Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

God Bless Lithuania

Options
  • 20-02-2008 8:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭

I have been going stir crazy with the lack of proper pickles in your country. You see, pickles are a lot like what you call "gherkins" but they are edible. With the opening of the new Lithuanian shop on Adelaide Street, I had an inkling they might have some nice, high sodium kosher full sour pickles... and thank the baby jesus, they do. And for cheap!

My hands smell of brine and I'm happy as a clam!

Seriously though, food in there is super cheap... you guys should check it out. None of the words are English so it could be a bit of a crap shoot on some things, but most are more or less obvious.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

I was in the Asian Foodstore (sorry don't know the name) on Connelly Street today, they have some really nice stuff in there. I got some lovely bits, and the prices are good too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

No pickle is good pickle. Unless you like them, which you seem to.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

I don't blame you for your aversion to what passes as a pickle in this place. These are beyond godly. Now, if I could just get my hands on some real Montreal smoked meat with a black cherry cola on the side, a slice of 99 cent pizza, some twizzlers, and a Boustan pita, we'd be in business.

But for now I'll settle for the pickles.

I'll have to check out the asian shop sueme, do they do sort of asian medicine stuff too? I'm trying to place it in my mind and I'm having difficulty.

Where on earth are you from?! (Wild guess - Canada?) The Asian shop is just off Temple Street, Connolly St, an Adult em.. shop has just opened there too. There is also an Asian Foodstore in the Market Yard, over by the garden centre. Asian medicine, try the health food store in Quayside.

Xiney wrote: »
    I don't blame you for your aversion to what passes as a pickle in this place. These are beyond godly. Now, if I could just get my hands on some real Montreal smoked meat with a black cherry cola on the side, a slice of 99 cent pizza, some twizzlers, and a Boustan pita, we'd be in business.

But for now I'll settle for the pickles.

I'll have to check out the asian shop sueme, do they do sort of asian medicine stuff too? I'm trying to place it in my mind and I'm having difficulty.

Aha! Adult shop, I know where it is now. hahaha. (It stuck in my head! Don't look at me like that!)

What country do you think the asian foods were from predominantly, if you think you could guess? I hope they carry a little bit of everything, and I hope they've got some Nori, I'd love to make the sushi I've been craving for a few months now.

And yes, good guess.

• Advertisement

What country do you think the asian foods were from predominantly, if you think you could guess? I hope they carry a little bit of everything, and I hope they've got some Nori, I'd love to make the sushi I've been craving for a few months now.

Connelly St - India/Bangladesh
    Market Yard - Chinese

I think.

Ahhh... I forgot that Indian food is classified as "asian" here. I mean, of course Canadians consider the country to be in Asia, but we kind of keep the food in its own category... anyway, I digress. I hope the market yard place has a bit of Japanese stock. I'll check them both out, definitely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Madge

sueme wrote: »
    I was in the Asian Foodstore (sorry don't know the name) on Connelly Street today, they have some really nice stuff in there. I got some lovely bits, and the prices are good too.

Hey sueme, I walked past there recently, what kind of food do they sell? Is it sauces and rice? Are the labels in English? Thinking of expanding my pallate :)

Madge wrote: »
    Hey sueme, I walked past there recently, what kind of food do they sell? Is it sauces and rice? Are the labels in English? Thinking of expanding my pallate :)

Hi Madge,
    Mostly in English, but the owners are very helpful. They have some nice mixes, I bought a couple, its cheating but whatever!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭tuppence

Madge wrote: »
    I can let you know bout the market yard one in the meantime. Havent been to the Connolly Street store yet.
    Market yard good for getting big bags of rice , normally work out cheaper in the long run if you eat alot of rice. Good for coconut milk and thai pastes, so if you are thinking bout trying out some yellow/green currys ...
    Also dried spice like coriander seeds, and ground peppers, sometimes dried chillis that kind of thing. soya sauces and sweet chilli sauces good too.
    Re language, You can ask the woman at the counter, they are normally very helpful. It can be a bit hit or miss though with their stock at the moment.
    Sometimes its nice to go into those places anyway for the colours and aromas.
    Fair play for trying out different things. Good for you.:)

Sorry Xiney I havent got into the pickles, but maybe just saw too much pickled eel and the like in a previous life....maybe again. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭tulipandthistle

Mmmmm, I'm with you on the pickle front Xiney:D Do they also have cheap sauerkraut in the Lithuanian shop? We used to buy sauerkraut for €0.19 for a pack and saw that it was €2.89 for a small jar in Sligo.:eek: Think we'll check the shop out at the weekend.
    If you are looking for Nori and can't find it in the Asian shop (which has been taken over by Phillipines)we bought some in Tesco, Carrick on Shannon and Enniskillen. We used to buy Kecap Manis (extremely thick sweet soy sauce, originally from Indonesia, from this shop but now they don't stock it:( If anybody knows where we can get it we'll be very, very grateful.

Yes, they have several different types of sauerkraut, reasonable prices, although I didn't pick any up.... I once had the stomach flu and as you know sauerkraut is not the nicest of smells - I've been put off ever since.

Another thing I found there was white vinegar, which I hadn't been able to find anywhere in Sligo (only distilled malt vinegar, which isn't the same thing) so I'm doubly happy.

Yes, they have several different types of sauerkraut, reasonable prices, although I didn't pick any up.... I once had the stomach flu and as you know sauerkraut is not the nicest of smells - I've been put off ever since.

Another thing I found there was white vinegar, which I hadn't been able to find anywhere in Sligo (only distilled malt vinegar, which isn't the same thing) so I'm doubly happy.

