate leaving.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭mollybird

well yes i do feel you do not have to spend all the money in the world to do something nice for your wife. my boyfriend went all out for me for vday broght me away to a 5 star hotel for the weekend and had flowers, champagne and strawberries in the suite waiting for me. now he is trying to save for a deposit and months rent for a new place as he is moving next month. he didn't have that kinda money to spending on me. i know he is trying to save as your wife would know that you are trying to clear a debt and she would complety understand if you went a little low key but put alot of thought into the things she likes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭SarahSassy

cuckoo wrote: »
    +1.

I think the 5th anniversary traditional gift is wood, maybe plant a tree together/sponsor some rainforest?

Oops cuckoo got there first. There you go - its a double good idea :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭SarahSassy

I think its your 'wood' anniversary so do something along that theme - it would show her you have put a lot of thought into it... Have no imaginative suggestions for you though....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

SarahSassy wrote: »
    I think its your 'wood' anniversary so do something along that theme -.

Wake her up in the morning with it? :)

EDIT: Don't do that....

I was going to say that there's a very good chance some wood will be planted that day but I've been beaten to it !

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭DetectivFoxtrot

MIN2511 wrote: »

JAYSUS, READING THIS MAKES ME WISH IT WAS MY ANNIVERSARY! I WANT THIS! BEATS TRIPS OR PRESSIES ANY DAY! ;) best of luck with it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LB6

If I could make a suggestion - I was just thinking I'd love a couple of days in a Spa.

I'd suggest Powerscourt in Wicklow for a weekend. I was there few yrs back for 4 days - wont ever forget it - pampered and fed. The food was to die for.

She'd love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Jules

I don't know what all the fuss about going away is, why not do what is suggested. Ask someone Parents/family to take your little one for a evening/night.. take a few hours of work. When she comes home have the place tidy, and a bottle of champers on ice, cook for her and just spend some time together. Im sure with a 3 year old you dont get much quality time so enjoy it, as as already said she sould understand the financial situatiuon.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

iMax wrote: »
    if we were going to go away it would be out of the country.

Why must it be though?
    We have some really wonderful little places down the country with breath taking scenery. Sometimes we forget that in our rush to go abroad.

We always look at it from the point that we live here, we can see this stuff any time, plus if I'm being honest, value for money isn't great in Irish hotels/B&Bs etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

Hot air balloon ride, and champagne picnic, will set you back about €250 I would imagine..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,356 ✭✭✭Donegal Lass

well... what did you decide on?

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭JackieO

I'm heading to paris at the end of march and we are getting flights and hotel for around €200 each. paris would also be much cheaper than london for spending tiem in!

• Advertisement
Advertisement