Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's your take on this?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Hanley wrote: »
    IAlso, is a 3rd ban automatically a perman-ban or does it depend on the situation and context of the post?

It would depend a lot on what the ban was for i guess.

Lets say the guy you mentioned. He had been banned a good few times for other minor things, had a few minor warnings and they all eventually built up to a perma ban.

I have had one perma ban that occured on the first occasion due to the nature of what happened.

You know how it is, sometimes a ban occurs because a debate gets heated, sometimes it occurs because " X says A about Y".

It's a hard one to call i suppose.

And i knew 6th would be the first person in with a cat picture!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Dragan wrote: »
    It's a hard one to call i suppose.

It's not a hard one to call Dragan. You are being too soft again.
    Get yourself banned a third time, no matter what the reason, then it's perm.
    We're all grown ups here and it's not rocket science. Either you behave like an adult or go elsewhere.

Beruthiel wrote: »
    We're all grown ups here and it's not rocket science. Either you behave like an adult or go elsewhere.

Sorry B.

*starts to write "I will be a tougher Mod" one hundred times on the blackboard*

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Sorry B.

*starts to write "I will be a tougher Mod" one hundred times on the blackboard*

Considering the forum you are discussing.
    100 bench press reps would be more apt ;)

snyper wrote: »
    Considering the forum you are discussing.
    100 bench press reps would be more apt ;)

I'm more of a deadlift man myself!*

* See : has a **** bench! lol

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Cool. But you also need to appreciate that not everything that hacks someone off will be brought to our attention , or to yours. It's the just the way it goes. Not everything can be pointed out and checked....and not everything needs to build up either. Sometimes bannings happen based solely off one event as well.

Ban should be off in about 15 mins as soon as my Interweb stops having heart attacks at me.

Might as well bust out any Lolcats people have been storing.

Sorted. Thanks.

If something's not brought to your attention then it's something I can't be punished for so I'm happy enough there... :cool:

I seem to have access to the general fitness forum but logs is still out of bounds.

6th, serious lol. I can see how much holding back with the lolcats was tormenting you. Thanks for letting this thread run it's course and for me to get sorted before it was derailed!!

6th, serious lol. I can see how much holding back with the lolcats was tormenting you. Thanks for letting this thread run it's course and for me to get sorted before it was derailed!!

It really is a worrying through to think that while we were dealing with the issues at hand he preparing suitable Lolcats. :eek::D

I believe that was me.
    IOne week being the normal.
    If it's a second ban it should be a month and a third six months.
    :confused:

Logs should be open for you now?

Logs should be open for you now?

Yup, all there. Nice one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

Faith wrote: »
    Obviously all mods are different, but I don't think you're generally expected to "plead your case" to be readmitted. Most mods appreciate an apology for bad behaviour and a promise not to do it again, along with a polite reminder. If the PM goes along the line of "Time's up, give me back my access", it'll get peoples backs up, and bans will often be extended because of this.

Perhaps if you post up the exact content of them PM you sent asking to be unbanned, we'll get a better idea.
    Talliesin wrote: »
    I don't think you're understanding the point of your ban.

The idea is that with a bit of luck you'll cop yourself on a bit from the slap on the wrist and if nothing else at least the users of the forum won't have to put up with you for that time.

You PM does not indicate that you've copped yourself on. Why should the moderators unban you? This seems to be an action almost guaranteed to lower the quality of the forum.

Out of curiosity, do people exepct users to apologise after banning them. If I banned someone until, say, tuesday,a nd tuesday comes around and they say "it's tuesday", I'd lift the ban straight away.
    Hagar wrote: »
    We have an "attack the post not the poster" policy,
    I think we need another one, "mod the post not the poster".

I think that's the message we can all take away from this case.

I've nevr liked Hanley's style of posting when I've read the fitness forum. But it defo seemed there was something more going on here.

Dragan, you talk about how people should listen to the moderators, but it's a little difficult to respect your moderation when you've called one of the users on that same thread "a knob"

Glad it's all sorted though.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

:confused:

I lost patience, (a virtue I lack) when that happens, I modify accordingly. ;)

tallaght01 wrote: »
    Dragan, you talk about how people should listen to the moderators, but it's a little difficult to respect your moderation when you've called one of the users on that same thread "a knob".

I treat the forum the same way as i treat doors that i used to work on. I don't interfere unless it's needs to happen and when i do i like to be complete honest about why i am doing it.

The poster in question was being a knob.

People will throw around "troll" and "shill" all the time, which could be considered insulting. I gave the clear reason why i was banning the person. Knobish behaviour.

I'm asking people to follow the guidelines that i am laying out as situations arise. I think expecting anyone to respect you, either as a Mod or because your a Mod, is pointless and not part of the game.

I treat the forum the same way as i treat doors that i used to work on. I don't interfere unless it's needs to happen and when i do i like to be complete honest about why i am doing it.

The poster in question was being a knob.

