Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rallying, the true mans sport

• 20-02-2008 5:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

I'll tell ya something for nothing, the likes of Valentino Rossi and Fernando Alonso race at very high speeds around an open track with plenty of run of spaces, gravel pits and crash tyres about. yes the speed is serious but da lads dat had real b***s between their legs were the likes of Ari Vatenen, Henri Toivonen, our own Billy Coleman and Bertie Fisher and who could forget da real motorcycle legend Joey Dunlop. Now they were class skillful men, who could push their machines to the limit. So the top of my list is Rallying. Group B 'era' da most exciting era in motorsport ever....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 mini mad kieran

well to start off, yar spelling of them drivers names is brutal. they have tracks that are so wide that its near impossible to go off the road. Consider this ya plank, your driving in rally Finland down a gravel and muck road which is slightly wider than the rally car itself, yar tipping about 120mph and there is a row of trees etiher side of ya, you are also gliding through the air over blind jumps and crests, so ya don't even know whats over the crest. can ya only imagine, yar heart would be in yar mouth. now consider F1 ya can see the corner straight ahead of you, which allows ya to adjust and prepare the car for the corner, joe bloggs would make it around that corner, get a life ya dont know what yar on about

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Fat Al

what the hell do you mean!!

You really think that rallying ever had such driver like shumacher, hakkinen, alonso, hamilton. Lad you are clueless.
    These are not drivers that drive recklessly around a road. These are perfectionists at car on car racing, sitting in the cock pit for 2 straight hours at extemly high speeds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

Suggestion.......

Take your meds for schizophrenia and put down the crack pipe :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Tragedy

Watch Ari Vatenen do Pikes Peak.

Jesus ****ing christ.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭afatbollix

rally drivers are in there car all day.. and compete about 2 hours during that day... one of the longest stages in the wrc is 50km long.. and they did 6 more stages that day!!! in f1 they all know the tracks where to brake down to the metre while in rallying they get to see the 300km of stages twice before they have to drive flat out over them.....

ive caught rally cars in ireland doing 145MPH down a single road up a mountain.. a f1 will only do 50mph more down a 1 km flat road..

• Advertisement

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXzkkGqv9Es < crazy acceleration and torque steer it looks like

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKgeCQGu_ug < The venerable Ari Vatanen doing some scary things

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Take the best rally driver in the world, and take the best F1 driver in the world... no one here can touch either of them for driving skill, so no point in arguing!
    Just pick the one you like, relax, and enjoy!
    Motorsport is all good!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭vincenzolorenzo

This is what really annoys me about rally fans. They all seem to have some kind of inferiority complex about F1. Look, i like rallying as much as the next fella and its true that the skill and danger levels are extremely high in rallying. But just because that is the case doesn't mean F1 is any less of a sport. The speeds are far higher, the g-forces on the driver higher, its a lot more intense and there is wheel-to-wheel racing. I think Biro sums it up best in saying 'Motorsport is all good'!!!!! If everyone followed that advice then there'd finally be an end to these ridiculous and pointless 'rallying is better than F1' arguments!!!

Wheel to wheel racing? Are you sure you're talking about F1 :(

I'm a bigger F1 fan than rallying by the way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

*pokes fire* Doesn't the Race Of Champions answer any whos better questions anyway? :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Its like comparing Steven gerard to Ronan o Gara, effectively they are different sports.
    Both play with a ball,just like the drivers are on 4 wheels,the similarities stop there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭vincenzolorenzo

Tragedy wrote: »
    Wheel to wheel racing? Are you sure you're talking about F1 :(

I'm a bigger F1 fan than rallying by the way
    OK, so unfortunately F1 doesn't have as much wheel to wheel racing as we'd like to see but what i meant was that the drivers runs the risk of colliding with another car and crashing that way. Particularly at the start of a GP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    The race is champions is fun to watch but not the way to decide who is the better driver. Sure they give them Citroen C4`s rally cars in one of the stages as their car. Hardly fair on the F1 drivers who are competing against Loeb who is driving his own car :) Both forms of motorsport have their merits and I work with various drivers who all drive different forms of motorsport and this topic always comes up. Needless to say we never get anywhere!

Well, if you look at the ROC buggy, the only car there that none of them drive and is unlike either a rally or a track car, then you could try to judge by that. But you'd need a season on different tracks and surfaces, and mix it between timed laps and racing laps, and make sure there is only one manufacturer for all the teams, not like A1 GP where there are different teams.
    When I was there in December, Schumacher was the fastest of all in the ROC buggy, and I think every driver got at least one go in it.
    But you can't really compare, they're on their day off really, having a laugh, waving over to each other before the race starts. You don't see them salute each other in competition!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭afatbollix

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭oneofakind32

Tragedy wrote: »
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXzkkGqv9Es < crazy acceleration and torque steer it looks like

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKgeCQGu_ug < The venerable Ari Vatanen doing some scary things

Thats not a hill climb, this is hill a climb:D

Advertisement