Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

How many times?

Options
  • 20-02-2008 8:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭

How many times have you sat the test?

How many times have you sat the test? 42 votes

0% 0 votes
    64% 27 votes
    14% 6 votes
    11% 5 votes
    4% 2 votes
    6+
    2% 1 vote
    Still waiting for my first
    2% 1 vote

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Passed first time;), it was no where near as bad as everyone says it is, i did mine in churchtown dublin which is considered one of the more difficult test centers, or so i was told!. Just glad i never have to do it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭squishywishy

Failed today so your post is painful to read Alanstrainor.

Fair play to you though!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

squishywishy - you don't specify the category (presumably it's B). What about those of us who have done the test in many categories? How do we vote? I have done 9 driving tests - failed 3 categories initially but passed second time around.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Failed today so your post is painful to read Alanstrainor.

Fair play to you though!

Sorry squishywishy, hard luck. I wasn't trying to say the test is easy, far from it! I just thought that the atmosphere when you're doing it is quite relaxed and not as terrifying as you'd imagine with all the hype around it.

squishywishy - you don't specify the category (presumably it's B). What about those of us who have done the test in many categories? How do we vote? I have done 9 driving tests - failed 3 categories initially but passed second time around.

Sorry Wishbone, Talented souls like yourself never crossed my mind. Feel free to edit the poll if you wish.:D

• Advertisement

Sorry squishywishy, hard luck. I wasn't trying to say the test is easy, far from it! I just thought that the atmosphere when you're doing it is quite relaxed and not as terrifying as you'd imagine with all the hype around it.

Atmosphere in my car during the test was far from relaxed. suppose it depends on the tester you have. Fair play to you though!
    I had dreams of passing first time. Today ruined a 21 year tradition of never failing anything. never even failed a primary school spelling test. First time for everything tho.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

i did my test 6 times: 4 fails, 1 abandoned and finally a pass.

twice in Limerick
    twice in Shannon
    twice in Carrick on Shannon :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 480 ✭✭Barlow07

I passed my test first time, i got a couple of pre-test before ( which i recommend to everyone ), but i was always confident i would pass, but even i would say there is some luck involved, as for people failing 4 times or more. Id seriously question weather they should be on the road but thats an argument for another day.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,230 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Failed 1st time, passed 2nd time, nearly 3 years ago now.

Got chatting to the tester about half way through the test as we were stuck in construction traffic for about 5 minutes on Muddy Hill in Mallow, definitely eased the atmosphere in the car.

@Rainbowtrout: not being smart mate, but did you ever get the feeling that driving just wasn't for you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭IanCurtis

In Trout's defence, your test seems a bit mickey mouse
    bigkev49 wrote: »
    Got chatting to the tester about half way through the test

You might have failed had you a proper tester in the car.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

It depends how you take the fails - I've tried to use the info I got constructively to improve my driving skills and safety. A driving test fail just has made me try harder so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭stardust_dublin

Bigkev, thats not really fair to say that about rainbow trout taking 6 times to pass his test.. Ive done my test 3 times. First time i failed, fair enough i was only driving about 3 months so had little experience. After numerous lessons, for my second time i was confindent i would pass but i was failed on the brakes. Third time i was also confident I would pass, but failed on observation. I know im a good driver, but ironically none of the testers thought so. Luck has a huge part to play if you ask me.

My sister and I started driving at the same time, we both got the same amount of lessons and drive in similar ways. She passed her test first time.. :mad:

Failed 1st time, passed 2nd time, nearly 3 years ago now.

Got chatting to the tester about half way through the test as we were stuck in construction traffic for about 5 minutes on Muddy Hill in Mallow, definitely eased the atmosphere in the car.

@Rainbowtrout: not being smart mate, but did you ever get the feeling that driving just wasn't for you?

Actually despite what it may look like there, I'm not a bad driver. I'm really crap at doing practical tests though.

The first test(Limerick) was at least 10 years ago I'd say, i was about 19 and I made some silly mistakes and deserved to fail.

Second test (Limerick) was scheduled between 2 exams in college at the time, said I'd do it cos I'd waited 9 months to do it. Went around the route, was probably a bit reckless as the college exams were my priority, failed it, knew I'd failed, a complete waste of time, in hindsight I should have just cancelled.....

Third test - Shannon , this was the abandoned one. had checked over the car that morning and it was fine. Got to the test centre, did the oral part of the test, was half way through test going around the industrial estate, when I made a turn and the tester said something along the lines of 'is one of your indicators not working' so we pulled in and checked sure enough one of the side bulbs has blown, so the tester wouldn't let me continue or use hand signals... so he said they would just reschedule a test for me... was pretty pissed off after that one....

