Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best zero .223?

Options
  • 20-02-2008 6:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭

Hi all, finally got rifle so now looking to find best zero for her(T3 Varmint .223). Would I be right in saying that zeroing at a point blank range of, say 25m would give me the best effective range? I know twill change with different bullets but all I have at the minute is just 50g Hornady V-Max(dealer gave me 200) so just really looking for the most common range to zero my calibre.

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Trojan911

I'm using 45gr Remmington HP's for mine and I zeroed it at 185yds using a laser bore sighter. Took five shots & has a half inch grouping.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭goldenshower

Nice one Trojan but was looking at other link referring to point blank and "true" zero with mid-range rise in between. Like, I wanna maximise my useability of the rifle. e.g. M16(5.56/.223) is zero'ed to 25M and true zero is 230M so was thinking kindof along the same lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

25m should be a little bit over the line of sight depending on the hight of your scope. This would give you a margin of a bit more than an inch over or under point of aim depending on the distance to your target until your bullet drops below the line of sight again at well over 200yds. . That's if I've been interpreting the Remington ballistics software graph correctly:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭pestshooter7

If you go onto the horandy website it will give you the details of all their loads!
    point blank range it when th bullet doesnt rise or drop 2 inches above or below the point of aim! And in my 223 remy its pretty flat out to 200! Good ammo for the T3 is the 75 grain HPBT match ammo from hornady! Its super accurate in the fast twist of the T3!

PS: where did you get the v-max??

Got to 50g with the .223 on the website but it then went up to 55g with .224 so no good. Got 200 rounds of the 50g hornady v-max off my dealer as a freebie so couldnt really be too fussy as thats what he had spare.

• Advertisement

Wheres the dealer? as im looking for V-Max at the moment!
    All ".223" have a 224 diameter bullet!
    Same with most 22s

Oh, didnt know that. Sorry pestshooter, tis actually 50g accutip-v boat tail he gave me. If u still interested(and travelling down to cork) I can PM u.

They are the best IMO! Great for fox and group so tight its amazing!
    Cannot go wrong with them!
    I want to get hornady to compare results!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

I'm sure they'd have them in Galway Pestshooter.

My rifles not zeroed at the moment but I like to have it zeroed for 200 yards, I find it means less faffing around dialling this way and that as most of my shots are really under 120 yards, so if he's a bit farther out :cool: I'm of no help to ya in the PBR area :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭foxshooter243

Hi all, finally got rifle so now looking to find best zero for her(T3 Varmint .223). Would I be right in saying that zeroing at a point blank range of, say 25m would give me the best effective range? I know twill change with different bullets but all I have at the minute is just 50g Hornady V-Max(dealer gave me 200) so just really looking for the most common range to zero my calibre.

Cheers

50 grain accu tips should develop 3300 ft/sec at the muzzle
    in your 223-for a 200 yard zero-have them striking 1.3 inches above the bull at 100 yards-this leaves them zeroed at 200-you will then be down
    6.9 inches at 300 yards, 21.2 at 400 yards and 45.8 at 500 yards.
    Best practise is then to double check these drops on targets in the field.icon12.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Hezz700

Hi G

check out

www.reloadbench.com

you should find all you need to know on there to get yourself up and running:)

As a personal recomendation i would suggest you set zero at 200 yds

Hezz

johngalway wrote: »
    I'm sure they'd have them in Galway Pestshooter.

My rifles not zeroed at the moment but I like to have it zeroed for 200 yards, I find it means less faffing around dialling this way and that as most of my shots are really under 120 yards, so if he's a bit farther out :cool: I'm of no help to ya in the PBR area :D

Oh i know that!
    I get them in duffys!
    But there out in of them at the moment!
    Yea same here with shots in connemara there nearly alway under 150 yrds!

Nice one Hezz. Never saw that site before. Tis complicated but doable..

Cheers,
    Anto

Advertisement