Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any decent camera shops in waterford?

• 20-02-2008 9:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭

Hey there,

Decided recently that i was going to get into photography so in the next few weeks i will be looking to purchase a camera and i would like to have a look around first. I am looking for a proper camera so i will be needing a shop that sells camera's of a little better quality than the normal digital camera. The camera that i am looking to buy is the canon EOS 400D and i was wondering if maybe there was any place in waterford where maybe i would be able to purchase such a camera at a relatively decent price mind you. Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

In a word, no.

Online is pretty much the only way to go if you're considering cameras in that range. I'd probably plumb for the 450D though, although the 400 is still a super camera.

Check the Ultimate buying guide, and read it fully! I'd recommend Kea or Urgalaxy in the ebay section.

If you don't have a credit card then some of the german sites do COD.

Good luck with it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Stemming from our conversation tonight, go for the 450D, and buy online! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭stick-dan

Started looking at it online the second i got home...

Gots to get me the money now. Thanks for the advice..

Mind out for the 'gate that can't be shut' though.

Off topic, but... 02:07???!

Thank feic I didn't stay out with you last night.

Stick-Dan, pop over to the photography forum, we'll sort you out :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Was just about to strongly suggest that you don't buy in waterford but you've already been pointed in the right direction :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Fajitas! wrote: »
    Off topic, but... 02:07???!

Thank feic I didn't stay out with you last night.

Those lock-ins work wonder. ;) Besides, you came straight onto boards.
    Stick-Dan, pop over to the photography forum, we'll sort you out :)

Indeed, tis more suited!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭stick-dan

Will do. Oh and i locked the damn gate. Seems it was only a bit of oil needed for the gates hinges and it closed a treat lol :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 261 ✭✭next

Cabaal wrote: »
    Was just about to strongly suggest that you don't buy in waterford but you've already been pointed in the right direction :)

why not ?
    I find the Camera shop on the key pretty good, If you find something you like online if they don't have it they might order it might cost a few €€ more but at least its local if you have a problem with it

try buy local guys, if they charge over the odds tell them you'll have to buy online and maybe you'll end up doing a deal
    I find this a great site for camera reviews
    http://www.steves-digicams.com/hardware_reviews.html

No offense, but unless you're claiming your vat back, and working as a photographer, no place in Ireland, nevermind Waterford is going to compete with Hong Kong or New York prices...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

Fajitas! wrote: »
    No offense, but unless you're claiming your vat back, and working as a photographer, no place in Ireland, nevermind Waterford is going to compete with Hong Kong or New York prices...

Sad - but true.

Case in point:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-CANON-EOS-400D-Rebel-XTi-SLR-DIGITAL-Camera-4GB-CF_W0QQitemZ250221110925QQihZ015QQcategoryZ31388QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

That works out at roughly €520 (and includes a 4GB CF card). I know it's the US XTi, but is the same camera. One shop in Waterford is still charging €899 for this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 261 ✭✭next

Freddie59 wrote: »
    Sad - but true.

Case in point:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-CANON-EOS-400D-Rebel-XTi-SLR-DIGITAL-Camera-4GB-CF_W0QQitemZ250221110925QQihZ015QQcategoryZ31388QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

That works out at roughly €520 (and includes a 4GB CF card). I know it's the US XTi, but is the same camera. One shop in Waterford is still charging €899 for this.
    my point is, if your after this cam. and willing to spend the money there and then if you point this out to them you may come to an agreement on the price. I would rather spend local, if there's a problem will the product its on your door step.
    I buy most of my cd's from bpm but can buy cheaper on Amazon if I point out what I can pay on amazon more often then not we can work out a price,( saying that most of my music they would have to be ordered for me)
    I paid about €100 over the net price for my cam but I thought that fact that it was local was worth it

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭junkster12345

next wrote: »
    my point is, if your after this cam. and willing to spend the money there and then if you point this out to them you may come to an agreement on the price. I would rather spend local, if there's a problem will the product its on your door step.
    I buy most of my cd's from bpm but can buy cheaper on Amazon if I point out what I can pay on amazon more often then not we can work out a price,( saying that most of my music they would have to be ordered for me)
    I paid about €100 over the net price for my cam but I thought that fact that it was local was worth it

sure if you keep paying over the odds for items, they are gonna keep ripping people off, thats what has ireland the way it is , regarding the price of things here.

next wrote: »

In all fairness that camera (inc delivery) from eBay is €506 - the cheapest in Waterford was €699 - a staggering €193 difference. And if you had the misfortune to buy it in the electronics shop that was charging €899 then that makes the difference an even MORE staggering €393.

Freddie59 wrote: »
    In all fairness that camera (inc delivery) from eBay is €506 - the cheapest in Waterford was €699 - a staggering €193 difference. And if you had the misfortune to buy it in the electronics shop that was charging €899 then that makes the difference an even MORE staggering €393.

Here's another couple of examples:

Irish website price for Canon 50mm 1.4 lens/Speedlite 430 EX flash €494/314 respectively. That's a total of €808.

Ebay (UK website - not Hong Kong, etc) both units €263/223 respectively (delivery included). That's a total of €486.

The difference is - again - a truly staggering €322.

And this is obeying the customs and import regulations. How much markup is there on stuff in Ireland?:eek: It's ridiculous. Everyone has to make a living - no qualms about that. But even if the difference was only half the €322 you would look at buying locally.

In this case it's Canon's international pricing policy, they really rip certain territories off.

Nikon have a more even pricing structure world wide , but you'll still save quite a bit if you go the Hong Kong route.

I've saved about €4,000 in the last two years by going the HK route over buying locally.
    If it was the case of 10 %or so in the difference I'd buy locally. But often it can be up to 50%

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Also I have to say I've found local camera shops lacking service compared to there internet enemy;s, before I bought my 400D I went to a local shop and asked to have a look at it and they said they had none in stock...there was one in the window.

The employee didn't even bother to check and obviously couldn't be bother to help me as I probably looked like a student as I had a backpack with me and stuff but thats beside the point.

As for prices..hmm lets see, many years back I bought two cameras
    Canon Powershot S30 - 400e from net and 900e odd in Waterford
    Canon Powershot S50 - 400e from net and again 900e odd in Waterford

Local shops sure ain't value for money :)

Supporting shops locally is all fine and well and I'm all for it but not when your paying well over the odds for stuff,

Advertisement