Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Care for Solid Oak worktop - tips?

Options
  • 20-02-2008 5:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭

Hi, I've just fitted 40mm thick Solid Oak worktops in my kitchen. I've treated them to 2 coats of triptrap oil (by brush) and I reckon it needs more. In the instructions it says to use a lint free cloth - would that be like a chamois leather?
    Also it is still rough to the touch so I need to sand it down - any advice on what grade of paper(s) to use?

It cost a few quid so any tips on increasing the longevity of this would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

Bravo,nice job. I use that stuff my self on my kitchen worktops. If I remember correctly it was,apply coat,wipe off excess,leave for 12 hours or so,then a light sanding with 400 grit,I used wet and dry. I think I gave it 5 coats. I had the time because I was getting other work done,but I remember thinking at the time it would be useless stuff if your in a hurry. It does get nicer and nicer looking the more coats you give it though and is easily touched up if needed.I rekon every year or so would do for a touch up. It's quite sturdy too even though the tin says it's not. Lint free cloth, an old cotten tee shirt would do.
    BTW, heed the warning of not letting any water get on it while wet (which is one of the reasons a kitchen no fly zone is a good idea,not good if herself wants to do her thing.
    Just remembered,between coats,when dry,after lightly sanding,wipe down with a lint free cloth with some white spirit on to remove the dust(not the same cloth you use for removing the excess,white spirit will remove the stuff completly if wet)you'd be amazed how a little dust can make the surface rough when it's dry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭ScottishDanny

Thanks for the advice esp wiping down between coats. I reckon I can get a few coats done over the next couple of days before going to bed each night and then again when I come back from work should give it 16+ hours drying time. Did you sand it by hand?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

Yes,a very light sanding. The oil raises the grain,the sanding is just to remove that. As you apply more coats you will have to sand less with each coat for it to get a glass finish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭ScottishDanny

cool thanks

Advertisement