Fourth one - Shannon again - back to the industrial estate! - was getting on fine going around, nothing major happening, came to a slip road, sign was missing so obviously didn't follow whatever i was supposed to be doing.

Fifth one - Carrick on Shannon. Funny place to do a test - no traffic lights. Had only recently moved to this part of the country when I applied and I didn't know where I was going to be living so I gave my Limerick address. Got to the test centre where the tester asked me about the address and I explained my situation. Did the test, thought it had a gone well. Got back to the centre to be told I failed again! Asked why to be told I had gone too slow down one of the streets - 23 miles an hour is not acceptable in a 30 mph zone apparently, on a one lane street with cars parked on both sides and pedestrians crossing all the time. I was still sitting there in shock when the <SNIP> delivered the killer line 'i bet you don't drive like that in Limerick, do you?'
    There was no winning that one.

To this day I have never been able to get up to 30 on that street because of traffic. I doubt I've ever hit 25... anyone who has driven around Carrick will be familiar with Bridge Street.

So onto the final test ... again in Carrick , me praying not to get the female tester. Did the test, came back, tester asked me if it was my first and I said no and he said well you passed with no faults! So there was a happy ending to that one.

Contrary to what it might look like, I'm not a bad driver. I'm usually the one who drives on long distance journeys, road trip holidays etc.

At least the government have made some money out of me and my applications!

Actually despite what it may look like there, I'm not a bad driver. I'm really crap at doing practical tests though.

The first test(Limerick) was at least 10 years ago I'd say, i was about 19 and I made some silly mistakes and deserved to fail.

Second test (Limerick) was scheduled between 2 exams in college at the time, said I'd do it cos I'd waited 9 months to do it. Went around the route, was probably a bit reckless as the college exams were my priority, failed it, knew I'd failed, a complete waste of time, in hindsight I should have just cancelled.....

Third test - Shannon , this was the abandoned one. had checked over the car that morning and it was fine. Got to the test centre, did the oral part of the test, was half way through test going around the industrial estate, when I made a turn and the tester said something along the lines of 'is one of your indicators not working' so we pulled in and checked sure enough one of the side bulbs has blown, so the tester wouldn't let me continue or use hand signals... so he said they would just reschedule a test for me... was pretty pissed off after that one....

Fourth one - Shannon again - back to the industrial estate! - was getting on fine going around, nothing major happening, came to a slip road, sign was missing so obviously didn't follow whatever i was supposed to be doing.

Fifth one - Carrick on Shannon. Funny place to do a test - no traffic lights. Had only recently moved to this part of the country when I applied and I didn't know where I was going to be living so I gave my Limerick address. Got to the test centre where the tester asked me about the address and I explained my situation. Did the test, thought it had a gone well. Got back to the centre to be told I failed again! Asked why to be told I had gone too slow down one of the streets - 23 miles an hour is not acceptable in a 30 mph zone apparently, on a one lane street with cars parked on both sides and pedestrians crossing all the time. I was still sitting there in shock when the <SNIP> delivered the killer line 'i bet you don't drive like that in Limerick, do you?'
    There was no winning that one.

To this day I have never been able to get up to 30 on that street because of traffic. I doubt I've ever hit 25... anyone who has driven around Carrick will be familiar with Bridge Street.

So onto the final test ... again in Carrick , me praying not to get the female tester. Did the test, came back, tester asked me if it was my first and I said no and he said well you passed with no faults! So there was a happy ending to that one.

Contrary to what it might look like, I'm not a bad driver. I'm usually the one who drives on long distance journeys, road trip holidays etc.

At least the government have made some money out of me and my applications!

Possibly the best Learning to Drive post EVER!!!

First time ive laughed all day since failing my test!!!

Cheers!!

Bigkev, thats not really fair to say that about rainbow trout taking 6 times to pass his test.. Ive done my test 3 times. First time i failed, fair enough i was only driving about 3 months so had little experience. After numerous lessons, for my second time i was confindent i would pass but i was failed on the brakes. Third time i was also confident I would pass, but failed on observation. I know im a good driver, but ironically none of the testers thought so. Luck has a huge part to play if you ask me.