I understand aboutr the smell:p I've only seen tiny bottles of white vinegar are the bottles bigger there? Although I LOVE malt vinegar, the white one is nicer for salad dressings. Can't wait to go shopping now!;)

The bottles are still medium, but it's a higher concentration (10%, I believe what I am used to from Canada is 5% but I'm going to have to call my mother and ask her so I get the math right when diluting) so in essence you're buying more vinegar.

Also, 500ml was 65 cents. Can't really go wrong there... Especially since the label was not in English so I had to buy it, take it home, and taste a drop to find out if it was white vinegar.

I made one batch of coleslaw when I first got here (mine is a salad, not a condiment as here) with malt vinegar once, it was terrible. I had to toss it, and I dumped the bottle of vinegar down the drain! Such a waste. And I haven't made my trademark salad dressing in over half a year now, I'm really looking forward to it.

To be honest, not having the pickles was less anoying than not having the vinegar - white vinegar is one of the most basic ingredients in Canada. You can add a teaspoon to a cup of milk to substitute for buttermilk in recipes. A bit of vinegar in a spray bottle makes a great cleaner, and it's great for getting rid of limescale/soapscum/other hard water deposits. It would be like moving to another country and not having all purpose flour, just specialty types. You just want to scream, but this is the most normal type! What is wrong with you people!?

At least now I know I can get it in Sligo - I was honestly considering a trip to Dublin to try and find the stuff!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

I have been going stir crazy with the lack of proper pickles in your country. You see, pickles are a lot like what you call "gherkins" but they are edible. With the opening of the new Lithuanian shop on Adelaide Street, I had an inkling they might have some nice, high sodium kosher full sour pickles... and thank the baby jesus, they do. And for cheap!

My hands smell of brine and I'm happy as a clam!

Seriously though, food in there is super cheap... you guys should check it out. None of the words are English so it could be a bit of a crap shoot on some things, but most are more or less obvious.

Urrgghh pickles????
    Must go in for a snoop, not for pickles.
    I always that it was a Polish shop.
    There you go.

The bottles are still medium, but it's a higher concentration (10%, I believe what I am used to from Canada is 5% but I'm going to have to call my mother and ask her so I get the math right when diluting) so in essence you're buying more vinegar.

Also, 500ml was 65 cents. Can't really go wrong there... Especially since the label was not in English so I had to buy it, take it home, and taste a drop to find out if it was white vinegar.

I made one batch of coleslaw when I first got here (mine is a salad, not a condiment as here) with malt vinegar once, it was terrible. I had to toss it, and I dumped the bottle of vinegar down the drain! Such a waste. And I haven't made my trademark salad dressing in over half a year now, I'm really looking forward to it.

To be honest, not having the pickles was less anoying than not having the vinegar - white vinegar is one of the most basic ingredients in Canada. You can add a teaspoon to a cup of milk to substitute for buttermilk in recipes. A bit of vinegar in a spray bottle makes a great cleaner, and it's great for getting rid of limescale/soapscum/other hard water deposits. It would be like moving to another country and not having all purpose flour, just specialty types. You just want to scream, but this is the most normal type! What is wrong with you people!?

At least now I know I can get it in Sligo - I was honestly considering a trip to Dublin to try and find the stuff!!

Vinegar...who knew??? :D

I use the regular supermarket stuff, strictly for chips and cleaning windows. I will try to respect it more from now on. :)

It is also the best remedy for burns (obviously non-life threatening ones): if you burn your finger cooking, or if you have a sunburn, put vinegar on it. Sunburns you soak towels in vinegar and place them on the skin.

It sounds like it would hurt, but it is incredibly soothing, especially if it's ice cold.

Also, if you add a tablespoon of vinegar to the cooking water for cabbage, your house won't have that awful "I'm 90 years old and I have 7 cats" smell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Madge

sueme wrote: »
    Hi Madge,
    Mostly in English, but the owners are very helpful. They have some nice mixes, I bought a couple, its cheating but whatever!

thanks, must go in sometime and thanks aswell Tuppence.

BTW Xiney, have you tried the healthfood stores around for your ingredients? You might find something, Tir Na Nog on Grattan St. do a variety of food products

I was trying for months to find Vinegar, I tried Kate's Kitchen, Food Experience, Cosgrove's, Tir Na Nog (thought it might be stocked there as a remedy for things), and whenever I was in a little shop randomly for something else I usually had a look around (Vivo out past hazelwood, Spar/Garden Centre on the Pearse road, MACE at the N4 roundabout in Collooney, etc)

All this searching for vinegar and I don't even have a car, means I was pretty dedicated to finding it. But it's been a bit of an adventure and I know more about Sligo than I would if I was able to find everything I needed in Tesco or Dunnes. Every cloud, silver lining, etc.

if you add a tablespoon of vinegar to the cooking water for cabbage, your house won't have that awful "I'm 90 years old and I have 7 cats" smell.

LOL :)

• Advertisement

I was trying for months to find Vinegar, I tried Kate's Kitchen, Food Experience, Cosgrove's, Tir Na Nog (thought it might be stocked there as a remedy for things), and whenever I was in a little shop randomly for something else I usually had a look around (Vivo out past hazelwood, Spar/Garden Centre on the Pearse road, MACE at the N4 roundabout in Collooney, etc)

All this searching for vinegar and I don't even have a car, means I was pretty dedicated to finding it. But it's been a bit of an adventure and I know more about Sligo than I would if I was able to find everything I needed in Tesco or Dunnes. Every cloud, silver lining, etc.

I bought our white vinegar from Tesco in Sligo....

Advertisement