Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mary Harney and The Fat

• 20-02-2008 4:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if people think its ok for the Minister for Health to be obese. Should the powers that be have a word and ask her to lose weight?

Please note I dont mean for aesthetic reasons but for health reasons. Can the face (or body) of Health in this country be taken seriously when it seems she does not follow basic healthcare advice herself?

Maybe people think its irrelevant to the job she does? Wotyis all think?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

Hah!
    I've been saying this for ages. Its the very reason why our health system is so f*cked. How can we expect someone who can't look after themselves physically to look after a whole country?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,179 ✭✭✭FunkZ

Aye she's a fat mess alright...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Eh, someones own physical condition has **** all to do with the role.

She is paid and employed to run the Health Services. Not be healthy.

The reason they are in a tatters is because Mary is a **** Minister. Not because she is in poor health.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭bookiebasher

The health service is a poison chalice ....the top 10 businessmen in the world could not sort it out...

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Sugar Drunk

it hurts to look at her. and its wrong. how can someone be in charge of making decisions about other peoples health when she clearly cannot make good decisions about her own?

And yes her condition is relevant to the role. This woman clearly does not know what is healthy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

It doesn't but it does make some people take a bad view of her. It is a sort of "do as I say, not as I do" situation, and some people object to that mentality. First impressions last.

It would be like hearing that the finance minister was putting all his dail wages into pyramid schemes, and "investing" in nigerian scams. It wouldnt do them any good either, doesnt mean they would not be a good finance minister.

Or heaven forbid, it would be like someone in charge of the country not having a bank account.
    Or the minister for foreign affairs not knowing the capital of France.
    Minister for the environment driving a juggernaut to work.

It does their credibility no good.

If I went to a surgery and had the pick of 2 GPs, one morbidly obese and one normal, I would go for the normal sized one who looked healthy. I am prejudiced, there is nothing really wrong with some prejudices. If I was to bet I would bet the normal sized doctor knows more about health and might be more interested in his job and keep up to date with stuff.

I have yet to see the government do much to tackle obesity.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,601 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

We did have a finance min.who kept his money in a biscuit tin.

Wonder did bertie nick the tin outta mary's office?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,034 ✭✭✭Wossack

Dragan wrote: »

true, but in the same vein its hard to trust an under nourished chef or a dentist with bad teeth

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭John_Mc

So what if she's fat?

Does the Minister of Finance need to be a self made millionaire to be deemed acceptable to fulfil his role?

Personally, I think she's doing a good job. It's not going to be easy turning around a health system because it's so huge and complex. Anyone who thinks otherwise is a fool :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

hear,hear. One of our finest and most capable ministers ever and doing trojan yet unsexy work on the most difficult briefs. Anyone remember dudlin pre smokeless fuel change. About 1990? A rancid sh*thole. Big boned?

humberklog wrote: »
    Wonder did bertie nick the tin outta mary's office?
    LOL
    John_Mc wrote: »
    Anyone who thinks otherwise is a fool :rolleyes:

Anyone who doesnt agree with my opinions is also a bloody fool. FACT!

rubadub wrote: »
    LOL

Anyone who doesnt agree with my opinions is also a bloody fool. FACT!

OK, let me spell it out for you then... Anyone who thinks the HSE can magically turn around years of mismanagement and planning is a FOOL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 553 ✭✭✭BurnsCarpenter

OK, let me spell it out for you then... Anyone who thinks the HSE can magically turn around years of mismanagement and planning is a FOOL.

Anyone who thinks the problems in the health service are solely down to mismanagement is ..... misinformed.

Slowly slowly catch the monkey. Cover'm in batter and eat.

Fair enough, on reading your previous post it seemed you thought anybody who thought she wasn't doing a good job was a fool.

Anyone who thinks the problems in the health service are solely down to mismanagement is ..... misinformed.
    Indeed it's not just management. The irish nurses are stuck in time warp of systems of best practice,ward sisters are inept (neary case makes point here)and cleaning staff are cruelly beligerant.