People will throw around "troll" and "shill" all the time, which could be considered insulting. I gave the clear reason why i was banning the person. Knobish behaviour.

I'm asking people to follow the guidelines that i am laying out as situations arise. I think expecting anyone to respect you, either as a Mod or because your a Mod, is pointless and not part of the game.

well, I'm just saying it because it's personal abuse, and most people would ban users for calling another person a knob, even if the user felt justified in saying it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Out of curiosity, do people exepct users to apologise after banning them. If I banned someone until, say, tuesday,a nd tuesday comes around and they say "it's tuesday", I'd lift the ban straight away.

I'd never expect an apology, but it's certainly a nice touch and shows a bit of decency.

Like Talli said, the point of banning someone is to stop them behaving in the same unacceptable way afterwards. Why would you unban someone who doesn't acknowledge they did anything wrong? They'll just do the same thing again when you readmit them.

My opinion above has nothing to do with this thread or Hanley, btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

on topic comment
    on topic comment
    snyper wrote: »
    on topic comment
    on topic comment
    on topic comment
    on topic comment

All above banned for taking this thread back on topic after the posting of Lolcats.

PM me next Tuesday to have the ban lifted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,395 ✭✭✭Marksie

If something's not brought to your attention then it's something I can't be punished for so I'm happy enough there... :cool:

Why? its not rocket science. Or do you push as far as you can until your told to back off?
    Its basic poster cop on not too do that.

I have read this thread with great interest.

The mods have been far to generous.

You have been given far too much leeway and you come across as arrogant, inflexible, determined to push until you either get your own way or you have tested the limits.
    Plus you have a personal problem/ grudge with mod which is colouring what you do.

Regardless whether you believe you are always right (you werent joking by the way). Whether people PM you and say what an assest you are to the forum, you believe you are better than the rest.
    I would have you gone from the forum permanently for the same reasons beruthiel has said.

What you think you are what what you have come across as here are two different things entirely

well, I'm just saying it because it's personal abuse, and most people would ban users for calling another person a knob, even if the user felt justified in saying it.

Fair point. But once again when i spent the entire duration of my Modship dealing with that same user, repeatedly giving them chances and explanations and repeatedly having it all ignored or thrown back in my face then you can understand why my final banning of them might include what i feel is an apt description.

6th wrote: »
    All above banned for taking this thread back on topic after the posting of Lolcats.

PM me next Tuesday to have the ban lifted.

Quiet you, or the beard gets it!

Like Talli said, the point of banning someone is to stop them behaving in the same unacceptable way afterwards. Why would you unban someone who doesn't acknowledge they did anything wrong? They'll just do the same thing again when you readmit them.

Yes I would. Loads pf people feel they have been banned unfairly. Most people are adults and are entitled to that opinion. I don;t think they should have to express a false opnion to be allowed back in. If they were re-admitted and kept re-offending I'd permanently ban them.

I'm not their ma, though. I'm not here to make sure they've learned a moral lesson from a banning.

Mind you, I've only ever banned one person (except for spambot thingeys).

• Advertisement

Fair point. But once again when i spent the entire duration of my Modship dealing with that same user, repeatedly giving them chances and explanations and repeatedly having it all ignored or thrown back in my face then you can understand why my final banning of them might include what i feel is an apt description.

No, I take your point entirely.

But I think we have a duty to be civil as far as possible, and to not brea the rules ourselves if we are to ask others to be civil and respect the rules we lay down.

Having said that, under the circumstances I'm not sure I'd have responded any differently :p:p

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

I'd love it if Hanley headed down on Saturday for a hug, that would be a great ending to this!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,409 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Time to close this tread i feel.
    Good to have you back Hanley.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Urgh my stomach actually hurts a little after reading this thread. The tension! It's like a thread rugby scrum. I, for my part, will keep my feckin opinions to myself from now on in feedback.
    I kinda get the feeling that, because of the circle of friends of mods and users, from boards beers and socials and the like, that when moderators see someone attacking a friend's post, they may well mod differently, because, you know, they are trying to be a good friend.
    But it tends to come across to casual users like me as an inpenetrable inner circle that daren't be crossed, even in a minor way, which sort of sours the whole boards experience. I would seriously think that the "mod the post, not the poster" approach is something to take on board, and moreso, I don't really see why mods have to personally abuse posters who cross this line, particularly if they have a long history of boards posting.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

Or it could be that they have read some of the previous posts by the user and come to the same conclusion.

I would seriously think that the "mod the post, not the poster"

If that were the case then i would be dealing far more harshly with some people over certain issues, as oppossed to taking into account their history as a poster.

Thats hardly fair either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭togster

tbh i think Dragan has dealt fairly with this issue. He has been curteous and honest.

So big up Dragan

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

See this is the problem with fitness threads on feedback is that there are just too few LOLcat pictures to post up after

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Can someone dig out that picture which G'em posted previously of the group hug? I spent 15 mintues looking for it to no avail.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Here we go:

group-hug.jpg

Advertisement