Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Slippery Antyre Tyres? (Old thread)

Options
  • 20-02-2008 10:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

I recently purchase some 18" Wheels and tyres for my Ford Focus 18i 16V. Tyre size is a 215/35/18 and the only tyres they had were
    "215/35 Z 18 ANTYRE HP188 84XL" now im sure these tyres are fmaybe not the best, but should work just fine, my problem is these things are slippery as 'ell. I mean if i take off change to second normally than give it gas on a moderately wet road these things spin like mad. It almost feels unsafe to drive over 80 and even putting around a roundabaout that is slightly damp, the car feels like sliding, and sometimes does.

Any ideas what could be the cause of this?
    I have just got them what should I pump them to? currenty at 33 i thinks
    Any advice is appreciated, as driving on these is hairy right now

cheers:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭projectgtr

never heard of them myself, try searching for some reviews, but personally you are answering yourself, they feel dangerous, get rid of them, where di you get them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭bungholio

I got alloys and tyre package from the BK in the UK, alloys are awesome great delivery time and tyres have decent enough review on a site i found as well, im just not sure if they are to hard or they are brand new and that may be why they are so slippery, has me baffled, I will contact the guys I bought tyhem from tomorrow and see if they can shed some light,will post what they say as well,

• Registered Users Posts: 8,794 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

The "Z" on the tyres just refer to the speed rating of the tyre.. Z is for cars that go over say 180kmph.. there are plenty of tyre references online...

As for sliding, i have noticed myself that the roads have been very greasy/damp over the past week, so nothing to worry about, should be grand on dry roads, some tyres are more suited to that then wet roads anyways.

could be tyres for dry conditions

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

I have noticed the same as Tenzor07. The roads have been unusually greasy over the last few days. Must be the lack of rain cleaning the roads off properly and the misty damp conditions???

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 939 ✭✭✭chicken_food

It coudl also be the releasing agent thats used when they mold the tyres. I saw it on 'how its made'. Its like a non stick coating thats put on them so they will not get stuck to the main mold. They always say to take it easy for the first week or so of new tyres to bed them in. My 2c anyways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭bungholio

they seem to be better now, but still find them slippery when wet, but i think tenzor/kol's right as well, another friend of mine said the exact same thing

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

I reckon they are a budget tyre with budget performance. Ive never heard of them. With 18's, good tyres will usually cost well over 100euro per corner. Just dont swap to Nankang NS1's, another tyre common budget tyre out there. They are a disgrace. Look for Toyo Proxes T1R's, Dunlop SP9000's, Goodyear Eagle F1's, Bridgestone Potenza RE's, Continental contact sports. I have the conti's and they are great.

Having said all that the roads are very greasy in places.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 davemck

check to make sure theyre on the correct way... ie the rotation arrow is pointing in the correct direction for travelling forwards?

Advertisement