And were left commenting on the size of the ministrers arse? Back to original thread...The 'big-boned/it's hormones'weight problem of our minister doesn't effect her application to the job. Saying that i wouldn't like to get stuck behind her on the stairs.

humberklog wrote: »
    Indeed it's not just management. The irish nurses are stuck in time warp of systems of best practice,ward sisters are inept (neary case makes point here)and cleaning staff are cruelly beligerant.

One could argue that it's the managements responsibility to ensure that staff are fully trained and kept up-to-date with SOP's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

So what if she's fat?

Does the Minister of Finance need to be a self made millionaire to be deemed acceptable to fulfil his role?
    No but he'll more than likely end up that way after getting the job.
    I'd say it's at least 90% mismanagement. It has to be the health system just seems to get worse the more money that's put into it. You can argue numbers have gone up but how much of that is due to the mismanagement of less critical illnesses.

I think Mary should be leading by example, she is typical of what doctors say we shouldn't look like. Everyone says obese people are a burden on the health system yet the person in charge of the health system is the biggest chunker of them all. She should seriously look into becoming a figurehead for the nation when it comes to a healthier lifestyle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Wossack wrote: »
    true, but in the same vein its hard to trust an under nourished chef or a dentist with bad teeth

But what if there's only two barbers in town, one with good hair and one with bad hair. Who do you get your hair cut by?

Ther's no arguement you are right but only in the context that ireland shares the same social history as that of sweden or holland. We don't. It was a wierd little country built on conspiracies of silence and ivory tower respect. Like a said..slowly,slowly

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Peared

javaboy wrote: »
    But what if there's only two barbers in town, one with good hair and one with bad hair. Who do you get your hair cut by?

An oldie but a goodie.

Amazing the amount of people who straight away say the one with the good hair.

So in the case of Mary Harney this would mean emm, theres another slim Minister for health somewhere and marys a healthy chef?

Little chef logo?

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Sugar Drunk

javaboy wrote: »
    id go to the one with the bad hair cos its likely the other lad cut it for him. so the fella with the bad hair pribably did the nice cut on the other guy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

You heard it here first folks.

The health service is fooked 'cos Harney is overweight :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 505 ✭✭✭briantwin

Peared wrote: »
    An oldie but a goodie.

Amazing the amount of people who straight away say the one with the good hair.

So in the case of Mary Harney this would mean emm, theres another slim Minister for health somewhere and marys a healthy chef?

This can only be taken in context if Mary Harney has been allowing her dietician to make massive decision with regard to the national health service.

I think that if the government were to maybe encourage her to lose a ton or two. Its simply done. Refuse to give her a lift to the Dail ,ever!! Don't ever let her into the lift, it doesn't matter if she is going to the 9th floor.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 68,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Grid.

I heard that Pavarotti left her all his clothes!!:D

briantwin wrote: »
    This can only be taken in context if Mary Harney has been allowing her dietician to make massive decision with regard to the national health service.
    She probably does though, since I imagine by the state of her, that she is her own dietician, and doesn't have a fuking clue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,031 ✭✭✭Lockstep

She's bringing sexy back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 505 ✭✭✭briantwin

rubadub wrote: »
    She probably does though, since I imagine by the state of her, that she is her own dietician, and doesn't have a fuking clue.

Good point although i can only imagine the extent of her dietary knowledge is Goes on Fork->Goes in Mouth ->Chew (optional) ->Mary is Happy :D

Best thing about a blowjob from Mary Harney:

You know she's gonna swallow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Gridlock wrote: »
    I heard that Pavarotti left her all his clothes!!:D

You misheard, it was Duffy's Circus that donated their old big top to her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

She's bringing sexy back.
    Yeah, but only because it got caught in her gravity field.

Terry wrote: »
    Yeah, but only because it got caught in her gravity field.

Quote of the week.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 950 ✭✭✭EamonnKeane

I think it's worse that she's Minister for Health yet at no point of her career prior to that held a managerial position of any kind in any hospital. She did "Modern Studies" (modernism?) at uni and then became a professional politician, so she can't really be expected to know anything about healthcare. Doesn't she pay a team of advisors €3m a year to tell her what to do? In my view, the current system of doling out ministries and junior ministries as favours to incompetent TDs whose only real skill is vote-getting has resulted in the complete failure of all those departments where deep knowledge and comprehensive planning is required i.e. transport, health. Why not elect cabinet members directly?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

I don't really care, but can you imagine the stick she'd get if she had Victoria Beckham's body.

