Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Ford Mondeo

Options
  • 20-02-2008 5:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭

I know there about a million and one of these type of threads.
    There is a potential that I will lose my company car when I change jobs so I was thinking of a Mondeo. I've always thought they were nice to drive. My budget is about €10k so that'll probably stretch to a '04 or possibly a '05.
    I was just wondering what peoples experiences of reliability are? I know what they are like to drive but not what they are like to live with.

All help appreciated! Thanks.:)

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Great cars. Sounds used buys in the private market. Avoid LX. 1.8 16v petrol and 2.0 TDCI diesel are both very good in Zetec spec.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Silent Partner

Great cars. Sounds used buys in the private market. Avoid LX. 1.8 16v petrol and 2.0 TDCI diesel are both very good in Zetec spec.

Why avoid LX?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

No horror stories I have heard of regarding reliability. They depreciate heavily so they are good value if buying second hand

Go for the 1.8 petrol or 2.0 TDCi in Zetec or Ghia trim. The LX is just too basic and has a weaker range of engines.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Why avoid LX?

LX is the basic model and doesn't have nice toys. LX comes with hub caps, black door handles, no rear electric windows or electric mirrors. LX 1.8 has only 110bhp, 2.0 TDDi only has around 100bhp.

Zetec has better spec including front/rear electric windows, electric heated mirrors, alloy wheels and front fog lights. From 2004 to 2006 it also came with an electric sunroof. More car for the money.

Ghia is rare but came with lots more such as leather interior, cruise control, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Why avoid LX?
    Cause they're the base model and have less power than the rest of the range is why HFIII advised you to avoid them I'm guessing;).

Petrols have Mazda engines, so they'll never go wrong I'm sure, but the TDCi diesels are known for injector problems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

Can tell you for sure that Mondeo gearboxes are troublesome. Clutches can become very hard and wear out quite young.

Track rods and steering rack can become unreliable and are expensive time-wise.

Fuel consumption from 2.0 petrol is quite high, 26-30 mpg mostly. Engines are quite good, refined, avoid 1.8i at all costs, laboured and irritating to drive. TDCis are excellent, but reports from drivers at checkpoints regarding turbo failures have me worried.

Interior trim badly made, roof handles fell off all 4 mondeos we had in Traffic Corps, gearboxes were replaced at least once in all the cars, as well as clutche every 40,000 miles in one of the cars. Air conditioning packed in in all the cars circa 100,000 miles, regardless of how well serviced the AC unit was. State would not replace it

Have since received a clutch (forgive the pun) of Opel Vectras, no such trouble with them, even at higher mileage 180,000 miles on last one sent back to depot.

Having said this, the mondeos were excellent to drive and handled beautifully. As such, we liked them quite a lot, but as a private owner, no way. Ford need to do some better work on reliability and build quality.

Advertisement