Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Connecting Standalone Network to LAN

• 20-02-2008 6:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

Hi All

Quick questions for the geniuses on the forum...

I am administering a LAN at the moment and also onsite there is a standalone network for a system here which consists of 2 Computers,a server and a switch.
    My question is what would be the safest and easiest way of accessing that nework from one of the managers PC's as he is going to be running monthly reports etc to monitor the system.

What I was thinking of was putting another machine on the standalone netork with two network cards. One card connected to the standalone 192.168 network and the other network card connected to the 10.53 internal network.

Would I be correct in saying this would allow the new machine to be contacted from the internal LAN and from there would be able to access the information on the 192 network??

Also would I leave the new machine on a workgroup or join it to my domain.

Sorry for the long windedness and thanks in advance.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

corkman80 wrote: »
    also onsite there is a standalone network for a system here which consists of 2 Computers,a server and a switch.

This is a LAN (a 2nd LAN).

What I was thinking of was putting another machine on the standalone netork with two network cards. One card connected to the standalone 192.168 network and the other network card connected to the 10.53 internal network.

Would I be correct in saying this would allow the new machine to be contacted from the internal LAN and from there would be able to access the information on the 192 network??

This would work; another option would be to put a router between the two networks (this can be a regular PC) so that you would be able to access the 2nd LAN from any host on the main LAN.
    Also would I leave the new machine on a workgroup or join it to my domain.

Doesn't really matter, unless you need file/print access to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

You could get a machine and install something like smoothwall on it and place it between the two networks and only allow traffic from the managers machine to the 192.168 network.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 corkman80

Thanks for the replies guys

I'm downloading smoothwall as we speak to have a look at it but it looks like something I might use.

I presume though that I sill still need two network cards in the extra machine I will be putting in..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭FusionNet

There are specially designed boxes for this application, is your budget limited or is it an essential application? These boxes aren't cheap....

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Is it essential that the two are separate or is it just the way they were put in - this sounds like an E-POS system or something. You could put them all on the same LAN and prevent any in or outbound access from the current second LAN.

• Advertisement
Advertisement