My sister and I started driving at the same time, we both got the same amount of lessons and drive in similar ways. She passed her test first time.. :mad:

I'm female actually :) I'm waiting for the onslaught....

ya I do believe luck has some part to play on the day. i do consider myself to be a competent driver, but I know a number of people that I am very wary of when they are driving and I am the passenger. One of my friends passed her test first time, but regularly drives through traffic lights when they are red (I was in the car a couple of times when she did this and I questioned it) I thought she was reckless and I was horrified when she told me she hadn't seen them at all (Stillorgan Dual Carriageway - I was brickin' it!) She has no idea what to do at roundabouts - I think her approach is just aim for the exit she wants, lanes and indicators are not a factor. Some junctions around the locality, she made a point of stopping at but not at others. I asked her why she knew to stop at some and not at others and she said 'well my parents always stop at that one' So really she just follows what she observes without a real knowledge how to drive and follow road markings, signs etc , yet she got a licence first time.

Really the test here should be like in other countries where you have to build up a number of hours under the supervision of a qualified instructor before you are allowed take the test. Being able to perform well enough for half an hour and getting a licence out of it isn't enough for the long term.

Possibly the best Learning to Drive post EVER!!!

First time ive laughed all day since failing my test!!!

Cheers!!

ya it's been an endless source of entertainment when the topic of driving tests comes up in the pub/work etc.

don't worry about failing, just send in another application. you'll get there eventually. I found the fail hard to take as I too had never failed anything ever... then i got used to it :D

I know im a good driver
    Unfortunately, 90% of motorists seem to think that they are good drivers.

I don't think that I am a good driver.

don't worry about failing, just send in another application. you'll get there eventually. I found the fail hard to take as I too had never failed anything ever... then i got used to it :D

Ah Rainbowtrout you're gas!!

Really finding comfort in the posts and support of fellow boardsies....thanks guys and gals :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,230 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Sorry if I caused offence guys and gals but my view is that being allowed to drive is a privelege, not a right. Failing to meet the competency standard set by the state up to 6 times and being allowed to keep coming back is a bit ridiculous IMO. Granted that being able to drive around without any practical test on a provisional is the ultimate silliness but 6 fails is a lot by anyones standard.

Also I see in this thread that many people consider themselves to be good drivers, something picked up by Wishbone Ash, as he implied this way of thinking leads to carelessness.
    Ian Curtis wrote:
    In Trout's defence, your test seems a bit mickey mouse

You might have failed had you a proper tester in the car.

The tester remarked about how long the roadworks were taking, I responded, we chatted for maybe 3 minutes. Any problems there?

@Rainbowtrout: I'm honestly not having a go at you personally. Also I would seriously consider not travelling in the car with your mate who doesnt see traffic lights and can't use roundabouts. I'm speaking from a viewpoint formed by the loss of someone very dear to me in a road traffic accident due to carelessness, it's really not worth taking the chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

failed first test a month ago - 10 grade 2's at least of 4 of which were just stupid mistakes that I shouldn't have made and was kicking myself about for days after and grade 2 for questions and engine check that I'm still confused about. Went straight home and online to sign up for another test, sent letter off to try and speed things up and hopfully won't be waiting 7 months like I did for the first one.

Most of my friends failed first time and passed second - for alot the first test just freaked them out esp the tester sitting silent beside them for most of it. The only close friend to pass first time is the one person I thought would never pass and think is by far the worse driver I know - he never bloody indicates.

• Advertisement

@Rainbowtrout: I'm honestly not having a go at you personally. Also I would seriously consider not travelling in the car with your mate who doesnt see traffic lights and can't use roundabouts. I'm speaking from a viewpoint formed by the loss of someone very dear to me in a road traffic accident due to carelessness, it's really not worth taking the chance.

I agree, an ex-student of mine crashed into me two years ago, passed his test in leaving cert when I was teaching him, he's had 4 crashes to date, two of them very serious, lucky to be alive after them, but still hasn't learned his lesson unfortunately.

i think where the problem lies is that you can be a competent driver and drive carefully but pick up bad habits which will lead to a fail in a test or you can be a technically good driver, sit a good test under supervision but be quite reckless otherwise. which is worse?

At the end of the day a fail is a fail, but I think there is some hope for the drivers that fail on the minor faults - observation etc and they will improve on it before their next test which can only be good for them in the long run. I made a conscious effort to improve on observation after my first test and i still do use my mirrors although the way I hold the steering wheel could be improved!

