Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's your take on this?

Options
124»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Thank you for ruining my day with that pic, BossArky

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Jak

Apologies I had been away and missed this little storm.

I don't see any major malice in the comments on the thread in question - just a bit of heated debate and ruffled feathers. The fitness board has run for many years without major issue - I think 2 bans in all the years I modded - i don't think this approach has damaged the board in any way.

Fitness on boards is not team test and there is obviously an element of factions here, prior issues and so on. Let it go.

I think the issue here simply went completely out of proportion and a 'cooling off' is all that was needed - probably for the mods as well in my view. The talk of perm bans is nonsense - this is not the european court of justice it is a web forum - if people are not comfortable with the type of posts in the thread and the imposed 'cooling off' period then they should stay away from internet forums. No significant insults or threats were made - this was not a big deal - personalities simply took it off course.

JAK.

The other 'impartial' mod

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Jak wrote: »
    The other 'impartial' mod
    Nice to meet you. :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Longfield wrote: »
    Time to close this tread i feel.
    Good to have you back Hanley.

It's good to be back!! Thanks to everyone for contrbuting on this thread and keeping an open mind.

I do have a couple of questions I'd like to pose before it is closed tho...
    Jak wrote: »
    Apologies I had been away and missed this little storm.

I don't see any major malice in the comments on the thread in question - just a bit of heated debate and ruffled feathers. The fitness board has run for many years without major issue - I think 2 bans in all the years I modded - i don't think this approach has damaged the board in any way.

Question The First:

Assuming one of the basic rules of the board is be mannerly and attack the post not the poster... Where does one draw the line on what is and is not allowed? If a topic becomes hotly contested, with a few different people partaking in it, when is too much too much??

Hypothetically, say there's a topic getting some posts in it. Somebody says something profoundly incorrect, or even something dubious and disputable, that anyone with a certain level of exp. would be fully aware of, but the poster can be back up with their "correctness" with a reference of some sort, or because it was thought in a PT course it must be correct say... (With fitness, and I imagine most sciences too, a reference can always be found to back up a statement, even tho it may be empirically wrong). Does picking the post apart, and rebuking any subsequent posts seem infraction worthy? Assuming no insults are thrown, but a strong argument is made.

Now say a mod comes on and says "no more of this now". What would be the basis for that? Again assuming no insults/petty slagging is taking place. Should the discussion be stopped because someone is becoming offended at their view point being picked apart?

Question The Second:

Should the fitness section try to preserve friendship/family over the pursuit of truth and improvement? (I know the two aren't mutually exclusive, but lets assume they are, which is more important? Nut hugging and stagnation... Or improvemnent and ruffled feathers?)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Hanley wrote: »
    Assuming one of the basic rules of the board is be mannerly and attack the post not the poster... Where does one draw the line on what is and is not allowed?

If you attack what the person is saying you'll be fine, if you attack them (e.g. call them a simpleton or a retard) then you'll taste the ban-stick.
    If a topic becomes hotly contested, with a few different people partaking in it, when is too much too much??

Hypothetically, say there's a topic getting some posts in it. Somebody says something profoundly incorrect, or even something dubious and disputable, that anyone with a certain level of exp. would be fully aware of, but the poster can be back up with their "correctness" with a reference of some sort, or because it was thought in a PT course it must be correct say... (With fitness, and I imagine most sciences too, a reference can always be found to back up a statement, even tho it may be empirically wrong). Does picking the post apart, and rebuking any subsequent posts seem infraction worthy? Assuming no insults are thrown, but a strong argument is made.

Now say a mod comes on and says "no more of this now". What would be the basis for that? Again assuming no insults/petty slagging is taking place. Should the discussion be stopped because someone is becoming offended at their view point being picked apart?

Because this is a hypothetical situation it could be any number of reasons. I don't think a mod would ever stop people discussing things because someone isn't getting the responses they thought they would or if their argument is getting picked apart, if that is what you are asking.
    Should the fitness section try to preserve friendship/family over the pursuit of truth and improvement? (I know the two aren't mutually exclusive, but lets assume they are, which is more important? Nut hugging and stagnation... Or improvemnent and ruffled feathers?)

You don't have to be someones friend to be civil and polite to them. If someone is wrong tell them they are and point out where they are wrong. You can still do this while being polite.

• Advertisement
Advertisement