Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Optoelectronics Question

Options
  • 20-02-2008 9:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

Hi Everyone,

Not sure if this is the correct place for this but I need help on the following Question.
    A LED is supplied with a flow of pulses at a frequency of 50Hz and this produces a visible output. If the pulse frequency is raised to 1kHz what will be the effect on the light output?

Can anyone help with this or maybe suggest some good website for this kind of information?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭Andrea B.

Considering voltage is above threshold, I would imagine also the same visible output as it is still off for the negative half of cycle so is on for 50% of time, irrelevant of frequency?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,159 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Assumptions have to be made about the duty-cycle here - if it was 50% at 50Hz, and remains so at 1kHz, it will do as Andrea said.
    It's the theory behind PWM.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

agreed, it is a function of time on vs time off, however the way the question is asked I'd go with time on=time off so no change on the level of light

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Patrick07

Thanks for your help everyone :)

Advertisement