Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Move to Maynooth?

• 20-02-2008 11:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Hi there

Im wondering if anyone can help.

My self, my husband and our 1 year old are moving to Ireland in the next few months. We have just had sale agreed on our house in Essex.

My husband will be working in the city so will need to commute..

Can anyone tell me what the commute is like.. bus or train..

Is maynooth a nice area to live in? Our budget is €350000 and we were hoping to get a 3 bed for that..

We will be flting over in March and will have a look then, but was just wondering if you could give me your thoughts..

Thanks

Julie

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭quickstitch.ie

Hi Julie, you would be lucky to get a decent 3 bed for 350k in maynooth I think, it's a nice town but congested most of the time as there has been plenty of development recently, shops and housing estates.... most of the year the university keeps it full of atmos too.. during the summer its almost overrun with italian and spanish students..
    It's a very popular commuter town and as a result the train line is almost famous for its sardine like qualities further down the line on the journey to the city, I believe you can get a seat in maynooth tho.. there's a good bus service every half hour I think..

local estate agents are coonans, bradys, bruton-dempsey, o'sullivans, and daveys... myhome.ie and daft.ie are worth checking out too

Overall I like the area, you're not too far away from the city, airport,ferry cinemas, shopping centers etc without being in a completely urban area, there's plenty of green around the place.. rent for a little while to get a feel for the area

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maynooth

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 250 ✭✭Scruff101

The traffic in the town is always terrible. It took me nearly an hour to get out of a carpark in the town the other day. ALso the traffic is very bad in mornings if your husband is commuting.....seems like never ending roadworks into town. If I were you I'd look over the other side of Kildare.....Naas or Newbridge.....the commute is alot easier. Some people might disagree but I've done both and believe me the going to Naas or Newbridge will be worth it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

Newbridge is lovely, and has a lot to offer a family with the Curragh on its doorstep. Houses should be a fair bit cheaper. Don't know about the commute however....

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭sgt.bilko

Hi Jules, another option is a village called Kilcock which is about 10min drive from Maynooth.

Plenty of houses available in the region of €300k.

Train service to Dublin CC isn't bad from Maynooth but crap from Kilcock. I generally drive into MAynooth to catch the train & is a good bit cheaper from Maynooth. Its about 45min to dublin cc.

Have a look at www.irishrail.ie or www.dublinbus.ie to compare services.

Send a pm if you want any more details.

Bilko

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Ballyman

Another option at the other side of Maynooth would be Clane.

There are two train lines into Dublin from the west and south. Clane is 5 mins from Sallins station (south) and 12 mins from Maynooth station (west). Both are approx. 40 mins from Dublin. Both will be packed at rush hour also.

There is also a very regular bus - www.buseireann.ie -at rush hours (every 15 mins or so) that will have you in the city centre in 50 mins.

Depending on the time you would start work, driving from anywhere outside the Co Dublin boundary into the city would be an absolute nightmare.

To be honest it's highly unlikely you will get anything decent in Maynooth for your budget. It's also a university town so there is a very large rental market in the area and as a result a lot of the cheaper houses would be based in primarily rented areas.

There are plenty of villages and towns nearby though that are well serviced by public transport into the city and you would get a lot more for your buck. It's definitely an optioin that you should keep in mind. A 10 min drive to a train station isn't much to put up with for the peace of mind to be living somewhere nice.

I live in the general area so if you need anymore info just send a PM. Best of luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭ixus

Check out here for similar advice.

Now or next year is really not the time to buy, you would be much better off renting for a year and assessing the market then. You will find a lot more houses in your price range come the end of the year.

I really can't understand how anyone can get caught in traffic for more than ten minutes in the town :rolleyes: there are so many different routes that can be taken to get from a to b.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

If you're planning on owning a car, then I'd add support for Clane, for all the reasons above. Not least because the main street's been completely bypassed, so traffic's not a problem :-) I do clane to ringsend every morning in 45-60 mins. It entirely depends on where in Dublin you're commuting to.

Only real issue is that the train station car park in maynooth tends to be full up by 8am or so. But, if being within walking distance to the train is worth the extra 50k or so... :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

the train service is the main reason for maynooth being attractive to commuters, the same thing in leixlip,every new development stresses the train which will get you into connolly station in 30 mins from leixlip and a little more from maynooth.there are plenty of places closer to the citycentre where people spend twice that amount of time getting in in the mornings.maynooth being a university town has a good selection of pubs, a new shopping centre, and tesco are currently building another shopping centre so theres plenty of choice.the massive liffey valley centre is about 20 mins WITHOUT traffic! dublin bus also do a regular service.both maynooth and leixlip have a strong rental market, maynooth because of the university and leixlip because of the intel and hewlett packard factories.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Maynooth has a really nice village, and has character thanks to the Castle/old campus and is lively thanks to the University and all the late bars. The train line is probably the most packed one in Dublin, the train does start in Maynooth so you've a slight chance of getting a seat but by the time it gets to the first stop, there's none, and by the time it gets halfway to town you're losing the will to live. Takes about 40 minutes. The busses are pretty good, there's the 67X in the mornings, as well as the normal 67A and 66, you wouldn't be waiting longer than 10 minutes (at peak times! Weekends have fairly big gaps between busses). Takes about an hour in the mornings, 50 minutes most other times.

Maynooth's shopping centre is a bad joke, it's saving grace is the 24 hour Dunnes. It's very near Liffey Valley though, which has lots of shops, nice alternative to the city centre.

Some areas of Maynooth are very very bad. Stay away from Greenfields. Maynooth's on the litter blacklist of Ireland, probably because of the students..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭ixus

Some areas of Maynooth are very very bad. Stay away from Greenfields. Maynooth's on the litter blacklist of Ireland, probably because of the students..

There's a huge difference between Old Greenfields (the bad area) and Greenfields :eek: The only other dodgy area I can think of is the Harbour at night. Care to enlighten me further?

As for blaming the students :rolleyes: really, do you think that once people go to school/ college they start to litter and when they finish or never go in the first place, they are less inclined to litter :confused:

The town is at its dirtiest on a Saturday/Sunday morning after students/locals/non-locals have emptied the contents of their take aways all over the street.

• Advertisement
Advertisement