And Harney will be facing a lot more health complications due to weight. It's a funny old world/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,595 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

The reason they are in a tatters is because Mary is a **** Minister. Not because she is in poor health.

I reckon Harney is probably the only capable minister in the Dail. She'd find things a lot easier if she wasn't hamstrung by Bertie "I bend over for unions" Ahern at every opportunity. The health service is in tatters beacuse of lazy overpaid nurses, doctors, managers, physios, pharmacists, administrators and pretty everyone else involved - none of whom will budge an inch on change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

You heard it here first folks.

The health service is fooked 'cos Harney is overweight :rolleyes:

LOL

She looks after the health of a population, not the health of individuals.

She's a dire health minister, but it ain't coz she's a chubber.

I don't imagine the CEO of aer lingus or british airways or whatever can fly a plane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 162 ✭✭larko

Would we be having this discussion if we had a slim minister for Health who was a smoker? Or maybe liked a drink? Both a burden on the health service too.

I'm not so sure we would.

In saying that, I do agree that her weight isn't ideal given the sector she is representing. It doesn't do her any favours with her critics and the job is hard enough as it is without adding to it.

• Advertisement

I disagree with the idea she's a competent minister.

Health service is a shambles and her ideology of privatisation wouldn't be my idea of how to fix it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

tallaght01 wrote: »
    She looks after the health of a population, not the health of individuals.

Exactly.

I really don't get how people don't understand this in the first place though.

She is paid and employed to run the Health Services. Not be healthy.

Yeah but its the very least she could do is look after herself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

The very least ANYONE could do is look after themselves! She's employed to manage the health service, not to be the model healthy citizen. Her weight it irrelevent, her job is not to give you medical advice, that's the job of a doctor. She just has to make sure that you have efficient and fair access to that doctor.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Beerlao

put the fork down, b!tch !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

My mum's a nurse and thinks she's a very good health minister - a lot better than e.g. Cowan.

It's as if she turned a decent health service into a crap one. Wasn't the health service in sh1t before she arrived on board?

Dudess wrote: »
    My mum's a nurse and thinks she's a very good health minister - a lot better than e.g. Cowan.

It's as if she turned a decent health service into a crap one. Wasn't the health service in sh1t before she arrived on board?

Exactly!

Like when the misdiagnosis of all those women was happening, everyone was calling for Harney's resignation. As if she was the one making the actual diagnosis and should be held accountable for it :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Try to stay on topic folks, we're discussing how fat she is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

Dudess wrote: »

Yea, but she's had years to make improvements.

Instead, her latests campaign which she's wasted the taxpayers cash on....An add campaign telling patients to ask health professionals if they've washed their hands. I know I've ranted about this before, but it must be costing a fortune, witht he TV ads and whatnot. All this after her own audit showed healthcare staff in Ireland are very good at washing their ahnds, and when all the research tells us that overcrowding is the biggest contributor to MRSA.

So basically she's spending millions to shift blame and protect herself. Millions that could be spent on more docs and nurses. Milllions spent on this crap when there's a recruitment freeze.Those ads are basically saying to the public that docs and nurses cause MRSA outbreaks. And the public believe it.

That's just the latest example. She's got a myriad of others, but I'd be here all day :P

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭cheekita

dat woman is a walkin advertisement 4 evey health problem imaginable 2 man-i mean diabetes, heart failure, osteoporosis, kidney failure, thyroid problems, etc. i dont tink d woman is a good advertisement 4 health n dis country nd i tink shes doin a **** job wit d health service as it is. i mean wat kind of an eejit moves all our cancer centres to wher d big cities r?my gran has cancer, it wont b easier 4 her 2 get 2 a city or wherever she puts dese centres. she really sickens me, cuttin budgets of hospitals wen dey cant afford 2 b cut. havin less nursin staff dan shes supposed 2 on a shift-nd who suffers?sure d nurses do but wat bout d patients?its enough 2 make u sick

• Advertisement
Advertisement