Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Total Lunar Eclipse Tonight

• 20-02-2008 4:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭

Not only is it a Wednesday which causes ALL the crazy to come out but there is also a total lunar Eclipse......

A total eclipse of the moon tonight is expected to delight skywatchers across the United States and much of the world.

It will be the last total lunar eclipse until 2010.

http://www.livescience.com/space/scienceastronomy/080220-eclipse-news.html

The eclipse begins at 12:35am on the morning of the 21st. (night of 20th/21th). This is the time when the Moon enters the penumbral shadow. Shortly afterwards the lower left of the Moon begins to noticeably darken. The Moon then enters the umbral shadow at 1:43am. The eclipse progresses until exactly 3:00am. At this time the Moon is completely inside the umbral shadow and the total phase of this eclipse begins. 'Totality' continues for some 51 minutes until the Moon begins to emerge from the umbra at 3:51am. Mid eclipse occurs at 3:26am. The Moon is now as dark as it will get. At 5:09am the Moon has now left the umbra and the eclipse ends at 6:17am just as twilight is breaking.

http://www.astronomy.ie/eclipse08.html

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Damn, now I have that "Total eclipse of my heart" going in my head.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭the dee

Will you be able to see it from Ireland? The article only says US.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

Yes,

The 2nd half of my post is from an Irish site....
    The eclipse begins at 12:35am on the morning of the 21st. (night of 20th/21th).
    the dee wrote: »
    Will you be able to see it from Ireland? The article only says US.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

It will be the last total lunar eclipse until 2010.

That's only two years away. It's not that big a deal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,179 ✭✭✭FunkZ

Was there not one of these about two or three weeks ago?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

That's only two years away. It's not that big a deal.
    But we could all step out in front of a bus tomorrow and be killed. Live for the moment!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Why do they always stage these events so late?

Mike.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

ScumLord wrote: »
    But we could all step out in front of a bus tomorrow and be killed. Live for the moment!
    You obviously haven't seen those ads with the hedgehogs. Stop, look, listen, don't end up roadkill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Remember the golden rule: Always look directly at the eclipse! If you look away from it, you go blind. Something like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

mike65 wrote: »
    Why do they always stage these events so late?

Mike.
    It's a bitch alright.
    On the plus side, the full eclipse starts at 3am. Just in time ofr the back up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Generally I wait until the morning before I cant see the moon anymore. Either that or just wait for some heavy cloud cover...

Plus, its the last one till 2010? Its 2005 now, so woohoo only another 5 mins..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

For Ireland it is the last one until 2016 apparently (Eircom news page?)

The moon should go a dull red colour as it crosses the shadow of the Earth.

3:01-3:51 is when total eclipse will occur in Ireland - I just hope the cloud cover clears before then!

Is it cloudy outside?
    I haven't looked in a few days.

Terry wrote: »
    Is it cloudy outside?
    I haven't looked in a few days.

I cant see. Its too dark.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭doonothing

What a night! B*witched, Sash, 2unlimited and a lunar eclipse! My night is set :)

doonothing wrote: »
    What a night! B*witched, Sash, 2unlimited and a lunar eclipse! My night is set :)
    Balls.
    I was out a few minutes ago and forgot to look.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Jello

A bit cloudy out now, though it doesn't look too promising for the night.

From met.ie:
    ...thickening cloud and freshening southwest winds will bring outbreaks of rain into the west and north early tonight and to remaining areas overnight. The rain will be persistent or heavy at times in the west and north but lighter and more patchy in parts of the east and south.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

yeah it's supposed to be cloudy tonight, shame

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭doonothing

Terry wrote: »
    Balls.
    I was out a few minutes ago and forgot to look.

You missed out, buddy :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=catZmBYX0Ig

I think I'll just go to bed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

one time I watched a solar eclipse full on and I didn't go blind

does that make me hardcore?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭Don1

I was too tired to stay up. :( Saw one last year though. So eerie when it disappears, before goin red.

Have to see a solar before I depart this spinning ball for the last time.

Advertisement