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭cc

I'm also guilty of using one hand on the wheel more than I should, i usually have an elbow by the window or a hand resting on the gear stick. When i know i'm doing it i'll quickly put two hands on the wheel but usually won't take me long to fall back into the same trap again, especially if i'm crusing in a straight line on a DC or motorway. Bad habits are hard to shift.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

I've done it for the fifth (and final time for the car!). I don't think there's a lot to be gained by putting people who've done it a specific number of times off the road. However it might be the case that the tester could recommend a specific corrective action: so when he gives the statement of failure there's a proviso that you've to do x many hours of lessons before your next test.

It's all very well saying people should be put off the road after one or two tests, but I think that serves no purpose at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Once.
    Passed first time after an initial bout of 7 hour long lessons (had never spent any sort of time behind a wheel up till then), followed by about a year's intensive unaccompanied driving, then 2 pre-tests and a quick read of the RotR book the morning of the test.
    The test was much easier and more straightforward than I'd anticipated from hearing anecdotal reports and horror stories. I'd been quietly confident of passing but was still a bit surprised when I did...6 grade 2's on position, reverse and vehicle controls and a smattering of grade 1's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Bummer

I passed on my first test last year.....Done my test in a 1993 starlet and had to do a 3 point turn with no power steering.......One stage i tought the Tester was laughing at me......But i saw they funny side when he said i passed:D......It involved alot of muscles but got through it thankfully......:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

Passed 1st time.

Got my USA driving license first. That test was a doddle. Drive around for 15mins on a Saturday morn. Drive forward 6m then reverse back 6m, staying parrallel to the kerb. Job done.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

cc wrote: »
    I'm also guilty of using one hand on the wheel more than I should, i usually have an elbow by the window or a hand resting on the gear stick. When i know i'm doing it i'll quickly put two hands on the wheel but usually won't take me long to fall back into the same trap again, especially if i'm crusing in a straight line on a DC or motorway. Bad habits are hard to shift.

Im guilty of this too, and so are loads of others. Having said that, I always felt that the testers are so bloody anal about certain things. When I was getting my lessons, they said to not use 5th gear in 30mph zones as it labours the engine, despite the engine pulling nicely at 30mph.

cc wrote: »
    I'm also guilty of using one hand on the wheel more than I should, i usually have an elbow by the window or a hand resting on the gear stick
    The strange thing about it is that when doing the truck tests, they don't seem to mind as much. Genarally one is expected to leave one's hand on the gearstick for the first few shifts (there are a lot more gearchanges in a truck). When doing the reverse around a corner in an articulated truck the candidate may be requested to do either side - nearside or offside. If doing the offside, they don't mind the candidate rolling down the window, sticking their elbow out, looking behind while steering with one hand.
    Andrewf20 wrote: »
    I always felt that the testers are so bloody anal about certain things.
    Presumably you meant to say 'instructors'. You instructor is teaching you to drive in the manner expected by the examiner. It's unfair therefore to describe him/her as 'anal'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

I'm female actually :) I'm waiting for the onslaught....

ya I do believe luck has some part to play on the day. i do consider myself to be a competent driver, but I know a number of people that I am very wary of when they are driving and I am the passenger. One of my friends passed her test first time, but regularly drives through traffic lights when they are red (I was in the car a couple of times when she did this and I questioned it) I thought she was reckless and I was horrified when she told me she hadn't seen them at all (Stillorgan Dual Carriageway - I was brickin' it!) She has no idea what to do at roundabouts - I think her approach is just aim for the exit she wants, lanes and indicators are not a factor. Some junctions around the locality, she made a point of stopping at but not at others. I asked her why she knew to stop at some and not at others and she said 'well my parents always stop at that one' So really she just follows what she observes without a real knowledge how to drive and follow road markings, signs etc , yet she got a licence first time.

Really the test here should be like in other countries where you have to build up a number of hours under the supervision of a qualified instructor before you are allowed take the test. Being able to perform well enough for half an hour and getting a licence out of it isn't enough for the long term.

Ya, I'd agree with this post.
    It's a silly system. People also are proud and think they're great if they pass the test first time, when in actual fact there's a lot more to being a good driver. Usually, if someone says they're a good driver, they're not!
    I passed mine first time, in Carrick also! 10 years ago roughly. Wouldn't rate it as anything special in my driving learning curve. Keep learning, that's the key!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭babyguinnessfan

Bummer wrote: »
    I passed on my first test last year.....Done my test in a 1993 starlet and had to do a 3 point turn with no power steering.......One stage i tought the Tester was laughing at me......But i saw they funny side when he said i passed:D......It involved alot of muscles but got through it thankfully......:rolleyes:

Same here! Trying to do a seamless three point turn when your arms are straining to heave the steering wheel is kinda hard! Passed first time though also :)

Advertisement